Is This A Bad Shifter Cable?

thepremier

I have been having problems with my car shifting into park for about the last month now... Everything else seemed to be perfectly fine with all of the other gears, but when I would go to park my car, I would have to repeatedly try to put the car in park as it would not always shift into park on the first try (while in park the car would start rolling backwards and making a clicking sound until I would stop the car, and take it out of park and then put it in park again).

Also the there were times when I couldn't get the ignition to lock even when the car indicates that it is in park. I would have to play with it just to try and get the ignition to lock and remove the key.

Yesterday I jacked up the car, and removed the shifter cable, and it appears to me that it is damaged as you can see in the picture. I'm not an expert on if this could be the cause of the problem, so I wanted to post here on the forum to get the feedback of you fellas who are more knowledgable of what the problem could be.

Than You
12-D39990A6-2091538-960.jpg

yeah that cable is junk and the reason it is not going into park, you can stil drive car while waiting for a replacement you just need to shift using the steering column collar. When you do go to get a new cable make sure it is at least 29 inces long and for a 4 speed o/d trans. hth
Greg

Yes! That looks like the one I took off my car after it started backing down the driveway after I got out. :confused:

I believe nos4gn carries the correct ones. You can go to the part stores but i believe when a buddy had this issue last year there was an issue with the length of the ones the stores were carrying.

Yup, most of the aftermarket ones are junk!! Here is a real GM one and lots cheaper than Highway Stars. $100 shipped to ya.

Attachments

• 2647.JPG
    2647.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
  • 2648.JPG
    2648.JPG
    956.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 2649.JPG
    2649.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
went through 5 aftermarket ones in as many weeks! there is a slight design difference that is a major flaw;
get the OEM from
nos4gn
& don't look back!
D:)

And on another note you may also have to readjust your linkage going from the steering column to your tranny as well. Not a big deal but just figured I would mention it in case you ran into a problem