Is the sun starting to set on the Turbo V6

esinger

Stroker Hot Air
I know this sounds like heresy, but it seems to me that today’s V8s are getting incredibly powerful in just their naturally aspired form. Let alone slap a turbo(s) or supercharger on them. I’m reading posts and talking to people it seems like we’re getting ready to have our butts handed to us and it’s going to cost us crazy money to keep up with them.

I’ll never convert my GN to a V8 (I know famous last words), but I can start to see the temptation to do so.

I think the lure and mistique of the TR is that we are about as fast as new technology.....using old technology and two less cylinders. Also the fact that nothing really sounds like a TR.

Mid to upper 20's in MPG, all around still an impressive package. There will always be doubt from a new era driver when there is a TR next to him/her at the tree/light. They will always be a little uncomfortable and that is why I love these cars. It's very presence makes people question the next 1400 feet.

I agree with the two above posts...

It will always be different and have it's on appeal... After all, it's just a six:biggrin:

I think it's a timeless body style that is long gone from production also doing it with a V8 is easy getting it done with a V6 is more fun and the torque these V6's put out for what they are is crazy only car i know you can mod and the torque numbers go up more the the HP and still can hang with most new cars just ask Coach he's showing them all the time. The Buick V6 turbo is like that mistic unicorn you rarely see one but when you do you can only stop and stare ;)

In my opinion, the V8 is in it's twilight.

This is not something I desire, as I love V8's, but the writing is certainly on the wall.

I was reading a Motortrend, or Car and Driver article about a year ago on the future of the Mustang GT, and in their research, whether you like it or not, younger people are not at all impressed with a V8 (please, I am sure some are, we are talking about the majority), and do not want anything to do with a car with a V8.

The general public is not completely there, but depending on what you think the future price of a gallon of gas is going to be, makes a big difference.

In my area, gas is about 3.20-3.30/a gallon, and the cutoff last time seemed to be once it got close to 4.00/gallon. At that time you could not GIVE away full size trucks, especially with v8's. If you own one, and are making payments, you become upside down quicker than you would have thought possible.

Used priuses were selling for more than they cost new, etc. etc.

You do the math, nobody knows for sure, but with the devaluation of the dollar, combined with supply/demand, i am a little worried about where they might go, put it this way, my last new car was a 4cyl, that gets 35-40mpg, i would love a big truck or suv, but there is no way i will take the chance.

Cmon... A ford flex, a (newer) honda civic, and a suzuki sx4 can outrun a TR, its just a matter of when. Ive been thinking about this latley as well.

In my area, gas is about 3.20-3.30/a gallon, and the cutoff last time seemed to be once it got close to 4.00/gallon. At that time you could not GIVE away full size trucks, especially with v8's. If you own one, and are making payments, you become upside down quicker than you would have thought possible.

Used priuses were selling for more than they cost new, etc. etc.

You do the math, nobody knows for sure, but with the devaluation of the dollar, combined with supply/demand, i am a little worried about where they might go, put it this way, my last new car was a 4cyl, that gets 35-40mpg, i would love a big truck or suv, but there is no way i will take the chance.

Sort of regretting getting my Hemi Dodge Ram back in July at this point but sure is nice having some power, trying to restrain my right foot a lot right now. Running a Superchips tuner so I can at least run 87 octane when gas is high. Can knock down 20mpg on a nice highway stretch but usually averaging about 13-15 around town, one matting of the gas pedal and that goes out the window real quick.:D

Should have made my Mother an offer on my late Dad's Prius but just couldn't bring myself to do that.:smile:

For a RACE car maybe. But considering anything over 600 rwhp is dam near impossible to get traction of the street so I think for a street car application that is unlikely. Would you think that about a Supra? There only a 6 to.

It appears the new cars are getting faster everytime a new one comes out.Here are some things to consider
1 These new cars are very heavy 4200 lbs for some
2 independant suspensions have proven problems with traction
3 v8 and superchargers with std tranny's don't hook up well
4New emmisions make any mods more difficult
5These new cars come with hefty price tags

So I guess I am stuck here with my little 6 cyl:p

Kevin:biggrin:

I became a TR owner in 1992. I would not trade my GN for anything out there. Even if its a free Ferrari. I love my car. It was made druing the time when I grew up. I have too much blood, sweat and tears in it. Its here to stay in my family for my sons.

Dont car if it gets beat by a new car.

I'd rather drive an old Buick..

I don't know what people expect, these cars are over 20 years old!!! Technology was bound to catch up eventually, but hey these cars still do damn well for what they are. Also, have you priced a new Mustang GT, Camaro SS, or even worse a Vette lately?? I've seen Turbo Regals in the for sale section lately that can be had very cheap in comparison (about half of what a new V6 Mustang cost in some cases) and the best part is you are driving a car that is special when compared to these cookie cutter cars. Did I forget to mention you can get agreed value/collector car insurance which is cheap!? The money you save from not buying a new cookie cutter performance car can be used to mod your TR.:cool::D

Oh yeah, in 20 years time let's see how much a new 2011 Mustang GT is worth compared to a TR. Wanna bet the TR is worth more?? These cars have proven that they hold their value!

I rest my case.:)

I was at the track this year and i pitted next to an old guy.
When i say old guy i am fifty so you can guess how old
he looked.I was friendly to him and he kind of snubbed me.
He was driving a 67 chevelle with a 540 big block and a glide.
He made his 10 something pass and came back i ran my 9.50
index class on 18lbs mind you and came back to the trailer.
That when he finally came over and looked under my hood and
said wow that thing really scoots.The priceless part is when i
told him the car was good for another full second and another
18lbs of boost!Stuff like this keeps me in the turbo 6 game.
I also questioned the x275 rules which i am going to race this year.
I asked why no no2 for turbo v6 but ok for 4cyl & inline 6
the race director said because you buick v6 guys a real fast already.
The allure is doing more with less sure its a hassle if i was looking
for easy i would run a fox body sbc combo everyone has one of those.

I agree with the majority.

My car has a beat up paint job and something is always breaking. Every now and again someone pulls up next to me and gives me the thumbs up or says "Nice car! Dont ever sell it" it reminds me why i bought it. This is my first GN and second TR. I was thinking last night on how to find my long lost WH1 where i put a ton of work into 15 years ago...

I dont care about how it stacks up against the competition but i know in this day and age it will still smoke most rides even with the small mods i have. I just love the sound of the turbo spooling right before a launch. I remember when i had my WH1 a friend of mine was in it and we were at a light, i was spooling up and she said "WOW! It sounds like a jet!"

I became a TR owner in 1992. I would not trade my GN for anything out there. Even if its a free Ferrari. I love my car. It was made druing the time when I grew up. I have too much blood, sweat and tears in it. Its here to stay in my family for my sons.

Dont car if it gets beat by a new car.

You feel me... thats how i think, although my car is much older than I am:smile:

yeah right!!!

theres some 4cyls out there that will kick the new v8s in the azz. so i might see going to a 4cyl before a v8 .. 1988 conquest i owm bet up on the irocs with a 4cyl and its stock let me mod it and it would give my gn a run for its money the new race born mustange is old tech mixed with new just because it came from a ford plant doesnt mean its not moded from the factory 40.000 price tag ill take my 4s and 6s any day . but i did see one this summer run a 12.10 with just a cat back and cold air kit its in my album behind my car were it stayed all day long !!!!!!! he invested more than me by about 20.000 and still got smoked ...:)