Jay Cater Propane Update.

1QuikV6

SSgt, US Marine Corps
Jay Carter Propane Update.

I've just returned from Jay's after making a couple of changes to the system. Keep in mind, I am a prototype vehicle and have the old system installed compared to the final system that is being sold.

Anyway, here it is. Pump gas(93), 22lbs of boost, 0 Knock. And after almost 7 months of running the system, I've used maybe 30 pounds of propane in the 150 lbs bottle. 120 lbs to go.

For those of you concidering this system, or sitting on the fence, I have but two things to say to you. BUY IT!! :D

Still got some tuning to do, and planning on putting in a larger jet. I'm running a .071 and switching to a .082 next.

I'll keep ya updated the best I can. You can see my combo in my sig.

Thanks for the update Rob. I've been watching this one carefully and will bite soon.

Keep us updated as often as possible :) . I am anxious for any and all info on the setup and tuning. At one time I read up a lot on the alky systems, but am glad I waited. I might as well do this before upgrading my stock turbo. I really have not read too much or found very much info on propane yet, with the exception of the big thread when the kit was introduced. Any links, tuning info, sytem use/setup is appreciated. Both my cars may want to inhale propane :D

What kind of presssure setting are you using with the 0.71 jet?
What boost pressure are you activiting the propane?
Seeing that you have the "older" system, you aren't pulsing the solenoid, right?
What happens if you get too much propane going to the motor?

Inquiring minds would like to know everything. I can see that this system has great potential.

Gary:)

You better get a convertor Rob before we go back to the track so you can see what the propane will really do, because when you beat me that will give me a reason to spend more money :D
So which tires would you like to use....with all the spare tires laying around my garage I could start a used tire store :D

Originally posted by Black Car
What kind of presssure setting are you using with the 0.71 jet?
What boost pressure are you activiting the propane?
Seeing that you have the "older" system, you aren't pulsing the solenoid, right?
What happens if you get too much propane going to the motor?

Inquiring minds would like to know everything. I can see that this system has great potential.

Gary:)

Rob's bottle was showing close to 140 PSI today when he was at the house. His system has no regulator inline as we were still sourcing the regulator when I put his system together.

His system comes on well before 10 PSI. I couldn't tell you exactly but If I had to guess, I would say 7-8 PSI.

His solenoid is not pulsed. He has a prototype solonoid that wont work with the electronics we are using anyway. It also has a smaller orifice than the production solenoid and as Rob can attest, his solenoid is about half the size of the production model. I'm going to photograph it beside a Pepsi can to put the size in perspective.

So far it has not been possible to get too much propane into an engine in a WOT blast. Kenny is using the largest jet NOS makes in his kit and the car loves it.

FWIW, we didnt use NOS jets in the production kit so we may be able to get a little more flow out of what we went with.

I learned a lot of DONTS in the development of this system using Rob's car as a test mule. This car was the original test car. The other testers benefited greatly from the things I learned with his car. Thanks, Rob.

Thanks for posting Jay.

And thank you for the opportunity to test the system. I'm very excited about the possibilities.

When are these systems going to be readily available? I figured they would be out by now.

1QuikV6 and JayC

Will there be a car at the Buick vs Ford race at Noble,OK.with the propane system so we can see it and watch it go down the track?
Thanks

Originally posted by Iceman
1QuikV6 and JayC

Will there be a car at the Buick vs Ford race at Noble,OK.with the propane system so we can see it and watch it go down the track?
Thanks
Due to a party at my house the 26th, 1QuikV6 will not be allowed to go to Noble :)

I imagine Kenny Brown will be there.

Does activating this at 7-8psi bog the motor at all,like the Alki systems do..

Originally posted by AsphaltAnihil8r
Does activating this at 7-8psi bog the motor at all,like the Alki systems do..

None that I've noticed. Seems my motor can't get enough. I'm running a .082 jet while Kenny Brown is running a .1? jet. He currently has the largest jet offered by NOS on his car. He also has a more toned down combo than I.

Maybe someday I'll just remove the jet completely and see what happens. ;)

Why would u go to a bigger jet if u have zero knock? More HP? I thought the propane injection was to get rid of knock.:confused:

I plan to turn the boost up ;)

more boost, more propane. Gunna see where the max is :D

Spoke with Dan last night. He is picking up the last of the parts today. We were missing one fitting so he had to track down an oddball piece we needed.

I expect preordered kits will go out this week. I also expect there will be photos up this week. Also, we have a distributor for this kit that's going to take about 1/3 of all of the kits we have for the inital run so anyone who wants one of these things and waits may be out of luck until Dan makes another run.

I'm going to touch base with Dan tomorrow and make sure he got the last of the needed parts. If something changes and kits aren't going out this week, I'll make a post here in this thread.

This sounds like something to pick up!!! 22psi on 93 octane YES! :D What kind of cost can we expect this to be and how easy will installation and tuning be. Will any existing parts have to be modified? thanks for the info JAY!

Scott

Originally posted by Scott4DMny
This sounds like something to pick up!!! 22psi on 93 octane YES! :D What kind of cost can we expect this to be and how easy will installation and tuning be. Will any existing parts have to be modified? thanks for the info JAY!

Scott

yes, some type of price would be much appreciated :D:D:D