Is there a big difference between 2.5 and 3" exhaust

savagebreed

I'm looking to get a full exhaust system. I wanted to know if there is a big difference between 2.5 and 3" Would I gain more power from a 3" what company have you guys used for exhaust?

I have a dual 3" stainless steel system I bought from "GN1 Performance" and couldn't be happier with it...The fit is good and those dual tailpipes look nice viewed from the rear of the car!

Claude. :smile:

About 1/2 inch............:biggrin: Sorry I couldn't help it.

Is that what you tell your wife Ronnie.:eek: :biggrin: :tongue:

That was just TOO easy Ronnie. LMAO!

Damn he beat me to it.

You beat yours? You must not be married then.:biggrin: :tongue:

Not my kind of thing but to each their own Dan.:biggrin: :eek: :tongue:

You set yourselves up guys and after a double shift I just had to zap you.:biggrin:

I'm looking to get a full exhaust system. I wanted to know if there is a big difference between 2.5 and 3" Would I gain more power from a 3" what company have you guys used for exhaust?

Unless you're making some big HP, about the only gains you would see from a 3" system would be weight and noise. Well designed 2.5" systems have run well into the 9s.

The tone is deeper and nicer on a 3" system vs. a 2.5" system, a little less drone or at least the tone of the drone is better. ;)

If sound is an issue. :smile:

Do a search there was a board member selling a full 2.5 ATR exhaust stainless system with pitbull mufflers awhile back

Unless you're making some big HP, about the only gains you would see from a 3" system would be weight and noise. Well designed 2.5" systems have run well into the 9s.

A single 2.5" system?

The poster didn't specify if he was comparing a 3" single or dual to a 2.5" single or dual. I'm assuming you mean a dual 2.5" made it into the nines. I would be amazed if a single 2.5 was adequate for that kind of power.

Is that what you tell your wife Ronnie.:eek: :biggrin: :tongue:

That was just TOO easy Ronnie. LMAO!

You beat yours? You must not be married then.:biggrin: :tongue:

Not my kind of thing but to each their own Dan :tongue:

You set yourselves up guys and after a double shift I just had to zap you.:biggrin:

1/2" can make all the difference in the world.:D

I replaced my perfectly good Hooker system with one of the dual 3" systems we sell (just because I can :smile: ) The dual 3" system actually weighed LESS than the Hooker system it replaced. Deeper tone to it and purtier too.

Fit can be a pain to get perfect but end results were worth it. I have 6 hangers total holding it up and NOT using the stock cat hanger. Two hangers right at the end of mufflers, two using the stock hangers over the rear and two for the tailpipes. Used all step band clamps as well. Main clearance problems I had were the tailpipes where they sweep up over the rear. If your car is at stock height you won't have any problems but mine is lowered quite a bit AND has a Ford 9" rear so the axle tube is a bit bigger in diameter.

Years and years ago on the gnttype list Ken Mosher did a few back to back passes through the ATR 2.5" dual system, and then uncapping it at the cat flange, when he was running 11.8's or so, and it made less than 0.05 sec difference. I think a few other guys over the years have posted results with cars in the 11's and my recollection is that in the 11's a good dual 2.5" system with good flowing mufflers like Ultraflows is enough. Faster than that and the 3" dual system will be worth more and more, but it will always be louder :).