is this a good combo

broketurbo6

Heres what im looking to do, i have ralized that running 10's is a lil to much for a daily driven "stock block" so im going to "settle" for 11's. Im realitivly new to whole turbo thing and i think i may have a combo that will work but seeing as how i feel planning a project is the best way to go i have my parts list done and was wondering if this combo will do the trick:

stock block bored .30,postons forged piston rebuild kit, balanced
GN1 head and intake;roller rockers
70mm TB,poston "race" plenum,
either a 93 chip or the "ultrachip"
40 psi injectors
4inch MAF sensor
Translator plus w/high mass air chip
adj. fuel reg.
hi-po pump
fuel tank drain kit (or maybe an alky kit as that would be easier)
te-61 turbo
turbo controller
bigger intercooler
3" down pipe
underdrive pulley set
scanmaster2
3' exhaust
built 700-r4, 3.73 posi.

any sugesstions would be greatly appreciated...what else to use what not to use etc.
also how dificult will it be to learn how to tune this car, it will be done by a pro shop at fist (victory trans owner Rich Braccia will more than likely do the work) but how hard for someone that knows how to work on cars but isnt ASE. i can turn a wrench and i can read so i imagine that once the initial set up is done it shouldnt be to dificult and ill always have the fine folks of this msg. board.

I would try some 50 or 55 lb injectors.
That should do nicely for your combo.
Those heads are gonna' breath some air and you don't want to get caught short.

Forgot to ask,what kind of pump you got[hipo?].

Is this for a TTA? Why a 700r4? I don't know about the 3.73s, they may work with the heads and but I don't know if the stock block will like the rpms but I guess you can make it like it:) You will want a converter, preferably a lock up with those gears.

How deep into the 11s are you wanting to go? Are you going to be on pump or race gas? Some of that stuff isn't needed unless you just want it( ie. underdrive pulleys, 4in MAF, fuel tank drain kit, controller (depends on chip). Other have done it with alot less. I would add some suspension mods to the list and some tires.

i do plan a hotchkis complete susp. package. i do want to be solidly in the 11's. the reason i say the 700-r and 3.73's is the gear isnt to high but the trans has a low first gear or i may go with a 400 but dont know what gear to use to get good streetability but also good offline acc. And id like to run on 93 and use the alky kit(screw draining the tank...it's a huge cell)

TTA is Turbo Trans Am. If i was you i would step up to a bigger injector like a 50 or 55 pound.

I would recommend using the 200r4 over the 700r4. The first gear in the 700r4 is too deep, especially with 3.73s. The car will be severely traction limited in first gear, and the gear split between first and second gear is too great for good quarter mile performance.

I agree with the suggestion to use 55lbs injectors, but you will need to have your ECM (computer) modified to drive the larger injectors.

You may also consider a smaller turbo. A TE-44 will take you into the 11s and will require much less converter than the 61. Using a converter with less stall will improve streetability.

Stick with the 200r4.. Get some 50's or 55's. I like the idea of the 61. ;) Great turbo. 3000 stall would work fine.. You will need some suspension mods. You can have all the power in the world, but if you cant put it to the ground it all goes up in smoke.. ATR swaybar, Box uppers, HRparts sells some great lowers.. Lose your front swaybar and under drive pullys.. Sounds like your getting it maped out..

Gool luck,
Matt:cool:

so keep the 200-r get a 3000 stall? and im sticking with the 61 if for nothoing but the visual effect of the heat sheild off of a big turbo under a fibegalss hood, im thinking of going with a FAST but i do know that it will take some time to get to know the system, but i also know that it's worth it. Any otrher suggetsions on my car guys. oh yah one more thing im going to get a girdle for sure.

yup stay with the 2004r tranny and the stock 3.42 gears
with the savings there get Bruces (we4 on here) valve body kit and 9/11 2800-3000 stall

GN1's should make it pretty easy to run 11's.

did I miss mention of cam??
bet you'd luv the onne I got for drivability and all around performance

girdle is over kill for 11's ...I wouldnt recomend it till in the 10's and looking to go faster.
they are not bad to install but are a pain to keep from leaking

I can run well into the 11's on pump gas with no alky with ported stock heads so you might want to try it out before buying the alky.

Jay Jackson can do your stock t/b up and stock plenum without the expence of the race stuff thats not needed

no need for underdrive pullys and I'd recomend against it...thats a mustang mod...LOL

Jason Cramer the one who makes the girdle has nice lightweight crank pullys to do away with the heavy hub setup and are not under drive.
our motors dont turn but so much rpm and theres no need to slow the accesories down.

a walbro 340 pump (wired) will handle these mods.

atleast go with 55# injectors and get Bob Bailey to mod the ecm with the correct drivers

you will find that that combo will be awhole lot faster than you think it will be and when you want you could switch fuel and chips and run in the 10's.

most the stuff mentioned can be viewed on sites that have links in my sig.

thats what i wanted to do...switch gas and chip and run in the 10's but every says that not a good idea for a stock block so i dont know

No need for a F.A.S.T. System, unless you have abunch of money to burn..;) Go with an LT1 mass air, and a T-plus, or ME if you do anything.. I would stick with the regular ECU and chip for now if I was you.. Start small and work your way up.. Learn to tune from a Scanmaster, Turbolink, Or DirectScann before you decide on a felpro.. Yes, they are nice, But not really needed unless your looking for that last bit of HP... I would say wait on the Girdle until your motor goes (BOOM!) Then start with a fresh set of stock pistons, or TRW's, differant cam, so on and so forth.. The stock short block can take more than you think..:D :D I always had my best luck with head gasgets staying on with an un opened higher mile stock block..

Anymore Questions just ask.... ;)

i already plan to redo the whole motor...like i said with the kit from postons...cam,pistons,and all i may use the stock crank and rods if they are in good shape...but i want an all fresh motor no worrys

Originally posted by broketurbo6
i already plan to redo the whole motor...like i said with the kit from postons...cam,pistons,and all i may use the stock crank and rods if they are in good shape...but i want an all fresh motor no worrys

Is anything wrong with your stock engine? If not don't waste your time/money rebuilding (till it needs it)- lots of guys run 11's with the stock engine.

I'd step back for a while and look over the big picture - Spend some time reseaching your car. Things like 3.73's and a 700r4 aren't gonna help you much - most likely they'll slow you down.

Originally posted by Nocooler
Is anything wrong with your stock engine? If not don't waste your time/money rebuilding (till it needs it)- lots of guys run 11's with the stock engine.

I'd step back for a while and look over the big picture - Spend some time reseaching your car. Things like 3.73's and a 700r4 aren't gonna help you much - most likely they'll slow you down.

LOL!! I like your Sig...:D :D You have the whole list for the Ford Probe, Then you put.."I hate this Car" Atleast you honest...:D :D

my motor will need to be rebuilt some day...and i figure take advantage of the opportunity i am given by being in the navy. now i could go out and spend 30,000 on a new car but would rather spend 20,000 on my buick and have it basically all brand new and still have money to get a 64' cadillac. so this isnt really that much money in comparison. i want to go fast look good and be reliable and am kinda going a lil overkill i know but thats ok...sure i could run 11's with a lil less but some of these things will give me piece of mind and others will just look plain bad ass and be real good conversation pieces for the people who's asses get handed to em.

Do you know if there sending you over to the the Middle East anytime soon?? My Little cousin is in the Navy and just got shipped out last week.. Still I would recommend to save your money for something else.. Like a down payment on a house.;) No need to fix something thats not broke..

like i said it's all amatter of reliability cuz i have no clue of the miles on the motor (says 45 but maybe 145 thousand that is) im more into cars and if i pay 5 years on aloan for that ill be able to either re-enlist (bonus) or go straight to work (aviation electronic) so buying a hoime will be easier with credit allready established from the car loan. i want help on the BEST street combo, not to be talked out of it. and i hope i dont get sent over but if i do oh well just as long as i can help our country. so i have thought about this and it's not like im just going to do this **** blindly. for only 19 ive gone through alot of **** that not many people have so ive learned to think **** out instaed of charging in like a mad bull

like i said it's all amatter of reliability cuz i have no clue of the miles on the motor (says 45 but maybe 145 thousand that is) im more into cars and if i pay 5 years on aloan for that ill be able to either re-enlist (bonus) or go straight to work (aviation electronic) so buying a hoime will be easier with credit allready established from the car loan. i want help on the BEST street combo, not to be talked out of it. and i hope i dont get sent over but if i do oh well just as long as i can help our country. so i have thought about this and it's not like im just going to do this **** blindly. for only 19 ive gone through alot of **** that not many people have so ive learned to think **** out instaed of charging in like a mad bull. im not saying 30,000 as an exact figure just using it as an example as compared to selling the buick and buying a new car