Issues connecting to ECU

Spooled231

Hey Guys,

I am just now getting a chance to install the XFI system that I got in Bowling Green and now I am running into some problems. The car did have an old "SpeedPro" dinosaur system on it and it tied into the factory system plus a couple wires that were stand alone within the system.

The SpeedPro had the following.
1. 12V to battery
2. direct ground to battery
3. Tach wire to factory wiring harness
4. Injector power wire direct to injector harness (factory connection disabled)
5. Wideband o2

The SpeedPro is totally removed and all factory wires were reconnected.

I have the following new system.
1. Casper box to convert from factory harness to XFI harness
2. Casper box grounded to chassis
3. MAP sensor connected
4. Wideband connected
5. XFI ECU and XFI harness connected to Casper box.

Standby power is on with ignition power off (Casper box)
Turn on ignition power and now have 12V and 5V (Casper box)
XFI power is on with ignition power on.

XFI ECU was manufactured 5/10/07 (new firmware)
Laptop has XFI software version 1.333
The XFI program shows to be in "Demo Mode"

I have the ignition power off. Connect the laptop (com port) to the DB9 connection going to the XFI. Turn on ignition power, bring up XFI program and click on "Communications", "Connect" and now have an error code.

"ECU not found" Troubleshooting guide says this error code is for a mismatch of old software/new firmware configuration.

This is the same laptop that used on the SpeedPro system so I know the com port is correct and have it verified.

OK......what do I need to check next?

John Martin
1986 Buick T-type
TSM class
9.81 @ 137
6.24 @ 111

Bring up C-COM...go to Communications-->Setup...click on "COM Port" tab and see what port is being used...make sure it's in sync with your PC...I had the same problem when I first tried connecting...found out the Com Port I needed to use for my PC to connect was COM5...this was via USB...if you're not sure then just try different Com Ports in C-COM...

Update!

The current update is that I am still having the same problem with connecting the laptop and ECU. "ECU not found"

One suggestion was checking the voltage to make sure that it was above 12 volts. I check the system and was showing 12.1 volts. I put the battery charger on the system for a day and now have 12.5 volts. Still the same problem.

Another suggestion was to take the old FAST WP and XFI programs off the laptop and only reload the XFI. I did and no changes.

I even added the XFI software to my work PC and downloaded the USB software that came with the XFI. I went through all COM ports and still have the same issue.

Can someone help a brutha out! :rolleyes:

John Martin

John,
You should be able to reach me tomorrow. Who did you buy the system from?

Update!

OK.... Here is the new update.

I took my XFI ECU and both laptops to a buddies house (TurboCody) and everything connected up through his car. SWEET!

OK this at least tells me that my laptops and ECU linking up with each other and that the USB to serial adapter is working. YAY! :cool:

I came back to the house and connected everything back up and now have "ECU not found" DOH :confused:

However, This does not rule out the serial cable from laptop to the XFI harness is pinned correctly as I didnt test it out and I had it with me. "Good move there Bill" :rolleyes: LOL! and now I need to swap the Casper to XFI harness and go from there.

Anyone have anymore ideas to look at?

John Martin

Im a XFI wiring guru!

Guys and Gals,

I borrowed the XFI to Casper box jumper harness from TurboCody and now I am connected to the XFI with my laptop, serial cable, Casper box that are installed on my car.

I found the red wire in my harness in C26 (CANL-0) whatever that is! The red wire should have been in C27 (PCTXD0). Basically the laptop was receiving data from the XFI but was transmitting on the the wrong pinout in the jumper harness.

Its time to load a program, get the car loaded on the trailer and head to Cincy this weekend. Lonnie Diers and I will get things sorted out with Caspers later this week on the harness.

John Martin

XFI Wiring Problem

Good job fixing the problem John. Great to have another guy out there that knows XFI wiring.

Good luck at Lonnies.

Ted

She RUNS!

She fires up and runs under her own power!

I would like to add some additional information of how we got this solved.

Two thumbs up for Cal for calling this morning and us running through our lists of troubleshooting we both have gone through. Cal sent me a program to use instead of the one I was converting over from my old FAST. We had to calibrate the TPS and MAP sensors (I didnt know bout this). After we got the programming saved into the XFI, we were not getting an RPM signal. Cal said to check the ign module, crank sensor connection. I found a pin within the ign module back out just a bit and Wa La! She runs!!!

Cal also mentioned to me that he has run into 2 other harnesses having similar problems like mine in the past few weeks.

Whoever says that Cal isnt a family guy would be wrong. Cal was at the mall with the kids and still managed to call a Buick brother up to help out.

Thanks
John Martin

She fires up and runs under her own power!

I would like to add some additional information of how we got this solved.

Two thumbs up for Cal for calling this morning and us running through our lists of troubleshooting we both have gone through. Cal sent me a program to use instead of the one I was converting over from my old FAST. We had to calibrate the TPS and MAP sensors (I didnt know bout this). After we got the programming saved into the XFI, we were not getting an RPM signal. Cal said to check the ign module, crank sensor connection. I found a pin within the ign module back out just a bit and Wa La! She runs!!!

Cal also mentioned to me that he has run into 2 other harnesses having similar problems like mine in the past few weeks.

Whoever says that Cal isnt a family guy would be wrong. Cal was at the mall with the kids and still managed to call a Buick brother up to help out.

Thanks
John Martin

Sounds like you owe Cal big time. :smile:

Glad I was able to help you sort it out, John. Keep in mind, I sent you a "start up" program. Wouldn't want you to go straight to the track with it :eek:

Sounds like you owe Cal big time. :smile:

Not if he would have bought it from me in the first place :wink: Just proves what others have said about buying a system from someone who can support it. By the time they pay me $150 for a start up program, they haven't saved much.

Not if he would have bought it from me in the first place :wink: Just proves what others have said about buying a system from someone who can support it. By the time they pay me $150 for a start up program, they haven't saved much.

Damn, $150.00 bucks for just a start up program? I have been helping guys for free.

I can see why you would be surprised. Since I never charged you anything even though you bought it from another vendor.

Damn, $150.00 bucks for just a start up program? I have been helping guys for free.

If you go to a guys house for a bad toilet and all it needs is a flapper,Do you charge for a service call? or tell him what to do and not charge him?:D

10...9...8...7... <----- The countdown until the other half of the "Michigan Mafia" shows up. :eek:

I can see why you would be surprised. Since I never charged you anything even though you bought it from another vendor.

Thanks for the favor, send me a bill for the last tune you did. ;) You have made quite a few attempts to throw Jack under the bus on this deal since he sold the box to me.

If you go to a guys house for a bad toilet and all it needs is a flapper,Do you charge for a service call? or tell him what to do and not charge him?:D

Good question. If it was just anybody, I would charge $85.00 dollar service call. Typically, I have travel time to the job/fuel involved. I don't feel comfortable charging for a simple repair like this because the 10 minutes involved in that type of repair IMHO doesn't justify more.

Thanks for the favor, send me a bill for the last tune you did. ;) You have made quite a few attempts to throw Jack under the bus on this deal since he sold the box to me.

Your welcome. There is nothing wrong with the last tune I put in your car. In fact, you told me you copied it screen by screen, cell by cell, to your new BS3. Of course you also told me you got a free BS3, didn't blame me for your blowup, wanted 10XFi's from Comp, etc.. So who knows what to beleive from you anymore?

I haven't mentioned any vendors names. Once you quit associating with me, Jack and I developed a pretty good buisness relationship