Installing new Racetronix walbro 340 kit, have a few questions

FlaBoy

Just a good ole boy...
Well I'm hoping to install my new fuel pump this weekend, but there are a few little questions I was hoping you guys could help me with. I tried e-mailing Racetronix with them, but i havent gotten a reply yet and like I said, I'm hopin to knock this out tongiht and tomorrow. First off, I've never swapped an electric fuel pump before, much less one on a GN, so im not really sure of the procedure. It looks like it would be pretty straightforward, just drop the tank, remove the pump assembly, replace all the old parts (pump, in-tank wiring, filter sock, fuel hose, rubber mount/sleeve, etc) with the new ones in the kit, then re-install it back in the tank. If theres more to it than that, or any little tricks or hints I should know about, please let me know. MY main questions though, are about 2 peices that came with the installation kit. One is a "test-lead", a little 4 inch lenght of wire with a male spade connector on one end and an alligator clip on the other. What is this for, and where/how does it get installed. Second is a paperclip.. they have a pic of it on their website, and they included one in with my install kit... what the heck is it for? the hotwire kit has some great and detailed install insturctions for it, so im not to worried about that. I jsut wanna make sure I get this fuel pump in correctly the first time. I'm a GN newbie, so I figure its better to ask a lot of stupid questions and get things done right than not ask enough and do it wrong, ya know? Thanks for all the help!

The wire with the spade connector and alligator clip is only used if you want to jumper your fuel pump to turn it on from under the hood.Really don't need it,just tuck it away in some drawer and thats it.The paper clip I believe is used to help get the clips off the assembly in the tank,once the sending unit is out in front of you.When your there you will see what I mean.It was really easy when I did mine.Just look everything over FIRST!BEFORE you start unhooking things.Know where everything is going to go BEFORE you disassemble the sending unit!HTH!BY the way I thought the Racetronix kit was everything it should have been and then some!Good choice!

Mike,

Thanks for the help... thats kinda what I figured the paperclip was for, but I just wanted to make sure before I got started. Just for future refernce, if I wanted to use the test-lead to empty my tank or whatever, do you know where it plugs into and where it clips on? As far as making sure i remember how everything goes back together, I found the best thing anytime I'm doing any sort of work with a lot of intricate parts (like re-assembling drum brake mechanisms) I take dozens of digital pictures before taking it apart, so I can refer to them when it comes time to re-install. Thansk again for the help!

Hey Corey,
Just another reminder, don't want to insult you in anyway, but make sure that the tank is almost empty when you drop it, I used a piece of plywood w/ floor jack to lower it, disconnet the fuel lines on top and make sure you remember where each one connects to, also there's a metal slide ring on top that holds the fuel pump assembly, so don't be using a screw driver and try tapping it out, just use a piece a wood and slow tap the ring counter clock wise and the fuel pump should just come right out.......... oooops almost forgot, don't forget to disconnect your battery too, good luck :)

On the driver's side behind the alternator is a green connector you will need to drain your fuel tank. Remove the fittig at the end of your fuel rail, connect a hose to it (or if you have the right type of hose, hook it up to the schrader fitting on the fuel rail), put the other end of the hose in an empty gas can, and then use the jumper supplied in the kit to go from the positive connector on the alternator to the green connector. That will turn on your fuel pump. To stop the fuel pump just pull off the alligator clip. HTH.

Thanks for all the advice... it's things like this that make me thankful theres such a great resource out there for GN owners. My tank ahs maybe a gallon in it right now, and for lowering I have 2 nice rolling floor jacks and an extra set of hands (restoring my dads 64 Chrysler 300 from the gournd up has come in handy, cuz now hes always willing to lend a hand on my car projects). And don't worry about insulting me. I've done a lot of work on cars, but it's all been on old 60's iron, so I know that for now I'm outta league when it comes to modern injected, computer controlled cars. I'm learning fast, but for the time being, I know I'm still a neophyte when it comes to a lot of this stuff, which is why I figure it's best to ask as many questions as I can think of... there only one way ot learn all this stuff :) Hopefully by this time tomorrow, I'll have a new pump and hotwire kit installed. I'll let y'all know how it turns out :)

The G75 sender in the 85 TR is simpler to install than the G77 type. Just remember to remove the pulsator and replace it with the rubber hose. The harness installation is covered in the e-mail link sent to you along with your tracking information.