Just curious?

turbo39151

anycoloraslongasitsblack
Has anyone compiled a comprehensive list of the GNX's and where they are? Also, I was curious if there were only 547, how many have been wrecked and how many still survive? One of these days I'll get my hands on one... :cool:

I've talked to those guys and while they've been working on various lists they do not have any info available on numbers of cars that are left over. Personnaly, I could care less about the GNX because I don't have one nor do I really want one (I'd never be able to drive it for fear of adding miles and loosing value). Sure it would be cool to have in a collection but, I like to drive my cars. Anyway, the reason I asked was that if there were only 547 "numbered" cars, people must know where they're all at. If it was shown that there are only 400 left after 20 some odd years wouldn't that translate into higher values? Like I stated before, just curious...

turbo39151 said:
I've talked to those guys and while they've been working on various lists they do not have any info available on numbers of cars that are left over. Personnaly, I could care less about the GNX because I don't have one nor do I really want one (I'd never be able to drive it for fear of adding miles and loosing value). Sure it would be cool to have in a collection but, I like to drive my cars. Anyway, the reason I asked was that if there were only 547 "numbered" cars, people must know where they're all at. If it was shown that there are only 400 left after 20 some odd years wouldn't that translate into higher values? Like I stated before, just curious...
----------------------------------
I seriously doubt that any such list will ever be released, even to current GNX owners, although I am sure that some people are trying to hake a list.

I'd bet very few are gone . 2 are gone from up here in the NE area ..BUT if someone has the bones of the car's I'd bet it surfaces again :eek:

So, why is it that a "list" of what is still around is so elusive? Is it that big a secret? And if it is top secret, why? I would think it would give collectors a range of value and prevent fakes from popping up if their "numbers have been retired". Also, I suppose it would give collectors a pedigree with which to document the cars- like any of ther collectible.

For example: I have heard rumor that the GN with the Astroroof and Power Seat option is rare because it was discontinued due to lack of head room. If this is so, I have a rare car. Thus, it would be beneficial to have an idea how many of these were actually made and how many exist.

- Gary, I just recieved the extended post. I understand about the security concerns. (My 86 T-Type, my baby, was stolen while I was stationed in Korea over 10 years ago.- It was one of the worst things that ever happened to me-or my car for that matter :mad: )

I wasn't thinking about a list that named names and addresses- that's just asking for trouble- geez, I don't even leave my gargae open too long when I'm moving cars around for this very reason. I was just thinking of a list such as the Sy/Ty guys have compiled. They are fairly comprehensive and merely track the numbers and the last state they were registered in along with pics submitted by the owners. I was actually able to do a thorough search when I was looking at buying one. Anyway, like I said before, just curious... :confused:

sorry I wouldn't make my list public IF I had one .. I did have one for 427 Cobra's way back when .... I did tell a few other Cobra guys that I knew what I had found.. there were fake Cobra's around to !!! and still pop up today !!
Now if ya did have a list that was public all a scammer would need to do is look at the one's "known" list and come up with an "unknown" car.. ya I found it in a barn after the owner died :rolleyes: :eek: :p

We had guys chiming in when this GNX only category came up a few months back about where they were and what number they had. I don't understand the secrecy either. I was at a cruise this past friday with mine and it was agreed that mine is the only one that gets driven around and to cruise shows in S. Florida. No will ever get to enjoy these cars if they sit in a garage.

lot's are sittin in barns and garages :eek: :p some people have to many cars :biggrin:

This is one tough question!

I am sure that it will be quite a task to get an estimate of how many of these cars are left...some were never dealer prepped let alone driven...while others were used as daily drivers...

A list of all VIN numbers for our cars does exist and even with the growing number of clones on the market a GNX can be verified by its VIN...all GNX's are listed on this list from ASC Mclaren.

Well, for instance, there's several guys who hang out on this GNX section of the board. Thus, we have a smattering of numbered cars (supposedly documented). Then, there's the gnregistry and they have a few. I'm sure "we" could find 100+ cars simply listed in various TB boards. And maybe ebay (by checking vins)

My original curiosity concerned finding the status of all the cars. Comparing VINs, etc., to officially document the cars and then confirm cars that are no longer with us. Then, no one could cheat and say they have #xyz... when we'd all know that it's not true. However, I suppose that some people are very industrious and could manage to make exact copies of the missing GNX's with matching vins and all. But, if this were the case why not make copies of cars that are more valuable? :confused:

I have to admit that I can't find a single reason to have a "LIST" of GNX data that serves no useful purpose other than to do the old "I know something you don't." WHOGAS already. :cool:

I don't know that a list would do any good because that is just going on someones word and who's to say that a crook isn't going to put his clone on the registry with no verification if it's real or not they could say to a potential buyer look it's on the registry so it's real! Some of these guys are so good with clones that if you don't know exactly what to look for you could easily be fooled!! :eek: I don't know about how many are left, but I know about 50 of them personally maybe a few more or less!! Anybody know where the largest concentration is? I would be willing to bet it's my small town of 25,000 people, there are 7 of them here in my little town in north Fla!! :cool:

I did a clone with NOS parts years ago ... in 20 more years guy's can get real "crafty" :eek: hell look at all the 427/425hp 66-67 Corvette's now :p