Is this where to install a boost sensor?

Jorgy

Newly boosted
I just bought this car a little over a week ago. I was taking my neighbor out for a ride and suddenly my boost gauge wasn't working. We got back and discovered that it had popped out of the location it was installed. My question is, is this where the boost sensor should be installed? The only thing holding it in is the friction between the rubber and the threads on the sensor. That is assuming there wasn't a nut holding it in on the back side.

Attachments

• Photo Jun 24, 8 11 17 AM.jpg
    Photo Jun 24, 8 11 17 AM.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 284
  • Photo Jun 10, 5 22 42.jpg
    Photo Jun 10, 5 22 42.jpg
    744.4 KB · Views: 264
As was said thats the air temp sensor, mines in the same spot as yours, in the neck of the air filter (rubber) no nut on the backside, it fits pretty tight in the rubber.
Push it back in and put the connector back on it.

As was said thats the air temp sensor, mines in the same spot as yours, in the neck of the air filter (rubber) no nut on the backside, it fits pretty tight in the rubber.
Push it back in and put the connector back on it.

Ok, shows you what I know. Now I still need to figure out why my boost gauge quit working.

Is your boost gauge on the dash showing like 6 to 8 psi all the time, could be that the line going from the map sensor with a rubber hose coming off it that the boost gauge vac line goes into that then runs into one of a couple hard shiny black vac block lines on top of the upper plenum has a crack in it somewhere or the vac line isnt shoved into the rubber hose coming off the map sensor to have a good seal causing rhe leak rendering the boost gauge in-op.It is the 1st sensor closest to the radiator overflow on the passenger fender, it'll have a rubber hose coming off it. Mine occasionally comes loose by the sensor and i have to shove the tubing back into the rubber hose, that's how i know.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Are you talking about the factory LED strip boost gauge or an aftermarket one?

It's my Autometer gauge that I noticed is not working. I never thought to look at the stock display.

Don't bother looking at the factory "gauge" as it is not accurate. Follow the line back from the gauge and see where it is connected in the engine compartment. It has probably become disconnected-or the line has a break in it.

That's the egr line. Is the line hooked up to the egr and the other end to the egr solenoid.

If the chip currently in the car wasn't programmed for the EGR to be used, it may not make a difference on how the car runs if that line going to the EGR was like that or not since the chip is telling the ECM to ignore signal from the EGR solenoid. It won't have any bearing on the boost gauge functioning, on the passenger side of the engine you'll see a few hard black shiny vac tubes running from the vac block on top of the upper intake. If you trace the line coming from the MAP sensor on the inner passenger fender that has a skinny long rubber hose coming off it with a vac line shoved into it, that line from the sensor will meet up to a rubber 1/8th inch thick to a bit larger adapter that slides onto the black shiny vac line that the boost gauge operates through from what it sees off the MAP sensor. If that line isn't connected or has something causing it to have a vac leak, then the boost gauge isn't gonna function.

He's is not talking about the factory Fisher Price boost gauge. He has an aftermarket boost gauge that isn't working.

i understand that, unless someone re-engineered the vac line system connected to the vac block on his car. The area i am saying to check is where the vac pressure for boost readings is read off of.

Yes for the factory gauge. You can tee in to ANY of the vacuum block lines for a boost gauge. He needs to follow the line from the back of the gauge and see where it is connected to.

Yeah it's true that someone could of put a tee in any of those, in the event that whoever put the after market gauge in had simply ran a tee off into what the factory gauge worked off of would of been the easiest place for this person to look. One day that i decide to go to an aftermarket boost gauge, i'd just tee off of what vac line from factory was for the boost gauge and not have to deal with where the vac source was coming from if it stopped working. It can suck trying to trace stuff previous people had did prior to owning the car.
Would of been helpful if the OP had said where the after market gauge was located at.
Hope this guy can trace where ever the heck his after market boost gauge got plumbed into and get any other issues resolved.

Last edited:
Pillar gauge?? Have seen many plastic lines come off, crack in that application.