Just finished the 6262 DBB install

Bringing back from the dead, My dbb 6262 is now installed and did a little driving around with it today but the opportunity to really get into it didn't happen. I changed quite a few things so just wanted to basically take it around the block put some fresh gas in it and check for leaks. From what little driving I did with it, sure feels different than my TA49. :D Butt dyno says it is a totally different car now. Weird how the turbo whistle is pretty much gone vs the 49.

Still have to put the turbo shield on and start tuning on it. Changed so many things at once I didn't know what to expect but the car fired right up and drives nice right out of the box. 60 lb injectors, new Extender Extreme chip, 70mm throttle body and plenum, fuel regulator, Turbo Saver oil setup, cooling lines for turbo, EGT install, 4" MAF pipe, oil catch can and new radiator top plate. Also rigged up a pressure gauge for my alky kit, you can see it coming off the line right before the nozzle. Going to replumb with a 90 for neater installation. Running that gauge side by side with my regular fuel pressure gauge on the hood. Goes to 200 psi so think that should be high enough.

Attachments

• newturbo1.jpg
    newturbo1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 684
  • newturbo2.jpg
    newturbo2.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 712
  • newturbo3.jpg
    newturbo3.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 697
  • newturbo4.jpg
    newturbo4.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 705
  • newturbo5.jpg
    newturbo5.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 703
wow !! awesome setup man ! just beautiful

They say that turbo can flow up to 800 whp

could that be true ....?

actually , It was some evo that I heard was running it and it might of been near 40 psi ....

I dunno if it was true or not , but it was incredible high for what i thought was a 62 mm turbo

but I guess not, eh :cool:

I was just looking for some specs for comparison ... and I just found that the 62 , should be good for 700+ whp ....

But I still havent found the direct specs
how come these actuall specs are so hard to find :mad:

actually , It was some evo that I heard was running it and it might of been near 40 psi ....

I dunno if it was true or not , but it was incredible high for what i thought was a 62 mm turbo

but I guess not, eh :cool:

I was just looking for some specs for comparison ... and I just found that the 62 , should be good for 700+ whp ....

But I still havent found the direct specs
how come these actuall specs are so hard to find :mad:

Those specs are HP ratings at the crank. I am finding that almost all the turbos being bought for 90% of the combinations on this board will never realize the indicated HP numbers that are speced out for that particular turbo unless ur running 30+ PSI. Atleast that is what has been told to me lately by someone who knows a hell of a lot more then I do.

The bigger is not always better is IMO opinion just about maxed out with these newer style turbos. 6262, 6765, 6776, etc.. can pretty much make more power then any street car will be able to put to the ground and actually get any traction. I think anywhere above 600 rwhp and traction becomes a real issue unless ur runnen slics.

So what really matters is how fast the turbo is gonna get into full boost. But thats not a problem cause these things reach full boost in under a second so personally I think people like myself runnen stock internals are limited to a the power of 6776 but probably better suited for a 6262.

But even guys with girdled and upgraded bottom end are still limited to 600 rwhp on the street before traction becomes an issue.

Since most of us wont go above 25 PSI on the street w/ pump gas/Alky it really comes down to what turbo is gonna make the most power with the quickest spoolup at that PSI. That is all that really matters when it comes to a street car imo.

You can dyno all the power you want. So what? My last car was a S2 w/ a 76mm turbo. I didn't get a chance to drive it much but the few times I took it out it was just lame compared to my 6776 DBB .63.

This is my first true street car and I am learning that useable power is far more important then the dyno sheet.

I do like that 6765 Billet tho. I'm tempted to sell mine and get one of those. Don't need it, just want a turbo with a billet wheel in it..:biggrin: Bison and Otto will tell me I don't need it, then call me an azzhole for buying something a totally don't need...:mad: :rolleyes: :biggrin: Anyone need a 6776 dbb .63?:D

Anyone need a 6776 dbb .63?:D

Your shot:biggrin: Dave Reed would be game for one. He could sell his journal 6776 that he went 128mph at 27psi weighing 3800lbs with a dinosaur AC converter. With the BB it will be easier for him to get a tighter converter spec'd

and not with a Buick 3 bolt flange

sorry I am unfamiliar with the buick flange

is that like a T3 exhaust flange ?

from another site
"These turbos are rated way below their maximum output, as we were able to extract 780awhp out of a 62/62 which is only rated to 670chp."

Look like sweet setup to me ! ! ! !:cool:
talk about instant spool up

So how do you think it will compare to say a 6776 dbb standard wheel ??
what will the difference be in terms of spool , and power at lower pressures?

The buick has a 3 bolt flange. Most other turbo set ups use a 4 bolt square flange vs our 3 bolt triangle.

Have to rethink my boost control

Well, got a chance to let er rip a little today and have some boost control issues. Was running my old setup that worked fine with the TA49 but guess it isn't going to cut it with this turbo!

Have a Boost Commander hooked up to dual stock wastegate solenoids plumbed into my external wastegate. With the boost commander turned almost all the way down I was still getting 25 lbs of boost at around 110 mph. Wasn't going to push it farther so I let off. Ported the crap out of the wastegate hole to match up with the pipe to the wastegate so going bigger on that isn't going to solve anything. Guess I will just go with a Turbonetics type of boost controller and call it a day. Wastegate on the downpipe is a 38mm unit AND worked fine with the 49.

Got an issue with high BLM's at idle but that is another thread.:smile:

It seems like these newer style turbos are moving tons of air. I am switching to a Tial 44mm and controling it with CO2. Might be overkill but CO2 is cheap so who cares.

So how did you like that turbo? How does it compare to ur older one?

Mark I have the DBB GT70 on my car and it works just fine with the stock HD wastegate and two solenoids and a BSTC.

Check your spring(s) and the wastegate hoses.

Disconnect both solenoids and run the hose direct to the external gate and see what you get for boost.

Something isn't adding up there....

Well, got a chance to let er rip a little today and have some boost control issues. Was running my old setup that worked fine with the TA49 but guess it isn't going to cut it with this turbo!

Have a Boost Commander hooked up to dual stock wastegate solenoids plumbed into my external wastegate. With the boost commander turned almost all the way down I was still getting 25 lbs of boost at around 110 mph. Wasn't going to push it farther so I let off. Ported the crap out of the wastegate hole to match up with the pipe to the wastegate so going bigger on that isn't going to solve anything. Guess I will just go with a Turbonetics type of boost controller and call it a day. Wastegate on the downpipe is a 38mm unit AND worked fine with the 49.

Got an issue with high BLM's at idle but that is another thread.:smile:

Mark,
I had to pull that same boost controller off the car I did a 6262 on. Too unpredictable. With the dial down it was 15psi, just touch the dial and it was 28. I prefer running the gate in tuner mode.

Mark I have the DBB GT70 on my car and it works just fine with the stock HD wastegate and two solenoids and a BSTC.

Check your spring(s) and the wastegate hoses.

Disconnect both solenoids and run the hose direct to the external gate and see what you get for boost.

Something isn't adding up there....

nice