Is the sun starting to set on the Turbo V6

yeeeeeeeeeeeeah!!!!!!!!!

thats what my gnx clones all about . beat you on the street beat you at the strip beat you at the shows .. beat u beat u beat u got any money ? :biggrin:

Back to the orignal post.

I would say YES, Like everything TBv6 had its 15 mins of fame for many many years.

What you cannot take away from the Buick is the V6 which has a mystique about it.
While true as the buicks are falling into the OLD school category I see that you could spend a small $$ fortune on them. Same holds true for some of the early 70's late 60's cars.

As the ORIGNAL poster mentions. The new technology that is forthcoming is pretty cool (PRICEY) but cool..

Look at the New VETTES, CHALLENGERS, STANGS, CAMAROS.....
You really get some nice handling & performace with mods.

Thanks Little6pack on trying to throw it back on track.

I love my TR and there's no way I'd give it up. The G-body has always grabbed my attention and the GN looks are just plain menancing. These cars are truly legandary.

However there are some pretty impressive things going on with today's cars and the kills aren't getting easier. Running 10's in the quarter isn't as hard as it use to be for these cars and faster for the truly built ones.

You an buy 2 nice 11 sec Buicks for the price of 1 new Shelby.A low 11 sec car is still fast in todays standards.The bar has been raised though.I just like to be different:eek:

Kevin

You an buy 2 nice 11 sec Buicks for the price of 1 new Shelby.A low 11 sec car is still fast in todays standards.The bar has been raised though.I just like to be different:eek:

Kevin

But look at the prices of the OLD shelby's.. I bet the new shelby's over time will keep pace..

I agree for the money you could buy 2 buicks or 2 of anything.

Id say yes too. Sure they are cool, and fast for what they are. But if you truely want to lay a number down, and do it more than once. There are easier ways. Before everyone tells me about how fast TR's are and they do it all the time, relax, I know theres a few. But the question was are they in their twilight? Its an amazing car they reached cult like status, something Buick never dreamed of. Im sure no one thought there following would last as long as it has.

But look at the prices of the OLD shelby's.. I bet the new shelby's over time will keep pace..

I agree for the money you could buy 2 buicks or 2 of anything.

I don't think the car craze will ever be the same or get as high as a few years ago.:rolleyes:The Barrett Jackson craze will wear off and cars will hopefully just be a passion.:wink:I hate going to cruise night and the first question is whats it worth:mad:I think our cars will play second string to these new cars at least to the general public:cool:

Kevin

I think that if the aftermarket comes forward with g bodies like they have with other cars and start manufacturing things like quarter panels and parts not currently available then the cars have a bright future as long as there are people that love them..We will be like the guy that has a 60s camaro with a 454 ls7 with L88 heads..Or a boss 429 mustang they are rare and they are cool and they run you can find parts if you need them but they wont be cheap...
The problem with the newer generation not being into hotrods and v8 powered vehicles and not carin about if thier cars do anything more than transport them from a to b or how they look is a completely different issue all together its a hotrodding car guy issue not just a turbo regal issue.. Just like kids play video games instead of going outside and playing or learning how to ride a bike etc..

.Back to the cars,the frames are interchangeable with other g bodies, the only thing we are really missisng is a budget minded aftermarket iron block...As far as losing out on horsepower i doubt we have anything to worry about,there will always be regular people and car people,there will be a horsepower ceiling on what manufacturers can unleash on the masses..Yea faster cars are out but most people cant drive..The fastest of what is available are just now catching up to what a slightly modded gn has been capable of for the last 20 years...The really fast factory stuff is only available to those with big wallets,and half of those guys just wanna roll around and look cool..and they still mostly cant drive...The other guys may have had hotrods but just are older and dont wanna maintain their old hot rod anymore...The guy you lined up with in the big block chevelle before may now be sporting a slightly modded new camaro ...Gn have reputations that preceed them...

I don't think the car craze will ever be the same or get as high as a few years ago.:rolleyes:The Barrett Jackson craze will wear off and cars will hopefully just be a passion.:wink:I hate going to cruise night and the first question is whats it worth:mad:I think our cars will play second string to these new cars at least to the general public:cool:

Kevin

Your right.

I have lived in 5 decades.
When detroit was pumping out the iron in the 60's it was because they took the QUE from the cobbled hot rodder kids of the 50's. They packaged the GTO, Chevelle, Nova's, Stangs, many more I am ommitting. They aimed it at the young generation 30 & under.. It started to wane by early 70's.. the excitment was lost except for maybe the TA's & Vettes by mid to late 70's.

That time period I call the ZOMBIE AGE from 75 to 85. GM can thank BUICK for that last spark of fun from a rear wheel drive.

BOY I COULD USE DENNIS K's help with this.

then by the 90s the old muscle cars made that crazy resurgence and like GIRLS GONE WILD so did the prices climb & climb & climb. I would say the peak was 2007/8 and the bubble has burst a bit.

I am looking at some pretty fun stuff for under 5k. That use to be BEATER terratory.

6's may be the thing of the future and V8 of the past..you know Ford is introducing a new turbo V6 full sized truck...gets great gas mileage and can pull out a stump when you need the power!

..you know Ford is introducing a new turbo V6 full sized truck...gets great gas mileage and can pull out a stump when you need the power!

Not so new really, just a marriage of the F150, and the (now 2 year old) TT 3.5 V6!!!
The rest of the pickup world is going to be playing catch up again. A 150/1500 size pickup with a tow rating of 11,300# :eek:

There are some good points being made about gas prices going up and demands for V8s are going to suffer for sure. Ford seems to be one of the few that have put a turbo V6 in production, but is it as capable as our beloved V6s? CAFÉ ratings are also going to put a hurting on performance vehicles as well, so maybe it’s not quite as bad as I’m making it out. Technology isn’t on our side, the 20 some year old design has served us well, but for how much longer.

Great topic.:biggrin:I think the guys that own these cars today(myself included)can make a diff in the future.:cool:If we support our vendors Kirbans,F/T,RJC and the others on the home page,new technology will trickle down.Look at the TT chip and the scanmaster.:)We really need a good cast block at a reasonable price.:wink:The cyl heads we have today can go toe to toe with these new cars.Look at how many 9 sec real street cars we have on this board now.I have never been one to just buy a fast car and leave it alone:eek:.These new cars are very expensive to mod.Watched a few LS1 cars on the dyno,cam,headers,intake,lap top and 35 to 40 hp increase:eek:.They are very well tuned from the factory.Besides competition is always good,it keeps us on our toe's:rolleyes:

Kevin

Block prices are quite different. Take for instance a LSX block, it looks like I can buy one for $2k, buying a TA block is $4k. There is a big difference in the supply and demand between the two.

I'm not too sure about the cylinder heads. Looks like there's about 100 CFM difference between an unported GN1/TA aluminum head and a LS3 unported aluminum head.

I know this is an old post but by now everyone nows the new Mustang is badass. I am a huge GM fan, but ford's new line up is empressive, eco-boost and design. Its more time than ever for GM to bring back a Turbo V-6. And I'm a little hesitant to bring back the GN cause they would probaly ruin it. It hurts my feelings that with the goverment bail out. That GM hasnt stepped up their game.

I haven't read all the replies but I will. I am just so adament that the idea and technology was groundbreaking. Look at the cars that are marketed today. At it's grass roots, turbos and superchargers are going to continue to be one of the many ways of the future to acquire horsepower and fuel economy to allow the manufacturers an offering in the product line that a 4bbl and big block did back in the 60's. To acutely computerize turbo control just makes me smile big time. I used to think: turbo a 6 to make it perform like an 8. Today, turbo a 4. Fuel mileage is everything, turbos and superchargers allow the manufacturers to defeat the CAFE numbers. I suspect we are part of a community pioneering the new generation of cars. I think the best is yet to come.

You can also now buy a 10-12 yr old C5 Z06 for less that $20K that still runs mid to low 12's at 115+ mph stock and get 25+ mpg, and handles great. I know, I've had mine for 11 years this month. I think they both will continue to have cult followings in the future.