Just put in the 009's and...

qwic87gn

as soon as the car is shut off the fuel pressure drops immediatly to 0. With my 30#ers it would take about 15-20 min to drop from 45 to 0. What the hell is going on? I've driven the car and it runs fine and acts normal. What would cause this?

:confused:

No its not normal. Even my wore out 75k stockers would hold pressure for 10 min. My blue tops have 20psi pressure right now and I have not driven the car for four days.

Are the injectors new? Did you use all new O rings? How old is the fuel pump? Regulator?

Either the fuel is leaking into the engine (bad, will dilute your oil)

Or its backing back up into the tank (regulator or fuel pump)

Or its leaking onto the manifold (O rings)

I lose pressure after shutting off as well, but not suddenly. It takes about 10 minutes or so. Also, my fuel pressure gauge reads in the mid 20s at idle and rises accordingly with boost. My O2 counts are low 800s so I know it's not running lean. The pump is new, injectors have about 2 years on them, and the regulator has about 3 I think. I have tried adjusting the pressure with the regulator, with little luck. I can raise it with my K-B boost-a-pump though. Regulator my problem or just bad gauge?

The 009's are brand new pte. Everthing was fine until I changed out the tomco with these.

More than likely its going right into the crankcase. These injectors were flow matched and performed great (supposedly).

Originally posted by OneLethal87GN
I lose pressure after shutting off as well, but not suddenly. It takes about 10 minutes or so. Also, my fuel pressure gauge reads in the mid 20s at idle and rises accordingly with boost. My O2 counts are low 800s so I know it's not running lean. The pump is new, injectors have about 2 years on them, and the regulator has about 3 I think. I have tried adjusting the pressure with the regulator, with little luck. I can raise it with my K-B boost-a-pump though. Regulator my problem or just bad gauge?

Check the gauge first. Rail mounted ones sometimes go bad from vibration. You have an adjustable reg and the FP will not rise at all? If so it may be time for a rebuild, but check the gauge 1st. Thats easy

Originally posted by qwic87gn
The 009's are brand new pte. Everthing was fine until I changed out the tomco with these.

More than likely its going right into the crankcase. These injectors were flow matched and performed great (supposedly).

Just a thought but is there a check valve in the pump that is supposed to keep the fuel from backing up when the power is cut? If so it may be bad. I would contact PTE, because one of the injectors could be leaking. When you start the car do you get a puff of black smoke like fuel has been sitting in the cylinders?

There is no black smoke. Starts up great, no hesitation or sputtering. The oil does smell a little like gas.

It's kinda dissapointing to think you buy new injectors and one of them if not more is bad. I hope its an injector and not something else.

Is there any way for me to test the injectors to see if they are faulty short of taking them to injection shop?

Well, I have the Kenne Bell hood-mounted gauge. A hole had been cut in the line from lying on the alternator, but I replaced it recently with a new one from K-B. Maybe sitting there all this time unconnected may have let some trash into the old line and up to the gauge. I plan on getting a rail-mounted gauge, but since I have a rattling noise coming from my engine, it'll have to wait.

To keep it in perspective, it only takes a slight "dribble" of fuel to depressure a liquid filled system, as liquid is not compressible. FWIW, my new PTE MSD#50's fall off to zero after 15 minutes or so, while previous red stripes held pressure for days.

pull the plugs and see if you have a wet cylinder(s)

You may have an injector that is stuck wide open. Sometimes happens with new injectors.

Originally posted by Steve Wood
pull the plugs and see if you have a wet cylinder(s)

You may have an injector that is stuck wide open. Sometimes happens with new injectors.

How do you get it to close if that is in fact the case?

Its not like the pressure goes down in a few min.
It goes from 45 to 0 in 2 sec.

Most likely, you will have to get another one, but, you can tap it with an extension or such to see if some vibration might unstick it.

hmmm 45lbs to zero in 2 seconds? That is a lot of gas going somewhere.
Have you ever cracked the fuel rail Schrader valve while under pressure? There's a lot of fuel in there and I doubt its all going thru one injector in just 2 seconds.
I've had poor experience with FP regulators so I'm naturally suspicious right there.
Don't know if the pump has a check valve, but even if it didn't I'd think the pumping mechanism itsself should cause more restriction than what you indicate?....

I'm leaning towards an injector stuck wide open. Maybe there is a piece of depri in one of them.

Will blowing air through the injectors harm them? I wouldnt think so but maybe there is somthing im not aware of that could hurt them.

Think a bottle of highly concentrated injector cleaner could fix a stuck injector? If not, it's only a few bucks to try.

When my car did that (drop pressure in about 2 seconds) is was the regulator.It had a small piece of trash on the seat.Cleaned it and all was fine.

forgot about regulator check that also but i doubt a stuck injector only because you did not complain about a hard start if the injector is leaking down that fast into one cylinder and the rail does hold alot of fuel you would have a hard restart and rough running engine also i doubt if all injectors leaking how does the oil smell if injector is leakin oil should smell like raw fuel after a couple of restarts