is the powerlogger a scanmaster replacement?

josh watson

This may be a stupid question...... full throttle says you can use the powerlogger w/ a scanmaster.....I have a laptop and don't want to buy both (and i don't mind tuning with a laptop). I am getting the impression that the only reason to go w/ a scanmaster now is if you don't want to have a laptop in the car (I have an old 333 mhz that will stay in the car).

I am fairly new to the buick scene (and I usually do my tuning with a screw driver and a timing light..........ala carb. style)..thanks

JW

In simple terms, it's not a replacement. The powerlogger is best used with a laptop, and get's it's info in the same manner that direct scan does. While the scanmaster is primarilly a standalone unit that gets it's info in a different manner (ALDL). Both are "scan tools" that provide info, but cannot change or affect the car like aftermarket ECU's.
I use the scanmaster as a daily driver type tool. And use Direct Scan only at the track (haven't upgraded to the PowerLogger yet).
As for timing lights and screwdriver tuning, there isn't much of that on these cars. Timing is controlled by the ECM only, and the only real mechanical adjustments under the hood are IAC (idle air control) and TPS (throttle position sensor). And if you're REALLY OLD SCHOOL, some fuel pressure adjustment.

thanks for the input......just got back from the tax guy and in a few weeks I will be buying parts (gt6152, 60lb mototrons, extender extreme chip, some form of scan/tuningtool......and a maf translator if I have enough left) (I have a lt1 maf already). The car already has the normal stuff (full exhaust, all the fuel system mods, 3" dwn pipe..etc.) I am aware that I will need a converter but it doesn't have to all be done now.....oh.......and an alchy kit :D I was just wondering if I need the scanmaster or if I can just do my tuning with the powerlogger....I am computer literate....just haven't done much with computers in car..:)

thanks again

Not to mention, that in a later release...There will be a chip and cable to input the Power Logger data to the scanmaster for a real time display of info...

I say get the scanmaster first...sure is hard to read a laptop while driving. The scanmaster gives you info in a small package that always stays in the car.

Jason

thanks for the input......just got back from the tax guy and in a few weeks I will be buying parts (gt6152, 60lb mototrons, extender extreme chip, some form of scan/tuningtool......and a maf translator if I have enough left) (I have a lt1 maf already).

Say,
Nice choice on mods. Tax man gave me a bit of my money back, the rest they saw fit to keep. :mad: You will need a converter with the gt6152. I don't have a scanmaster, well I do but it is the first one they came out with, so I would at least get one of the ones they are offering now. Tuning with a lap top isn't that hard and the board at FullThrottleTech.com has lots of great folks on it willing to help. :smile:

scanmaster

scanmaster it is then.....for now.....a month or two and I will get the powerlogger and the torque converter (I already have an aftermarket..installed by the previous owner..somewhere in the neighborhood of 25oo on the footbrake anyway) I'll go with a 3000 or 3200 lockup...thanks again for the input.

JW