Intrepid fan question, yes i searched. Lol. Please help.

dragrazor

I usually do quite a bit of searching before i ask a question, especially one that may have been beat up a bit. Some of my questions have been answered except for this:

1) If i install an intrepid fan with a plug and play harness, will the fans come on at the same temperature that is programmed on the chip?

2) I know caspers sells a true plug and play harness for the intrepid fans but when they come on, are they on high speed? I understand that on low speed, the intrepid fans may not put out the cfm's needed so one should run them high all the time but what about in the winter months? I live in florida where there is no snow so yes, i will be driving it in the winter. If the chip is programmed to turn on at 160 like my thermostat, the temperature will probably never go under 160 so the fans will always be on high speed. I would like a low speed option for the winter months, or even spring months.

3) Racetronix sells a harness and they claim that their's has a dual speed setup. Anyone use one of their harnesses? If so, how does it work with a turbo tweak chip and dual speeds? Does it turn on at your chip programmed temps? When does the high speed come on? How did you get their harness to work with your intrepid fan if one of the plugs is not compatible?
Thank you in advance for my potentially stupid questions but i am still learning.

Ok--I am using the kirban dual fans with the plug and play harness--the fans run at high speed only and are directed to come on by the computer--hence whatever chip you have. I too, have a 160 degree thermostat and my funds run about 1/2 the amount of time compared to stock. A/c seems a bit cooler due to more air across condenser. There is no low speed operation with this set up. Not excessively loud neither. Hope that helps. Dp

1 yes comes on when low relay activates which is controlled by the chip

2 you need power at the yellow and green wires on the dual fans for high speed , power only one color and they run low speed (either color doesnt matter) caspers plug and play adapter and their hotwire setup jumps the OE low speed power (commanded by the chip) to both power feeds (yellow and green) and they run in high speed mode triggered on by the low speed relay and only the low relay ...neither of his setups allow the factory high speed relay to to run fans if the low speed relay goes out which can happen because with the plug in adapter its running both fans on high through the OE low relay .

3 racetronix hotwire runs the fans powered off the battery with sepaate relays and those relays are activated by the oe setup .. low commanded by the ecu is low and high when ac is on or when temps reach 224 is high. if you want high speed because of your climate just jump the green wires together at the oe relays and the fans will come on high speed ,i use a 3m tap loc squeeze on that takes male spade terminals and madeke a jumper with male spade ends and plugin if needed .. remove the jumper in winter and youre back to normal low speed /high speed .
in the north east with the rtx in low speed with dual fans thats more than enough, when a/c runs it goes high and no problems and a/c even works better , in winter i run just one fan in low by unplugging one of the fans on the dual fan unit

Last edited:
I also live in Florida (Orlando) and I have a F-Body Radiator with Intrepid fans. my car has never gone above 185 in the hottest days down here. I am running the FAST system and the fans come on at about 160. but I don't see it being any different with a chip.

I also live in Florida (Orlando) and I have a F-Body Radiator with Intrepid fans. my car has never gone above 185 in the hottest days down here. I am running the FAST system and the fans come on at about 160. but I don't see it being any different with a chip.

Chips can have different settings. I to run a 160 thermostat, however I have my chip turn on temp set to around 175 and turn off around 170. That way they're not always running. Doesn't matter if you have a 160 thermostat, if you have the chip set higher, that's the temps the coolant will be kept to.

1 yes comes on when low relay activates which is controlled by the chip

2 you need power at the yellow and green wires on the dual fans for high speed , power only one color and they run low speed (either color doesnt matter) caspers plug and play adapter and their hotwire setup jumps the OE low speed power (commanded by the chip) to both power feeds (yellow and green) and they run in high speed mode triggered on by the low speed relay and only the low relay ...neither of his setups allow the factory high speed relay to to run fans if the low speed relay goes out which can happen because with the plug in adapter its running both fans on high through the OE low relay .

3 racetronix hotwire runs the fans powered off the battery with sepaate relays and those relays are activated by the oe setup .. low commanded by the ecu is low and high when ac is on or when temps reach 224 is high. if you want high speed because of your climate just jump the green wires together at the oe relays and the fans will come on high speed ,i use a 3m tap loc squeeze on that takes male spade terminals and madeke a jumper with male spade ends and plugin if needed .. remove the jumper in winter and youre back to normal low speed /high speed .
in the north east with the rtx in low speed with dual fans thats more than enough, when a/c runs it goes high and no problems and a/c even works better , in winter i run just one fan in low by unplugging one of the fans on the dual fan unit

Pacecarta, using the racetronix harness, can the chip be programmed to turn the fans on high, say like around 175 and stay at low speed like around 160 till it reaches 175? On the highway, my car does not go over 167 but does not go below that either. In other words, the fans turn on low at 160, if it reaches 175 or the a/c turns on, it goes to high speed. When it goes below, say 170, it goes back to low. Make sense?

Last edited:
no , ecu only has one fan output control wire that grounds the low speed relay
the tt chipturns on at approx 168
if you want more control you could run a different thermostatic controlled fan switch inplace of the stock high heat (overheat) switch on the top of intake
something like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hfm-zfswf/overview/
could be swapped in simply to replace the stock 224* on switch with a 180* on /170* off . it will ground and turn on fans in high speed using the stock wiring and the rtx hotwire it will work ... close to what your looking for

heres one from derale that does 180*on /165* off http://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-16730
just need to connect one leg of the contacts to ground the other to the green wire

Last edited:
You guys have helped me out a bunch!! Last question, if i buy the racetronix harness, will it fit my oe plug? I have read here that the racetronix harness has a different plug than the intrepid fans, has that been fixed? Where can i find the plug i need?

racetronic kit comes with a GM style weatherpack female plug kit that matches the OE plug on your old fan ..you install the new connector at the fan (cut off the chrysler plug end and install the one supplied ..
yellow to A (OE low speed controlled)
green to B (OE high speed relay controlled)
ground(s) to C . some fans have two ground at plug (4wire), some only one(3wire)
then the rtx hotwire harness has a male and female OE fan plug that plugs to the existing fan connector on your harness to operate the new hotwired relays and then into the fan

I just installed my new Dual Intrepid fans and Caspers harness from Kirbans. Mine kick on at 167 and off at 162, and stay on constant if the AC is on. I noticed the factory 3 pin connector where the harness plugs into gets very hot. Is this normal, or is there a solution? Maybe some dielectric grease?

Did the Caspers harness you received include two relays, and a hot wire connection?

Yes, the 2 relays were included and installed. I added another ground wire to the ground wire that is getting hot. I also put dielectric grease on the connectors. The only real issue is that the ground wire right near the factory 3-pin connector stays very hot when the fans are on. All else looks good.

Yes, the 2 relays were included and installed. I added another ground wire to the ground wire that is getting hot. I also put dielectric grease on the connectors. The only real issue is that the ground wire right near the factory 3-pin connector stays very hot when the fans are on. All else looks good.

Check the amp draw. It's likely higher than the wire/connector is rated for.

With those dual relays, that connector should NOT be getting hot. There's no big current draw through there. The new relay set should be getting their power directly from the battery, or alternator, whichever you have them hooked to. The only signals going through that factory connector is signals from the the factory relays.