Insurance question, need help

turbosam6

My cars suck
My g/f T boned some lady today, with her 89 honda civic, which is insured in my name. For that matter, its my car. She is listed as a driver on my policy through State Farm. My g/f was ticketed for failure to yeild, nobody was hurt, but the Subaru she hit is pretty messed up. Obviously these people are going to make a claim on our insurance, and the ticket she got is going to affect my rates, but by how much? I have 2 other cars with her as a driver also. Basically I'm wondering how much I can expect to see our bill increase due to this. I'm guessing under $2000 damage to the Subaru. We will not be making a claim on our Honda. It only needs a headlight and turn signal lens. So much for Subarus being durable, huh? I know there are some insurance experts here, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Originally posted by turbosam6
My g/f T boned some lady today, with her 89 honda civic, which is insured in my name. For that matter, its my car. She is listed as a driver on my policy through State Farm. My g/f was ticketed for failure to yeild, nobody was hurt, but the Subaru she hit is pretty messed up. Obviously these people are going to make a claim on our insurance, and the ticket she got is going to affect my rates, but by how much? I have 2 other cars with her as a driver also. Basically I'm wondering how much I can expect to see our bill increase due to this. I'm guessing under $2000 damage to the Subaru. We will not be making a claim on our Honda. It only needs a headlight and turn signal lens. So much for Subarus being durable, huh? I know there are some insurance experts here, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Depends on the rest of both your records. If the damage is $2000 you will definitely be surcharged.. Surcharges for an at fault accident with ticket are usually in the range of $200-300, but it really depends on what youre paying right now as its based on a percentage of your policy.

Right now we both have clean records, as in no moving violations. Heres the deal: The Honda she was driving is in my name, with her as a driver. The rest of my cars are in my fathers name, with both of us (me and my g/f) as drivers. I know the insurance is going to go up on the honda as a result of this accident, but what about the other 2 vehicles? I can remove her as a driver on the GN, which I'm paying very little for, but the 99 Lightning is driven by both of us. Also, we are both 26 years old, and unmarried. How much can this affect my rates since none of the policies are in her name? Thanks for the help!

does she have an insured vehicle? (or is she just on your policy?)

you will pay at least as much in surcharges as the $2,000 damages (prolly over 3 years or so).....it doesn't go by vehicle.....they will surcharge your whole policy, starting with your highest rated vehicle.......no way around it with an at fault accident

No she is just on my policy. I told the people she hit to call me when they get an estimate, so I could avoid a claim and pay it myself, unless its really expensive. Then I'd have to pay my lawyer to get the ticket reduced to a non mover. Could be lots o' $$$. This sucks.