It finally runs!

turbofabricator

Dennis Hogans '87 T-Type is back to breathing. After splitting #2 cylinder twice in a StageI 4.1 he decided to build his 4.1 StageII on center for his street strip car. Being it was a full S2 engine with an external oil pump, we had to do alot of work to get it ready for install. First was to install TA heads and Champion on center manifold. They required alot of port work to get them to align. I ported them to the 1200 Felpro gasket which required push rod tubes and sleeves in the head bolt holes to seal things up. Then came the timing cover which needed 1/8" machined from the stock 14 bolt timing cover. Then I fillled all the unused oil passages with epoxy . Installed the TA pump cover with -12 feed, -10 outlet, and -8 bypass hose to the fuel pump block off plate. The TA pump required a new intercooler bracket on the pass side. The Champion manifold required a new coil pack bracket to keep it away from the wiper arms. We stepped to the new Duetsch fuel pump and removed all the Saginaw fittings in the entire system. That resulted in a 106% increase in diameter on the return line and a 33% increase in the pressure side. We installed a BG fuel filter by the pwr steering resivior. The car got a new set of Strange adjustable rear shocks, too. It has a 67/65 Precision Turbo, 88 lb injectors, 3.5" MAF, stock ECM with a Eric Marshal chip, Precision stock location Intercoolers. With the same combo on the StageI it ran a 10.12@136 on pump gas and dual nozzle Razor kit.

Attachments

• IMG_20110611_181154.jpg
    IMG_20110611_181154.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 781
  • IMG_20110512_173217.jpg
    IMG_20110512_173217.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 781
  • IMG_20110512_172757.jpg
    IMG_20110512_172757.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 793
  • IMG_20110528_174558.jpg
    IMG_20110528_174558.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 806
That must a hellava lot of fun on the street! Nice work.:)

Nice Ken! You going to run it against one of the big Boeing's at work? :D

The pavement will be just fine, but the tires will die a violent death....

Bob

so you bypassed the stock fuel filter?

What BG filter did you use?

Bob

Bob, I'm not sure the part number of the fuel filter as it came off another project from years ago and BG is outta business.
I had to fabricate the coil bracket out of .125" aluminum. Pretty simple actually. I can make a few of them if folks need 'em. I'm sure Champion could make one too. Kinda surprised that they don't already. Just use a flat plate and drill the module mounting holes 1/2" forward of the factory one and use spacers and a longer stud where it attaches to the manifold. I used a couple old 8mm studs from the upper waterpump hole that we all replace with a bolt because there is no need for a stud there. Although I did need one I'm this engine for the new intercooler bracket.:)

Yep.....AC and cruise control too. Nice interior, nice stereo, just like Buick should have built it. 700+HP and creature comforts. What more can you ask for?:biggrin: I have some pics of the engine after the fire I'll try and post when I get a chance. Sure looks better today than it did when we started.

Very nice work.. that should make a lot of power on low boost and stay very reliable.

Congrats for pushing it through and getting it done..

As always, very nicely done!! You're always a great asset to all of us guys trying to figure these cars out.
Merle

First outing at the track, the car ran 10.30 @ 133+ on pump gas and alcohol. 24 psi boost. It was seeing 12* knock retard it points in the run, so the alcohol needs a click or two. Weather cancelled this Fridays test and tune. (hey it's Seattle, we only get three days a year without rain:mad:) Maybe next weekend in Mission B.C will get him a few tenths. We added HR Parts rear control arm reloaction brackets to help his 60ft. times, too. The 10.30 pass was a 1.59. We'll see if the brackets help that and get it in the 1.45 range. This was also in drag radials.