keepin it cool

gmncop

what steps need to be taken to have these things run as cool as possible.
want it ready for a chi town summer.have 160,50/50 antifreze , RMI
thanks in anvance you guys are the best!

F body radiator and dual fans from an Intrepid.

RAD: 87-92 Camaro Iroc or Z 350 TPI
Autozone#- 433918

DUAL FANS: RAMCHARGERS STYLE:
98-04 Intrepid family

Squid4life said:
F body radiator and dual fans from an Intrepid.

RAD: 87-92 Camaro Iroc or Z 350 TPI
Autozone#- 433918

DUAL FANS: RAMCHARGERS STYLE:
98-04 Intrepid family

I'm in Houston and have that radiator and fans behind my front mount and have yet to see temps above 170 even in traffic. I recommend it. :)

84TXGN said:
I'm in Houston and have that radiator and fans behind my front mount and have yet to see temps above 170 even in traffic. I recommend it. :)

I wonder if anyone will chime in with the same setup from somewhere that actually gets hot. :eek:

Just kidding! I have family that used to live in Houston, now in Galveston. I remember in the middle of summer driving my 70 Torino with no AC from here to Galveston. I should have driven at night, it was miserable!

Why is the F-body radiator cooler than the g-body?

Why is the F-body radiator cooler than the G-body?

How complicated is it to make it fit, is it drop-in or do I have to fabricate brackets or drill a lot of things, likewise with the Intrepid fans, do they drop in or do I have to splice wires and drill/fabricate brackets?

Remove the cowl to hood rubber strip/seal. This allows the hot air that normally rises anyways to escape.....this is even better than the GNX fender vents!

Wrap your turbo and downpipe with that insulating wrap, to keep the heat in the exhaust system.

make sure your chip turns the fan on at the appropriate temp for the low-temp thermostat. I think mine comes on at 165*.

even a thicker oil can help. In the summer, I use Mobil1 15W-50.

f body rad is a wide row single core aluminum with plastic end tanks
besides being a cheap drop in its about 8lbs lighter

downside is youll need to bend the tranny cooler lines a little to match but its not too bad , and the f-body doesnt have an oil cooler so you'll need to run a seperate cooler or none , i run a second tranny cooler and no oil cooler and the turbo saver

for the fans they pop right in between the F-body end tanks by cutting off the side mounting ears and grinding off the side lip , on the TR rad they just need the mounting ears removed and pop it in. the lower bracket from the stock fan is all you need to install it securely and no drilling (move the bracket to the top)

for wiring the Racetronix hotwire is nice then its a plug and play or cut a harness end off your old fan or from one in the scrap yard

for coolant run distilled and RMI
, 160 thermostat and a chip that will turn it onat cooler temp , stock chip will still hold temps in the 190 range due to high fan turnon temp