jack merkel engines

jbturbov6

I was just checking to see how many bgn guys are running a jack merkel built engine and if anyone is having any problems?

do a search on here for some info. i personally have had 2 really really bad experieces with him but im sure others have had no probs.

Originally posted by 1985GN
do a search on here for some info. i personally have had 2 really really bad experieces with him but im sure others have had no probs.

To say the least Ryan. :cool: :cool:

I just had a 6109 motor done by RPE- Bobby and must say he s a first class guy and does meticulous first class workmanship.If my motor runs as good as it looks- look out!

Originally posted by 49-blues
I just had a 6109 motor done by RPE- Bobby and must say he s a first class guy and does meticulous first class workmanship.If my motor runs as good as it looks- look out!

He is known also for S2 builds. He builds Cottons motors, therefore I am sure your engine will kick ASS. :D

Jack Merkel is an engine builder that works with Rons Custom Auto in kenilworth ,NJ- he s had a couple of write ups in auto mags.

Originally posted by 49-blues
Jack Merkel is an engine builder that works with Rons Custom Auto in kenilworth ,NJ- he s had a couple of write ups in auto mags.

He is no longer there.

I've followed this thread with interest as I'm in the process of going through my engine. I'm not running his engine, but I reviewed the articles that were written. Some ideas sound good, but some ideas I would be a little leary of trying. I especially like the idea of using a rod bearing with more surface area, as this spreads the load on the bearing. I'm a little leary of the oiling system modifications and am more inclined to follow the advice of Nick Micale (using high pressure in lieu of high volume). I also like his choice in bearing material. Since he bored the engine 0.030 over, I like the ring choice. But I'm not boring my engine and just honing, so I'll stick with production type Hastings rings. I basically dry fire my engines and have not had problems with SBC or Buick, meaning oilings system is primed (and I verify oil is reaching the rocker arms), and assembly lube is applied to piston pins, but very little to no oil on the piston or the bore. Most will be a little leary of doing this, but it seats the rings almost immediately. I am also leary of using scotch-brite pads on the main and rod bearing surface. Bearings today are cranked out buy computer programs and are very precise. I don't feel my thumb or finger pressing against bearings with an abbrassive material does the bearing any justice. I would think you would create un-even dips in the bearing surface. I think if you're building your own engine, you'll read this article and glean the good stuff out of it and do what you feel will fit your needs. If he's building for you, you'll either tell him what you want or get what he will do to the engine. This in no way is a slam against Jack Merkel and just my obeservation (and who knows, I may be completely off base). But the man should be commended for providing a glimpse of his machining process in a magazine article.