Is my cooling fan working??????

AlvinB24

Just got my car and i dont think the cooling fan is working, ive not seen it come on and ive left the car fun for about 15 mins. then the service engine soon light comes on, but no water temp light, i think maybe the idiot light dont work. Does anyone know anyway to check the cooling fan to see if its working, Is there a fuse for it or sumthing, or how can i jump it to see if the fan itself even works??? Any help on this would be great, cuz this is my first TR and i dont know much about them yet!!!
Thanks

Locate the coolant switch on the lower intake, right below the throttle linkage. It should have one wire connecting to it (green with yellow stripe, I think too lazy to look right now). Disconnect it and jumper it to ground, the high speed fan should come on when the ignition is on. You need to get a scan tool on this car because you have other problems as well and could be overheating the engine and causing damage.

mweber said:
Locate the coolant switch on the lower intake, right below the throttle linkage. It should have one wire connecting to it (green with yellow stripe, I think too lazy to look right now). Disconnect it and jumper it to ground, the high speed fan should come on when the ignition is on. You need to get a scan tool on this car because you have other problems as well and could be overheating the engine and causing damage.

Hey, i just jumped that wire going to the coolant switch, and the fan comes on!! so now at least i know the fan works, so does this mean that the coolant switch is bad?? What should i do next?

No, that just means the fan motor and the high speed relay are good. The computer turns on the low speed fan when the temperature reaches the setting in the chip. Are you running the stock chip? You need to locate the low speed relay on the drivers side fender. It is the one that has two small dark green wires going to it. If you introduce a ground two the terminal that the green wires are hooked to the low speed fan should come on with the ignition on. See the attached picture.

Mike

ok, i just jumped the low speed fan relay like you said and it also works.
So maybe i dont have a problem after all?? Or is there sumthing else that i need to check??

By the way, thanks alot for all your help!!

If the check engine light comes on you still have a problem. The only thing left is the computer is bad or the wire coming from the computer is broken somewhere. Does the fan run when you turn on the A/C, if the A/C works.

Mike

mweber said:
If the check engine light comes on you still have a problem. The only thing left is the computer is bad or the wire coming from the computer is broken somewhere. Does the fan run when you turn on the A/C, if the A/C works.

Mike

no, the fan does not come on with the A/C, but i dont think the A/C works anyways!!