Interested in New SS Headers for TTA ?

Lynn D. Brown

Jay Carter may be willing to make SS headers for our TTA's. Here is his E-Mail to me :

"Hi Lynn

We could make a set if you wanted. Depending on what collectors we
used, the price would be anywhere from $1400-$1700 out of stainless. I
might can do a little better, just depends on what kind of deal I can
find on stainless. The collectors are where the money comes in. A
stamped collector is under $100, a good quality merge collector is
about $400 out of stainless. V bands also run the price of the headers
up.. V band sets are about $90, my cost.

If you guys wanted to do a group buy, I could probably get the cost
down to maybe $1200-$1500 a set. Keep in mind we build all this stuff
by hand, one piece at a time. We dont have a mandrel bender so headers
are labor intensive for us.

I do have a TTA I can use here for mock up if you want us to build you
a set. We could probably whip up some 4 inch inlet tubes while we're
doing the headers if there was any interest in that."

So. do we have any interest ? E-Mail me @ L2D3B@aol.com so I can keep count.

thought factory are SS :confused: ?

they are S/S...just can't get them anymore and nobody makes aftermarket headers for the TTA...unfortunately probably won't get to many to bite on $1500 headers. Really sucks that is has come to $1000 down pipes and $1500 headers...I suppose cross over pipes will be $500-$800 ? So for around $3,000 you can get shorty headers, crossover and and a DP without even starting on the rest of the exhaust yet. Better buy the good S/S stuff so figure on another $800-$900. Wow almost $4,000 for a complete system :eek: That's just not right no matter how you look at it :mad:

maybe Jay can copy the stockers :confused:

It still comes down to materials. I just finished up a set of Buick headers for someone and had over $750 in parts alone. Good stainless is not cheap. V band kits are not cheap. Collectors are DEFINITELY not cheap. A good quality merge collector is about $300.00 each. Thats why all the Buick headers use cheap, stamped collectors.

ATR headers were $1000.00 before they went out of business and they were built on a jig with crappy stamped collectors We're going to build them by hand, one piece at a time for a few hundred more.

Im sorry that the Chinese junk has lowered everyone's expectations on what headers cost. Shane and I had some custom stuff done a few years ago by Dawson Racing Headers and we paid about $2500 a set. I thought our price was pretty reasonable considering we probably wouldnt make but a few sets. This isnt a money maker for us, thats for sure. It was just something for the community. We'll have way more labor tied up in making these things than I priced them out for.

I do not car what it is, headers, clothes, paint jobs or women, you pay for quality one time and one time only:cool:

Lynn,
Whats wrong with the stock headers? How fast are you looking to go? In the early '90s my wife's Formula ran 10.50s then the motor went 10.20 in a '93 Formula. Also keep in mind we were only running 20lbs boost. There was no Razor Alky kit back then. Now Im sure we could get it into the 9's with 25-27lbs. They are not like the GN headers. The drivers side were a 3 into 1 collector so theres no problem cracking like the GN's. And the passanger side was a better design then the GN. But I cut the tubes and opened up where the tubes enter the main log on the pass side & cleaned up the collector on the drivers side then welded them up. This is a big problem on the GN's but not as bad on the TTA's. But every little bit helps.

Steve K.

This isnt a money maker for us, thats for sure. It was just something for the community. We'll have way more labor tied up in making these things than I priced them out for.

I am right there with Jay on this one. You figure a good set of headers will have days worth of labor put into them. Nothing is pre bent, everything is cut to fit, and EVERY header is custom one off stuff, no jig parts.
Trust me when I say, building a set of headers is no walk in the park.

Jay's right. The proliferation of chinese crap throughout our economy has definately lowered many people's expectations of what pricing should be on like products. Even though they (chinese products) aren't really like products at all.

Scott,
My wifes Formula is a black 1989. Ed Narkin's '93 Formula that was in GM High Tech is black and had the motor from her car. The '93 car now belongs to Wayne Dunrite in Delaware and also has a Dale Cherry motor so it should really fly. I have a Stage 2 for her car but its hard to find time to put it in. One of these days.

Steve K.