Just got my new fan from Ramcharger

GNflyby

The Video Guy
The little brown truck just dropped off my new addition. I got it with the GN adapt harness, so much easier. I can't wait to install it, my baby will be chillin this summer... lol. :) It came to $111.93 with shipping, not a bad deal! What do you guys think?

fan7uu.jpg

I bought that setup last summer and love it. It knocked 20 degrees off of the motor on 100+ degrees heat. All I did to install it was cut off the ears, notch the side where I made the cut, and snap it in place between the end tanks. That thing is not going anywhere. BTW, I got the simple mounting idea from Nick Micale.

Originally posted by BuickMike
I bought that setup last summer and love it. It knocked 20 degrees off of the motor on 100+ degrees heat. All I did to install it was cut off the ears, notch the side where I made the cut, and snap it in place between the end tanks. That thing is not going anywhere. BTW, I got the simple mounting idea from Nick Micale.

Thanks for the tip. :)

I thought about mounting mine that way, but just couldn't get around the idea of the shroud rubbing against the radiator core. Don't know if long term with the vibration of the radiator, core support etc. if it would wear on the core or not? They are definitely a great upgrade!:)

hell, for that price im gonna order one also, along with the wiring adapter

You could put some foam weatherstrip between the shroud and the radiator.

I've got one of these fans too, but haven't installed it yet. Any pics of that simple install? I've already cut the ears off, but I'm not clear on exactly what to notch.

Here's a blurry pic of what I did. The unit snaps in real tight. You really want to have it up against the core. If you have a gap, you are losing efficiency.

Attachments

• fans.jpg
    fans.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 618
Ok, I get it now... thanks for the pic! I think I might go try to install mine this afternoon. Hope my front mount tubing isn't going to cause problems.

Thanks again!

back in the days i got the same set up as you did, for under $80.00 they had them onsale then, my car runs 165 to 176 all the time with AC on and heat about 90 here in california..

Originally posted by GNflyby
The little brown truck just dropped off my new addition. I got it with the GN adapt harness, so much easier. I can't wait to install it, my baby will be chillin this summer... lol. :) It came to $111.93 with shipping, not a bad deal! What do you guys think?

fan7uu.jpg

Are there wiring issues with this fan? I thought I read there were issues, and you have to do some re-wiring.

Also, is this the same fan that is on sale for $79 without the adapter? What exactly is the adapter, just a pair of weatherpack type plugs? Does it operate 2 speeds?

I got mine installed this afternoon. I already had cut the ears off earlier. I notched it with an angle grinder, and it snapped right in. I did have to place a block at the bottom to raise it up a bit, otherwise the corner was resting on the steering box. I used a piece of 1.5" x 6" (1" finished thickness) and cut it down so I had a piec 1" x 2.5" x ~18". It fit snugly between the rad support and the rad, and the tab on the bottom of the fan shroud slipped in between it and the rad, so it's nice and snug at the bottom. Yeah, it's sorta trailer park, but it's functional and I couldn't come up with anything better.

I was worried about interference with my homemade front mount IC tubing, but I had *just* enough clearance.

If anyone has any suggestions for raising the fan that are better than my woodshop special, please post 'em.

P4060017.JPG

P4060022.JPG

Mine is in so tight that there's no way it can slide up or down. I actually have an aftermarket radiator now that I think of it. You may have to fab up some brackets then.

These fans are one speed only. In order to make them work on high spees you need to pull the spade connector out of the stock fan plug, put it in the empty middle hole in the adapter plug, and solder the wire to the other positive terminal on the adapter plug.

I believe Racetronix sells a wiring harness with relays so you can "Hotwire" your fans like you would a fuel pump. The dual fans pull alot more amperage than the stocker and I heard the power wire can get pretty hot. No problems here though. I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

I was thinking about wiring each fan motor independently to the existing fan relays. Anyone do this?

So what exactly is holding the fan in place? Do you have some sort of straps? I would think that friction holding it in would be that safe.

I got fan in last week and about ready to install it, but was curious how to secure it to the radiator. Thanks

Matthew

got my fans in, work great. coolant temp dropped 18 degrees with the a/c on.

these are a must with a front mount. IMOP

Originally posted by Warp Six
I got mine installed this afternoon. I already had cut the ears off earlier. I notched it with an angle grinder, and it snapped right in. I did have to place a block at the bottom to raise it up a bit, otherwise the corner was resting on the steering box. I used a piece of 1.5" x 6" (1" finished thickness) and cut it down so I had a piec 1" x 2.5" x ~18". It fit snugly between the rad support and the rad, and the tab on the bottom of the fan shroud slipped in between it and the rad, so it's nice and snug at the bottom. Yeah, it's sorta trailer park, but it's functional and I couldn't come up with anything better.

I was worried about interference with my homemade front mount IC tubing, but I had *just* enough clearance.

If anyone has any suggestions for raising the fan that are better than my woodshop special, please post 'em.

all i did was use the bracket off the stock fan that came out. dont have the car hear but i think i jst nutted and bolted the bracket on to the new fan. hth

P4060017.JPG

P4060022.JPG
:D :D :D

Originally posted by Hognose
So what exactly is holding the fan in place? Do you have some sort of straps? I would think that friction holding it in would be that safe.

I got fan in last week and about ready to install it, but was curious how to secure it to the radiator. Thanks

Matthew

If you look at your radiator, there is a gap between the core and the lip on the end tank. The side of the fan shroud fits in real tight. I really had to pry mine in and now I can't budge it. Unless I decide to drive my car like the General Lee, it's not going anywhere.

so this doesn't bolt right up? i'm kind of confused as to what everyone cutting and modifying to get this to mount up.:confused: :confused:

What are the odds?

I got my fan last week. I spent a little time over the weekend re-wiring it for 2 speed operation. Frankly, I'm not too thrilled with the pigtail GN adapter they sell with it. It could easily have been wired for 2 speed operation, regardless of your desire to install your own relay(s) but it was not.

I test fit the unit last night, and fabricated a quick little aluminum bracket to accept the factory lower fan support bracket. I had to cut off one of the 4 tabs to get it in. I didn't want it resting against the radiator core.

I probably would have left the fan installed, but I didn't expect issues with my alcohol can. It won't fit anymore (SMC). Since I won't go a day without alcochol ;) , I decided to re-install the factory fan until I can make provisions for the alcohol. Now the factory fan DIED. I have to push start it, then it runs maybe 15% and makes noise. Perhaps it was on it's last leg, and placing it horizontal on my bench caused bearing issue. Oh well. Tonight I will finish it all up.

Originally posted by crownvic96
so this doesn't bolt right up? i'm kind of confused as to what everyone cutting and modifying to get this to mount up.:confused: :confused:

No, it doesn't bolt up. It is an OEM fan for a different application. There are several ways to fit it, but the idea presented here worked well for me. All you do is:

1) Cut the ears off flush with the shroud. I just used a hacksaw for this.

2) Grind notches where the ears were as shown in BuickMike's pic posted above. I used a 4" grinder.

Make sure you measure the depth from the face of the core to the lip of the end tanks so you know exactly where to make the notches.

The radiator will snap in between the end tanks, with the notches holding it in place.