Junkyard hi-po oil cooler!

madhat

I know the guys on this board love to DIY setups like the PS intercoolers (I will someday do one as well!), so here is a good one to keep those oil temps down!

I picked up a oil cooler off of an Rx-7 for $10 at my local salvage yard. It measures about 23x5x2 inches and will certianly be of big help once installed since I have a Al/Plastic F-body rad that doesnt have oil cooling ports. (not that that system is that great to begin with!) The Rx-7 guys have tried multiple aftermarket coolers and the stock ones are better than most. Because of the design of the rotary engine, they generate lots of heat(the exhaust on a non-turbo can easily reach 1600 degrees) and 30% of the cooling takes place through the oil - the rotors are only cooled by it and it is not recommended to even go more than 15 mins w/o a cooler! So, this cooler seems more than up to the task!
Look for a first gen(SA-22 or FB as they are called) or second gen(FC) Rx-7 as a donor. Third gens(like the one in the F&F) don't have the type of cooler you want, not to mention it is unlikely to find one in your self-pick yard. The 1st gens' coolers are bolted to the bottom of the radiator while the 2nd gens are under the angled radiator. Some 1st gens (83-85) have a "beehive"(rad. water cooled oil cooler) and will not have a cooler under the radiator, so keep moving!
When it comes time to pick one, they are held on by 4 10mm bolts and the rads are usually held by 4 12mm bolts. If you are jsut going to try to use the hoses with it, the hose nuts should be 23mm, but you may take a few sizes to be safe - a cresent wrench sometimes has a hard time getting up against the block and still ahve enough room to turn. Most of those cars are out there because of engine failure - usually due to no oil or overheating. But don't worry, overheating jsut warps the housings and the lack of oil jsut causes them to spit their apex seals out the exhaust! I would still suggest a flush and leak cheack as I would with any cooler though.
One thing to remember is that the threading in the cooler and hoses are metric, so your lcoal hose shop my not have the ends to rebuild the hoses for you. You can always get an adapter once you find out the right size though. Also, the 1st gen coolers have both exits on the back of the cooler while the FC(2nd gen) has one on top

SA-22 - guarenteed to have the cooler!

1st(FB) front - the taillights are different than above, some of these have the cooler, some dont, so look for this:

if this us up near the fire wall on drivers side under the oil filter, just walk away!

2nd gen - WILL have one

So, there you go, hope this helps someone!