July 2nd night race at Barona Drag Strip

Well, looks like I will be making it out to this AND racing! Pinch me, I must be dreaming! The stars and planets must be in alignment or something because I have not been able to take this pig to a track in over 5 years!

Donnie, you pitting way out in BFE like the night of the nitro races? I may try to get there early and pit near you. I will be driving it out there and would like to leave the daily tires, tool box, and mini compressor in the pit spot but would like to at least be near someone I know.

Anyone else heading out there?

(mental note, print out 1/4 to 1/8 mile conversion chart... never raced 1/8th!!!) :)

Well, looks like I will be making it out to this AND racing! Pinch me, I must be dreaming! The stars and planets must be in alignment or something because I have not been able to take this pig to a track in over 5 years!

Donnie, you pitting way out in BFE like the night of the nitro races? I may try to get there early and pit near you. I will be driving it out there and would like to leave the daily tires, tool box, and mini compressor in the pit spot but would like to at least be near someone I know.

Anyone else heading out there?

(mental note, print out 1/4 to 1/8 mile conversion chart... never raced 1/8th!!!) :)
Yeah, I plan on pitting in my little corner again. I'm going to try to get up there around 1pm to get the spot. Wayne is planning on pitting right next door in the same spot with his trailer and car. I think we can manage to fit a third car, though. We'll make the room. Hope to see you up there.

more video!

I enjoyed the one you posted from Utube.

:biggrin::D:biggrin:

I enjoyed the one you posted from Utube.

:biggrin::D:biggrin:
The last time I tried an in car video the camera would shut off at the launch. Too much vibration, I guess. I've been working on the mount to lower the vibration for the camera. We'll see if my efforts helped.

The last time I tried an in car video the camera would shut off at the launch. Too much vibration, I guess. I've been working on the mount to lower the vibration for the camera. We'll see if my efforts helped.

I can rig a helmet mount for ya! It worked for skydiving and there's just as much vibration and "G's" at times.

:smile:

I can rig a helmet mount for ya! It worked for skydiving and there's just as much vibration and "G's" at times.

:smile:

Eric, you should have come out. Was a great time! 3 GN's in one spot, that seems to be a large number here lately. :biggrin: Donnie, Ray B, and I, all pitted close together. Big thanks to Ray and Donnie on suggestions to improve my times, and Ray for jumping in and tuning the TT chip. Made a great improvement and each time out the car got faster. Car ran its best time ever, even if it was not very fast. Would probably have run better with an oil change, plug change, etc. I don't think I have done anything but drive this car in a long time. Plugs are probably years old... :eek:

Thanks Donnie for saving me a spot, and thanks again guys for the tuning help.

Eric, you should have come out. Was a great time! 3 GN's in one spot, that seems to be a large number here lately. :biggrin: Donnie, Ray B, and I, all pitted close together. Big thanks to Ray and Donnie on suggestions to improve my times, and Ray for jumping in and tuning the TT chip. Made a great improvement and each time out the car got faster. Car ran its best time ever, even if it was not very fast. Would probably have run better with an oil change, plug change, etc. I don't think I have done anything but drive this car in a long time. Plugs are probably years old... :eek:

Thanks Donnie for saving me a spot, and thanks again guys for the tuning help.
I'm sure Ray would agree, it was our pleasure. It was nice meeting you.

James,it was very nice meeting you and you family. We will have to meet up again some time too when time permits. Give me a yell when you are able to make it to the track again man, there is a lot left in your combo.

How did you guys do? Please post times and/or videos. Did you get to match up against anybody interesting?

The boost controller threw a fit on me again, so I switched in a heavier spring in the wastegate and went to manual boost control. I spent the night working the wastegate adjuster to find a good boost level, but this one run was pretty exciting.
An early 60s Falcon truck or Ranchero, I don't know what they call it, with one loud and mean sounding small block Ford in it lined up with me. We had a little staging dual going on, and as I was getting ready to stage he finally went in. I set the creep button and floored it. She staged all on her own and I waited for the tree to come down. The Ford left .295 sec early (red light) and I followed with .082 sec early. From the side of my eye I could see him leaving so I released. Yanked him hard and by the 60' we were about even. The result was;
1.526 60', 6.645 @ 106.106 for him and
1.313 60', 5.952 @ 117.177 for me. The boost level I used on that run was 20 psi.

Donnie,
What boost are you launching at?
Thanks,
Jeff
I launched with 5,950 rpm and 188 kPa MAP (13 psi) to get the 1.31 from the latest TT. I still don't have a best target rpm and map for the launch figured out yet. Especially with all the playing around with the chassis settings still. The best I can figure, the car has always done the best 60 foots when I launched the car between 145 (7 psi) and 190 kPa MAP (13 psi). More towards the 145 kPa (7 psi) end of it, actually. I think the best 60' the car ever did, 1.271, was with a launch using boost in the 140s kPa range. I'll have to look back at the datalog and check that more carefully. I'm going to play with different levels within the above mentioned range and see where I'm getting, consistently, the best 60 foots. Anything over 190 kPa seems to just promote more tire slippage at the initial hit. But, I am still slowly working with shock settings, so who knows what I'll end up with.

Sure enough. I just checked. The best 60', 1.271, with the car was launching with 148 kPa MAP (7 psi).