jack cotton

Jack is "Gr8" to deal with and really doesn't mind setting as much time aside to assist a fellow TR owner. I had been talking to Jack over the phone for nearly 1 year (about any and everything) before I finally met him at Maryland International Raceway (MIR) for a Turbo Buick get together. Man this guy bent over backwards tuning my car's F.A.S.T system along with tuning many other's cars. After many made their passes he would tune, tune, tune and was sweating his @$$ off that day trying to get more performance out of the cars. I kinda felt guilty because he spent so much time on my car that day. Even went as far as assisting me with water box procedures and launching my car. After doing all that, I offered to pay him something for getting me setup and he totally refused my offer. He basically did it because he wanted to. Always fast shipments on all the parts I have bought from him as well. "Super Kool Guy :cool: "

Ash said:
I have never herd of him but from what i can tell from this thread he seems like the best person to deal with. Me being in Ca I dont think that i would be able to drive up to where he is. Dose he have a web sight or a catalog and dose he deliver?
Does he deliver? If theres anywhere he can meet you... I bought a GN interior(complete), a pair of GN bumpers from him, and paid by CC. Our only problem was trying to get the stuff from the East coast to Indianapolis, In. Trucking was something like $350.00 at the time. He mentioned going to Norwalk, Ohio, and that he would haul it over there(thats alot of loading/hauling). I was at the Buick drags w/a minivan :rolleyes: (didnt know if I was in heaven or hell). Got everything but the steering wheel(never did see it-but I have lots of "senior moments" too). That's pretty good service from someone you've never met b4 ;) !!

Sweet........... thanks again guys. What a great way to start the New Year. Getting a little boost in here is always a welcome sight. I always appreciate the kind words, yet in the back of my head, all I can think about are my short-comings. I've never been very good about giving myself credit for just doing what I believe to be the "right thing". Been a bit of a ride the last 3-4 months, but, once again I have survived it and feel as though I need to give back to the Buick community whatever I can. I have always felt like "just another buick enthusiast", nothing more. From the early days of GNTTYPE.org, I have always felt nothing but respect for the guys that helped me learn about these cars. Guys like Ken MOser, Scott "mean" Simpson, Jay Carter, Scott...... can't remember his last name, and so many other guys that started this internet networking. The information was so freely passed along, I don't remember anything less than respect for each other as we shared our experiences and these cars just kept getting faster. Here it is many years later and they are still getting faster than anyone could have ever imagined. Guys like Dave Bamford have raised the bar to a level with a stock block, that back then, seemed ABSOLUTELY impossible, Roy and Laz have also achieved what seemed impossible, the TSM class keeps getting faster everyday, with even more 9 second passes by guys like Steve Sullivan, Louie Lopez, Phil Mcgloin, Jason Cramer, just too mention a few. I'm sure there are many more I haven't listed, not to mention, many more that are just a "pass" away from achieving what we considered "impossible" just a few short years ago. Amazing what the internet has done for all of us in a positive way. 9 second, stock block Buick Turbo cars........ amazing!!!! One Buick nut I really want to mention here is Gene Fleury, I am in the middle of gutting my office, cleaning and updating everything. While sorting through all kinds of 'important" stuff that has gathered on the shelves the last 5 years I came across a brown envelope with some pictures in it. Low and behold I find some pictures of Gene's car from back in Oct. of 2001. He was the rave back then having run 9.90@136mph with a stock block, crank, rods, 208 cam, Champion alum. heads and a T70P ball bearing turbo........... I wanted to scan the picture and post it, but he wrote some nice stuff to me on the picture and I'm "embarrassed" to post it...... these are the guys that, to me, are the ones that deserve the accolades...... Have a Happy New Year

GO THERE NOW!!!! He is actually very good to deal with and work with. Top notch work from their group. You will be very happy with the work and the cost.

I don't know about you guy's, but I can feel the love!!!!!!!! NOW, if Jack will just give up those cigarettes for the new year, so he will last longer. Brian

lord have mercey!!!! I bet their are men that go thru there whole lives and not have as many people say such good things about them,or at least not at the same time!!!!!!!everything said on this board about jack is true I have yet to purchase some thing from him but I will soon.I met jack at 41 three years ago I talked with him about his car and he talked to me like he had known me all his life made me feel like a human being very helpful,i just had to throw my two cent's in jack you and bobby at rpe the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: p.s. I will get some gn;1s soon.

I started a thread some time ago about my first experience dealing with Jack and some may remember how I could'nt believe that after having a converter in my car for 6 months, he took it back and gave me full credit for it.

I had installed it at the start of winter so did'nt get to test it out much. Turns out it was too loose for my combo and Jack said ship it back, no problem.

I bought a Thunder-Fab intercooler instead and put the stock converter back in. Got me 3 tenths so I was tickled. :cool:

He told me on the phone after I was very willing to take a hit on the return that maybe he would'nt get rich doing what he does, but hopefully people would be happy with his service.

I'm one customer who will never forget that. When the credit card comes out next time, I'll be giving the # to Cottons' Performance, gladly. :biggrin:

Jack is a scumbag....only kidding!!!

He's the man!! Can't even begin to say how many long phone conversations Jack and I have had pounding out every painstaking detail of a buildup on my car over the past 3 years. He saved me tons of money with his guidance and the service doesn't end after he sells you a part, he's always there to help you with the install and tuning after the fact. Jack and Brian Cotton have made a great business from good service, free advice, and quality parts because they are quality people and a true asset to the TR community.

Jack knows good gourmet pizza too!!!!

John H.

jack has answered technical questions from me on several occasions .i have also purchased one of his t r front mounts,imo one of the smarter designs ive seen so far.

Jack has saved me many times from buying the latest "Hot Part of the Day"! Two years ago, I trailered my 84GN from North Carolina to Mass...12 hours each way...to get Jack to work out some bugs in my car. He put me and my 24 yr old son up for the week in his house. I dropped some serious change that week but my car ran great when I left! I would never have found the gremlins in my car! I continue to call him for advice and parts. He is a national treasure! Please do business with Jack and son Brian. You won't be sorry.
Conrad Carter

I have not met his lady friend but, if half of what Jack tells me right, she is fantastic! She must really love him to put up with his work habits (works all the time).

I cannot wait to see his new office! Sounds wonderful. Congrats!!

One more thing...most everyone thinks of Jack when looking for new parts but he also stocks and sells used parts as well.

Jack is the man. I have done business with him for 7+ years now. Excellent service. I have definitely eaten my share of pizza and drank my share of coffee at Cotton's. Anyone who lives near should take a ride there and meet the man in person. I will need a turbo so i will be visiting him soon.

:) have only the best to say about Jack.
I upgraded the front brakes on my TR. Baer had discontinued the 12" which would fit my TR with the TR wheels & Jack offered me the set off the Pumpkin at a giveaway price. We ended up my getting the latest from Baer at an excellant price, Jack also threw in the needed spacers for the TR wheels to clear the Baer, & Jack even carried them with him to Bowling Green so a local TR/GN owner could bring them to me from Bowling Green, saving me shipping costs.

Responding to the original question in this thread in the interest of full disclosure my experience was not as good. Brought my stock 87 gn out to him 4 1/2 yaers ago for major tune up and bolt on mods totaling $5,000. Car sat for weeks before anything done. Left a list of things I wanted done in the drivers seat and still had to fax it to his shop three times because it was lost or something. Had some suspension parts (rear seat brace kit...gnx bushings...hotchkiss lower trailing arms etc). in my trunk wich I bought elsewhere and explained I wanted installed, my parts were installed but still showed up on my bill as being bought from his shop. One hood shock installed one way, the other the opposite way. New valve cover breather got lost on the way home...must have rattled off or something during the 80 mile drive. Installed a 3" dual exhaust with dump pipe wich I clearly said I didn't want (the dump pipe part). The exhaust system is now being supported with uni-strut "L" brackets and 1/4-20 hardware becaust the original supports failed after a few weeks and dented where they landed on the rear end. Was not offered any of my original parts back including turbo, plenum, throttle body etc... This was at a time I didn't realize the value of the original parts. Yes, Jack is probably a very nice man but I kind of figured a little attention to detail would have came with the $5,000 price tag.------Dan B.

I am also kind of far away (FL) and have only talked with Jack on the phone. Absolutely a top notch guy! My parts have always been exactly as described and on-time. Jack has taken time out of his day to offer help when I have had questions about new parts or the right combination. I am currently saving for a FAST system from Jack because I know the support will be outstanding. :cool:

Wow Dan Biz.... Sorry I didn't fulfill your expectations. Obviously we must have done something right, but as I have said in the past, I'm not perfect. I, and my business have had our ups and downs as well as growing pains and am continually trying to improve. 4-5 years ago here, it was insane, way more work than we could handle, but we did our best. I noticed we spoke last summer when you lost a timing chain, looked as though and sounded as though we were appreciated....... by you, at least from the standpoint of giving advice. Anything we can do in the future, please call, I will do my best. If you feel there is unfinished business from 4-5 years ago, please feel free to call, I have piles of used take off parts, taking up space......... not much market for it.. jjust hate to throw it away.
Happy New Year,