installing front upper tubular control arms:any tips ,tricks,how to's???

TMGN

Installing the front upper tubular control arms.Looking for tricks and tips and how-to's.It looks easy but thought I'd ask.Thanks in advance,Tony

Installing the front upper tubular control arms.Looking for tricks and tips and how-to's.It looks easy but thought I'd ask.Thanks in advance,Tony

take off tire pop off upper ball joint and remove two bolts on frame remember to save and mark how the alignment shims were placed then reverse procedure. you might need an aligment

Make sure they go on the correct side. What appears correct is not. Mine had a very small L and R written on the small white sticker in pen. Ask me how I know!!!:biggrin:

This mite help, Look in the tech files for how to Convert to 12 inch brakes here, is the last two, hope this helps and good luck.
:eek: O and if you are doing the lower bushings and boll joint be very careful with the spring compression tool, ask me how I now:mad:

Don't forget to support the very end of the lower control arm before you disconnect the upper ball joint from the spindle or you might get a surprise.

I just put mine on last weekend. The front end was already apart.
*Removing the downpipe helps (but isn't necessary) on the pass. side.
*GearWrench or ratcheting box (18mm) helps on both sides. It's tight on the driver's side with the steering column in the way.
*Have some tape or zip ties ready to secure and label the shims when you remove the old arms.
*You may have already read this elsewhere, but don't turn the bolt heads - just the locknuts. The bolts are serrated to fit into the frame, and once they turn freely, they're pretty much done. You can get around that with the tubular arms, but it's still a pain...
HTH