Just an Update

unboostedV6

Hey guys,
I've been pretty quiet for the past few months and thought I'd share my disasters and future plans. First of all...rocker breakage was a chronic problem last year. It's definitely a geometry problem. The cam's too big, valve stems are too short, rocker shaft is too big, and the valvesprings are too big in diameter. Rockers would break while the car idled on the trailer. The last straw was when a carb float let a needle stick open during a 7000 rpm burnout in August, allowing #1 cylinder to fill up with methanol, locking the engine instantly, spinning the rod bearing, and trashing the crank. On the positive side, the car ran a best of 12.76 @ 105mph, and was disgustingly consistent during the course of a day at the track. I won every round that the car completed the 1/4 mile under power.
To remedy all my problems, I've ordered a new TA aluminum block to house some stuff I've been collecting, including a 3.625" LA Billet crank, Oliver lightweight "I" beam rods, and a set of well ported Stage 2 heads with a Jesel valvetrain. Initially, I'll run a single carb on race gas with 13.5:1 compression. Later. I'll swap that out for my Kinsler constant flow injection setup with methanol. Should be pretty stout....

Greg,

Good to hear from you. What is the ETA on this project ? Next season ?

Originally posted by unboostedV6
To remedy all my problems, I've ordered a new TA aluminum block....

Damn, that's one hell of a remedy. :D What will the final displacement be?

I wish someone with an '82 GN 4.1 would put this effort into their car. It would cool to see a non-turbo '82 GN beat an '87 GN. :cool:

Re: Re: Just an Update

Originally posted by b4black
Damn, that's one hell of a remedy. :D What will the final displacement be?

I wish someone with an '82 GN 4.1 would put this effort into their car. It would cool to see a non-turbo '82 GN beat an '87 GN. :cool:

That would be cool.

Man sounds like you have had a rough year. Looks like
you have a plan to over come it this year.
Waiting to see the new track times for that beast.

Next May would be pretty optimistic...displacement with a 4.00" bore will be about 274 ci...the heads are good for at least 8500 rpm...Older Comp Eliminator engines used to make up to 670 hp at 9500rpm with dual carbs and the Busch engines made 500-550 hp at 8200. I'm shooting for 575, since mine won't have to last 300 miles between rebuilds. Because I don't yet have a roll cage, I think I'll start out with a 500cfm 2 barrell to keep it in the 12's. I expect the combination to run 10.80's with an 850 and gasoline. GB