Is my stock GN slow???

Killa-Cotton

Is 9.29 with a 2.10 60ft slow for a stock 85k mile GN at 15lbs of boost? The car does have a slight leak at the turbo flange. I've ordered a copper gasket to fix. I was rather disappointed. I have a stock Conquest that went 9.08 & 1.98 60ft. I was sure that my GN would be quicker than that.

Define stock? My car ran 7.76 @ 87 when it had stock turbo, injectors, intercooler, trans, suspension...mods in my signature no times with the TE60,009 injectors, PTE intercooler.

Okay bone stock? Like does the car have a stock chip in it? Has there been any fuel mods done to it? Like a Walboro pump? any exhaust work? Is the factory cat still on it? What about the airfilter? Do you have a K&N with a new solid MAF pipe?

that does seem a bit off, even for a 100% stock car. My first thoughts are injectors or exhaust related. While the mileage may be low, it's still 19 years old. If the site is back up and running, go to gnttype.org and research the tech section on tuning first and try to get a feel for what the car is doing.

A good running 100% stock GN should run around a 14 flat in the 1/4 mile. I am not too sure what the 1/8 mile time is. That 60' is not that too bad for a stock tire (215/65/15 radial.)

What was your MPH, that will tell you if you are making power.
Should be 79-80mph in the 1/8 to be a 14 flat in the 1/4.

The farthest back my records go is Sept 1999. At that time my car had a Thrasher 92 chip, THDP, 3" cat, 3" TT exhaust, a Walboro, 235/60 BFG Radial T/As and 17 PSI. It ran 8.7-8.8 @ 79-80 MPH in the 1/8. That translated to high-13s (13.8-13.9) in the 99 MPH range.

So I'd say those times for a stock-stock car aren't too far off.

Jim

If it will make you feel any better, my first pass (ever) down a dragstrip - with just doing a poke and go at the start - got me a 15:52 timeslip for the 1/4 in my 87 GN.
It also got me a 2nd place trophy. 15:53 on a 15:52 dial-in was hard to beat.
It took me a long time just to get in the 13's.
Now I'm looking for an 11.
Patience. It's all there someplace.
You just have to find it and put it in the right order.

My speed was 78mph. Thanks guys , that makes me feel a little better. Now it's time to spend some money. 9's are not gonna cut it.

Killa-Cotton said:
My speed was 78mph. Thanks guys , that makes me feel a little better. Now it's time to spend some money. 9's are not gonna cut it.

78 MPH isn't too shabby for an all stock car. With traction you'd be sub-9 seconds in the 1/8th. All of my times and associated mods are here (from 1999 through the present), listed newest to oldest.

http://www.turbojimmy.com/drgrace.html

I won't go so far as to say that the times represent optimal tuning or best performance for given mods but they are 'real world' average guy numbers.

Jim

I remember when I started, it wasnt all fun and games either. The guy I got it from really let the car go.

Simple tires, 25 tall dirt bozz got me 13.37 first pass. It was about an 8 tenths gain just that. It was a 1.8 60'.

There is lots to learn, and age does play a factor no matter what kind of shape.

First time to the track (this month) I learned quickly that most of where my car makes its mind on what it will run in the 1/4 is within the first 60'. IF I leave with little or no boost, it would 60' around 2.20. Once I learned how to launch it hard and leave with 7 lbs it was a lot better. I spun, but finally got below 2.0 60'. (1.96) which got the car into a better run, getting a 12.84 @ a slow 106.

Learn how to leave hard under boost and get your 60' down, and then keep trying to get your mph up. That is what I learned. :D

The `87 T-Type I bought new did a 14.11 in the 1/4 fighting for traction. Don't remember the mph but it seems like it was upper 90's. This was a long time ago and it was done absolutely bone stock including those worthless Eagle GT's. Those things would get stuck on a cigar butt. I do remember it was Easter Sunday 1987. Took it there to kill some time before Easter dinner and cut a .001 bulb and nobody was there to see it :frown:

Bill

exactly

Exactly,Squid4life said it. Once you can 60' you got that brick moving.
Slow 60' slooow times :biggrin:

don't feel bad, I just got back from the track and with all the mods in my sig I was very disappointed. 2.10 60' time and 8.89 @ 83 was the best I could get...but that was on street tires, 19# boost and a massive header leak.

My first time to the track with my 140k (at the time) bone stock GN (I might have had an open element K&N attached on the stock MAF meter.... was 9.20@80 ... ...... add a 3" THDP....valve springs.....test pipe....and a little tuning netted an 8.32 @ 83 or so... on maybe 14 psi boost. Both times were with 26x10.5 ET streets on some aluminum S10 wheels. It was in this state I made a couple 1/4 mile passes on regular radials.... went 13.6 at like 103 mph in the quarter on the 2nd (last) pass that night with a 2.17 60' time....

HTH

Current times are in sig.... still with the stock turbo.... lots more tuning to do.....