is a t type and a gn much different

perm01

I want a 87 gn but a t type seems to be more affordable, so I was wondering what is different between the two, and if you put the gn interior and wheels on a t type would anybody really know.thanks for any help

By the time you spent all the money on making a T look like a GN, you probably could have bought a GN ;). Essentially, they're the same, other than paint, interior and trim....

The T-Type is actually more rare as there were less made than Gn's in '87. Not sure why they are worth less from that perspective. I'd rather have one then its a real sleeper, others would be wondering how they got beat by Grandma's car or that low rider Regal.

GN's run 10's from the factory and come with three turbos.

T's have zero turbos and run 18's.

Originally posted by kenny

A quote from an original General Motors document to all the Buick Dealers.
" The TurboT package{WE4} will enable you to merchandise a car similar in appearance,and yet lighter in weight,than the Grand National.This reduction in weight, theorectically makes the Turbo T faster than the Grand National;and for a lower price."
So if you like the looks of G.N. and wanna go fast buy a WE4:)

Originally posted by kenny

That may (or may not ) be true. But the conversation will still always be the same, "that turbo car ran a 10! - which one? - uuhhhh, the black one, uuhhh, no, that black one..........

turbo t

gee it must be late I could have sworn that my t 83 T Type had a turbo earlier today or was it just a dream?

Grand Nationals were blacked out from bumper to bumper and had most power options. They had the Grand national bagding and the black/grayish-white (im color blind) interior.

T-types and Turbo T's were available in their choice of colors and were NOT blacked out (except the WE4 which is super rare) and had the cloth bench seats, and basic options. Roll up windows ect.

They were lighter and for the fact of the matter just a little quicker than the buicks. And they were real sleepers.

So essentialy they are the same car, your just paying the extra penny for the grand national name.

Re: turbo t

Originally posted by st1nger
gee it must be late I could have sworn that my t 83 T Type had a turbo earlier today or was it just a dream?

You're obviously dreaming.

Originally posted by perm01
I want a 87 gn but a t type seems to be more affordable, so I was wondering what is different between the two, and if you put the gn interior and wheels on a t type would anybody really know.thanks for any help

If it's not black, they will know. ;)

Originally posted by 87grandnational
Grand Nationals were blacked out from bumper to bumper and had most power options.
Hmm, my GN has power nothing except steering and brakes...how rare is that? No power windows, no power locks, no trunk release, no T-tops.

Turbo-T all the way...

Well being one of the lucky guys with a 87 Turbo-T with the astro-roof option, full chrome package, bucket seats with floor shifter, and no turbo and a 18 second time slip... :rolleyes: I'd like to add that if you get a T Type, go to your local wrecking yard and get a stock regal hood, nobody would know you have a turbo. Best anti-theft device ever, why steel your "hot rood looken" regal with the larger rear tires when they can steal your neighbors "g-thang" regal with wire wheels and that chain steering wheel? If you got a black regal, everybody knows that is a grand national... or a Monty SS... :D

Re: gn what the diff

Originally posted by st1nger
what year is your car are you sure its a gn? ha ha or is that hohoho
'87, yep its a GN, bought it from the president of the water ski club I was in at the time, his Dad worked for GM, he specifically wanted one with no power options so he would not have to worry about anything failing or needing replaced over time, and his Dad went and picked it right off the assembly line. I bought the car almost 14 years ago and it only had 10k miles on it when I bought it.