Is there a way to make your fan run longer

Little6pack

Is there a way to make the fan run longer in the TB's
or is there a way to have it run after you shut the motor off?

I am going drag racing in a few weekends. I want to be able to cool down in the pits quicker with fan running when I shut the ignition off.

any known tricks to doing this?

Yes there is a high temp sensor on top of the intake under the throttle linkage,I am pretty sure the wire is green.If you run a switch to it it will run the fan on high when grounded. As for running it after the car shuts off you can get a 'fan delay relay' from "Red Regal T" on this board if he is still selling them.Your stock one is probably no good as they are not sealed from the factory and after the get wet a few good times they rust and corrode all of the guts and stop working. It is set up from the factory to run the fan for 8 minutes or so after shutdown. It is located on the driver side near the fuel relays,it is the longer rectangular black box.

Yes there is a high temp sensor on top of the intake under the throttle linkage,I am pretty sure the wire is green.If you run a switch to it it will run the fan on high when grounded. As for running it after the car shuts off you can get a 'fan delay relay' from "Red Regal T" on this board if he is still selling them.Your stock one is probably no good as they are not sealed from the factory and after the get wet a few good times they rust and corrode all of the guts and stop working. It is set up from the factory to run the fan for 8 minutes or so after shutdown. It is located on the driver side near the fuel relays,it is the longer rectangular black box.

Generally you can use that fan switch trick to run it after the car is off too. You just have to be careful to not turn the ignition all the way off. Have your fan switch turned on, turn the key off to stop the engine, then flick it right back on, and the fan will keep running while the car is off. It can be tricky though. If you don't do it just right, you hear the fan bump, but not come back on. And you can't get power to that fan wire again unless you start the engine again.

If I may ask does running your fan after shut down really accomplish anything if the coolant is only sitting still? I mean I would think at best you would also want the coolant circulating thru the block while the fan was spinning? (i.e. electric water pump)

Just wondering.

If I may ask does running your fan after shut down really accomplish anything if the coolant is only sitting still? I mean I would think at best you would also want the coolant circulating thru the block while the fan was spinning? (i.e. electric water pump)

Just wondering.
yes, it does help it to cool down faster.
with the engine off, run the fan to cool the coolant in the radiator down to ambient temp, and then start the motor and watch your temp gauge. the gauge will come crashing down- as soon as it stops going down, shut the motor off and turn the fan on again. after a few cycles, your engine will be cool again. and the fan will also circulate cool air thru the engine bay, which will cool everything else off, as well.

So why not run an electric water pump in conjunction with the electic fan? That way while the fan is moving air, the coolant is moving thru the block....instead of just cooling what's in the radiator and not cooling all of the fluid, to include what's in the block?

Pump

Have a elec. water pump and it's hooked up to the same switch for the fan. Back to the pits and you Turn the switch on and both the fan and pump turn on and circulate. Works pretty good the gentleman that bracket raced the car put that set up on. Cools it off fast!

hook up a switch from ground to the green wire going to your delay relay and your fan will run for about 10 min after the car is off eaven with the ignition in the off position it works great for the track.

Have a elec. water pump and it's hooked up to the same switch for the fan. Back to the pits and you Turn the switch on and both the fan and pump turn on and circulate. Works pretty good the gentleman that bracket raced the car put that set up on. Cools it off fast!

post some pics of this set up... i heard you have to run a smaller crank pulley for the belt to clear
-dan

Caspers also sells a Hi-Low fan switch that does a few things with the fan. Like a 10 min run after the key is off or Hi Speed at the flick of the switch. Take a look on their site for it. Great vendor for us! casperselectronics.com