KCF tran in my GN

BMR

Bad Medicine Racing
I have not been happy with the shift points or firmness in my GN. I changed the servo the other day and it had a plain servo. I was under the car yesterday and noticed the tag was KCF. The 200C servo and pin helped the firmness a little, and I am going to block the second gear accumulator as well. I am wondering if I can readily buy a proper spring and weight set for my governor, or do I have to replace the whole governor?

Well I know that installing an KC valve body in a BRF trans will give you high RPM shift points generally around ~6000RPM. If your shift points are low, maybe you need to install a BRF governor in your KCF trans?

I would do a pressure test first and then verify what calibration it has

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can handle the pressure test...just happen to have that stuff in stock.

Just curious as to why we need the pressure? My understanding is that this KCF code trans is out of something else. Does a GN valve body have more pressure to begin with? I am used to TH400s and the pressure is just wherever I set it. I know the TV affects the pressure, but I figured the total max pressure would be pretty much the same.

Have you had the pan off to see what, if any paint is on the vb? Dropped the gov to see?

The boost valve(s) and spring affect max pressure as well as the health of your pump. Though the tv is needed to get it there(unless you goto a max pressure vb).

Which th200 servo are you using? Casting numbers?

Yes the brf has a larger boost valve than a "regular" 2004r but a 700r4 or other after market valve really helps get the pressures up.

I put a servo out of a 200C in it. It hits harder in second and does not have the accumulator for 3rd. Have not pulled the pan yet.

This just dropped down on the list of things to do. Turbo took a dump today. Nut came off of the shaft, and probably trashed the compressor. Gotta fix that, then I will get back on the trans.

200 could have had several different servos. 133,134,692(this one has the accumulator)

good luck with the turbo

I didnt look at the number. I pulled it out of a 78 gutless, and had it in my 442. It is physically the same size (roughly) as he one that was in the 442, and ironically the same size as the one I pulled out of this GN (which was the wrong one).

The servo out of the 200C is pretty much one piece with the pin.

692 in the 442 from factory.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I can handle the pressure test...just happen to have that stuff in stock.

Just curious as to why we need the pressure? My understanding is that this KCF code trans is out of something else. Does a GN valve body have more pressure to begin with? I am used to TH400s and the pressure is just wherever I set it. I know the TV affects the pressure, but I figured the total max pressure would be pretty much the same.
Without looking at the vb there's no way of knowing if it really is a KC. I've used various cases over the years with various vb's. The two vb's are quite a bit different from each other. The pressure regulator will determine the potential pressure. I commonly use a KC vb with an altered pressure regulator and a few other mods in turbo Regals for higher automatic shift points. The pressure rise, hole sizes, and the pressure regulator itself can change the shift quality drastically. The governor circuit will change the shift point relative to driveshaft speed and throttle position.

When you say governor circuit, does this entail more than the springs n weights on the governor itself? Or is the MTV valves or others involved also?
I'm still learning and studying the ways to make one of these do what I want without driver input other than throttle.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Anything that' governor oil would hit.