IRS troubles

DCEPTCN

Smasher-Devourer
Has anybody here actually called the number for these guys who claim they can 'settle your IRS troubles for just $20'? About a decade ago, I was a teenager who rarely lived in the same place for more than six months at a time and, although the IRS raped me on every paycheck, I didn't file for a return. Now I'm getting letters from Uncle Sam telling me I owe them enough money to buy a cherry GN. My in laws told me to call their tax guy.....he apparently didn't hear me when I said 'I can't afford this crap' because he wants $150 hour to look at it.

Thanks,
Pennyless In Seattle

Isn't there a statute of limitations on tax returns? 10 years ago I would think they would have let it go.

Just googled it....no statute on tax returns not filed....just on returns with mistakes in them.

Sylvan:
I am not going to hang any wash in public here. But I will tell you that if you don't get it straightened out, they will eventually garnish your wages till hell freezes over. Ask me how I know.
Call me if you want, but whatever you do, get it taken care of.

Originally posted by Wells
Sylvan:
I am not going to hang any wash in public here. But I will tell you that if you don't get it straightened out, they will eventually garnish your wages till hell freezes over. Ask me how I know.
Call me if you want, but whatever you do, get it taken care of.

Take it from a CPA, that's the best advice you can get!!

Good Luck

Get this taken care of as SOON AS POSSIBLE. The problem will NOT go away, they will come after you, freeze your assets, garnish your wages, and the fines and penalties will be so severe that you will wonder how the heck your back taxes and penalties add up to more than you make in a year, or in several years.

A high school friend had this problem a few years back, as he moved around a lot for a period of years then settled down. Didn't file taxes as he lived pretty much hand to mouth for a while, and pretty much worked for cash as best he could. He figured he was such small potatoes, the IRS would never waste their time.

As was said above, there is NO statute of limitations if you owe taxes, and they WILL get whatever they think they are owed and then some. They can't take away the tools of your trade, and some other stuff, but in my friends case, the amount of money he owed with penalties ended up being more than everything he owned put together, several times over. Just crazy..

Anyway, good luck. The $20 thing sounds like it's too good to be true. Tax attorney guys around here charge $200 an hour plus, and they have lots of business. Deal with the IRS directly, explain your situation, and see what you can work out. If you ignore it, things may stay quiet for a few months, and you may think they forgot about you... They WILL come back, and the penalties just keep adding up.

My friend is now basically working to pay off the crap he owes to the IRS for god knows how long, unless he gets a much better job, and its for stuff he did like 15 years ago, for what seemed like chump change at the time.

Get this taken care of now.

Billy
Montgomery Village, MD

The IRS is nothing to screw around with. Those guys can put a lock on your front door or put a hold on all of your assets WITHOUT a court order. An IRS agent has more power to make your life miserable than any policemen or federal agent ever could. Fortunately for us, they seem to weild their power fairly judiciously.

With all that said, I would hire an accountant ASAP. They can help minimize what you owe.....whatever you pay them will likely be less than the money they will save you. Sorry about the bad luck. Hope it all works out.

Dumb question, but how many years did you not file?? And how much money could a teen of the feds??

I agree with everyone else.. get it squared up. But I'm just curious.

Originally posted by gn85
Dumb question, but how many years did you not file?? And how much money could a teen of the feds??

I agree with everyone else.. get it squared up. But I'm just curious.
Well, I got a letter saying that I didn't file when I was 19 and when I was 20. True....but the scarcity of work at that time has me doubting that I 25,000 in those two years. (Welding on oil rigs in nowhere, NV dries up a lot). They claim I owe them:

1996: $3,857.44 + accrued interest @ $642.60= $4,500.04
1997: $5,559.46 + accryed interest @ $817.39= $6,376.85

Total amount due: $10,876.89
...and that's only for two of the years that I didn't file. This seriously has me wanting to0 slap some people....I mean, c'mon- that's likel more than half of what I made in those two years.

If you call them and talk to them about this you will be surprised how much less they will take,

The best thing to do is talk to them so they don't think you are blowing them off (THEY DON"T LIKE THAT)

good luck

The IRS sucks. And they don't like it when you don't file. Basically, you are now their bitch.

Originally posted by The Blob
The IRS sucks. And they don't like it when you don't file. Basically, you are now their bitch.
It seems like the second you get your hands on a dollar, you can't keep track of how many organizations claim you as their bitch.....but when you were broke, you were free. Is it worth it?

800-IRS-AWAY Hear they help you settle eith the IRS. Not the 20 dollar way either. They deal with this all the time and sound to be real good at it. No idea how much it costs. I personally have delt with the owner and he is a square shooter.

MY UNCLE GOT IN A LITTLE STINK WITH FEDERAL GOV OVER TAXES,THEY ARE KINDA FUNNY ,THEY LIKE TO LET IT ADD UP OVER THE YEARS THEN NAIL YOUR A$$ TO THE WALL!!!
MYUNCLE ENDED UP IN FEDERAL PEN FOR 5 YEARS OVER THAT WHOLE DEAL!
FIX IT NOW WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!!!!!

KEITH

Originally posted by DCEPTCN
Has anybody here actually called the number for these guys who claim they can 'settle your IRS troubles for just $20'? About a decade ago, I was a teenager who rarely lived in the same place for more than six months at a time and, although the IRS raped me on every paycheck, I didn't file for a return. Now I'm getting letters from Uncle Sam telling me I owe them enough money to buy a cherry GN. My in laws told me to call their tax guy.....he apparently didn't hear me when I said 'I can't afford this crap' because he wants $150 hour to look at it.

Thanks,
Pennyless In Seattle
OK, If you really want to know, the people who settled for $20 would have actually had money coming back to them if they used someone real. A guy I work with had the IRD tell him he owed them $50,000 with all the penalties attached, when he actually filed he was down to $1,500 and they were happy. The IRS figures are for the worst case scenerieo with interest attached, the real numbers only come after you talk to them.

IRS -NOT!

DO NOT DEAL DIRECTLY WITH THE IRS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
check around, get a tax attorney, it'll save you money in the long run, a good atty can, and will, negotiate for you, and he knows the law, and will make the IRS stick to the law. believe me, the IRS will not play by their own rules, I speak from experience, I'm one of the few who has litigated and won, including damages , from the IRS.
They don't play fair!!!!! believe me.

good luck, you'll need it !

cruzn57

The I.R.S showed up at a buddy of mines work one day and threw big chains and pad locks on the hangar doors and made everyone leave.He and the rest of the mechanics in there had to leave their tools and boxes behind.Mysteriously the owner didnt show up that day.That was fifteen years ago and said owner just now made his last payment to uncle sam.