installed my test pipe with cutout and had a BLAST racing tonight!!(

trbojo

'Stang Stinger
i got my test pipe from john's performance and installed on friday. i've been running around with the dump open, and it sounds and feels GREAT! so i decide to go out cruising the boulevard tonight looking for some fun, since the weather was great, plenty of nice COLD air. i found plenty of fun. i circled around about 5 times and finally caught a light with a black 2000 something camaro and a newer charcoal grey mustang, i thnk it was a cobra. we were at the light at haldeman and the blvd. i wasn't sure if they were gonna go or not, so i didn't build boost and get a good launch. the camaro got a car on me and the cobra? got two. as soon as i spooled, i pulled 2 on the camaro, and the stang had about 4, and wasn't going to pull much more. he let out, and me and the camaro kept going to about 105-110, and i had 1 1/2 to 2 on him and there was no way he was going to pull me. fun #1. i cruise up and roll around at rhawn strret and head back northbound. came up to haldeman(again!), and roll up on a ratty looking late 80/early 90 something camaro. i look, he nods. i say "you wanna go", he says "sure". again, i didn't get a good launch because the light changed too fast. we were neck and neck til he hit second, and he pulled about 3 to 4 on me and it was staying about there. we get to the next light and i say "nice, what are you runnin?" he says "383 stroker". no wonder! we cruise out and get to the light at comly, and a black late 90/00 something mustang pull to my left. we roll to the first short light, it changes and we hit it. i pulled 2 to 3 on him and kept it. he let out, but i think he might have missed 3rd gear. we all head north, and spin around at old lincoln highway. it just so happened that me, the mustang and the camaro end up at the light at byberry road. i say to the guy in the camaro "you wanna go again so i can try to get a good launch this time." he says "sure". at the same time there was another gn in the southbound lanes heating the hides to run something. i was only paying attention to the gn! me and the camaro go again and i overboost and spin into 2nd. same results. he had me by 4. i wave him over and we pull into the mobil station at comly and the blvd. the guy with the black mustang rolls in with him too. we shot the crap for a while. they were cool guys. the guy with the camaro said he went 12.2 at the track. i think he said he has 4.88's out back. i don't know what the mustang ran. they said they were from levittown. i didn't catch their names. if anyone knows who they are, let them know i'd like to get in touch with them and hang together. we rolled together after that looking for some more fun. i spun around at cottman, and they went straight. i caught a convertible mustang at strahle and the blvd. we went from a roll. i got the jump, but he was starting to pull up to me. he let out and turned off at rhawn st. i went home after that. had a good fun night! anyone know who the other gn that i saw was? later guys.

i have drag radials. it's kinda hard to launch right on the street. you're better at the track with a controlled enviroment. i'm not trying to make excuses. the camaro and cobra got me because they were making more power. next weekend i'm going get some fuel, drop the race chip in, turn up the boost and save face!!!:D :D :D

yeah, thats what Im talking about (next weekend i'm going get some fuel, drop the race chip in, turn up the boost)......I only drive my GN on Fri and Sat nights. I have been running 110 for about a month now...bout 100 miles a weekend. Theres a 86ish 306 Mustang who wants to run me but he wants to go from a roll. I told him heck no cause it would be a N/A v6 against a head/cam/bored and 90 shot of NOS 302 w/4.10 gears and a 5 spd.......his car was messed up this past weekend and had made excuses for the last few before that. Hopefully this weekend will see me kill that Stang. I should have my turbotweak chip in by then and I just got done installing my TCC override switch. May even throw the 2800 l/u in before Saturday night. Just dont feel like doing it everytime I get it on the lift......:D

Joe, the Gn was probably me, i was cruisin on the blvd last night, but i dont remember seeing you, i was testing out a few things and wasnt paying much attention to anything else..... btw, i put new headers and dp on but i cannot seal the damn crossover for my life!!!!!!! any ideas? ive had it off and on about 5 times now and have treid every method of sealing it. any ideas????? also, have you ever done a rear main? mine started leaking pretty bad when it was sitting for the past 6 months or so and i just dont have the time or energy to do it....

try making a gasket out of foil paper. That usually works pretty good. Mario mgttype

I live right in that area. It wasnt me last night though, I am out by Pittsburgh right now at school. Will be coming home in a couple of weeks though. Never seen either one of yous around. I'll have to keep a look out next time i'm home.

Later,
Nick

Sounds like you had a great time.

Does opening the dump raise the boost ? How does it affect the tune of the car ?

JeffW

Why not alky?

Assuming you have a stock style exhaust on your car, opening the dump allows the turbo to spool much faster and can result in increased boost to a certain degree because of the lack of backpressure. It will certainly help you HP wise because you can get the turbo to its sweet spot sooner. On my GN, I usually see about 1-2 psi more boost with all things the same when I open the dump at the strip.

As far as race gas, chip, etc - why not go with alky? I can't believe I waited as long as I did to put alky in the car. I got a progressive kit from Razor (www.alkycontrol.com) and a chip from Eric Marshall and they are by far the absolute best mods I've ever done to the car.

I'm essentially running in street/race tune all the time with it. At low boost, normal street driving, everthing thing else normal, the car is a docile as a sleeping cat. But with the Alky Controller armed and ready (tuned of course), when I mash the go pedal and ramp up the turbo, the Alky kit comes on feeding in the Alky progressively as the boost builds to whatever level it's set at to control knock per the scanmaster. That's when the sleeping cat becomes a roaring, deadly panther - on 93 octane pump gas! No more of the high dollar race gas for me.

I am blown away by the simplicity of the kit but even more by the fact that the system controls knock with a turn of a knob.

You can not beat alky in these cars for functionality and performance in my view.

i think my next mod will be alky. the te60 spools like a banshee with the dump open! i haven't paid attention to the boost gauge yet to see if there's an increase. been watching for kr, and haven't been seeing any except for the transitional stuff.

I usually have my Nittos on when on the street, but when I have the ET Streets on there is no comparison (at the track or on the street!). Something to think about if you really want to smoke these guys on the street.

Great story. Wish I had that kind of action where I'm at.

You must be the guy runnin people on the Blvd and they think it's me! lol Went to a show and someone asked me if I was running them down the blvd. This was a guy in a vette.. Said the GN spanked him. That's the nice thing living in the NE.. the blvd can always be fun toyin with mustangs and other junk :cool:

Jim, was it a newer black Z06? He tried to get me at two consecutive light on the blvd about 7-8 months ago, but had nothin for the GN.........

lol I think it was 2 months ago. I was going to that Longhorn streak house show and the guy came over to my car and was grumbling at me wondering if it was me he tangled with! LOL Hey both you guys need to get your butts to Kirban's September 25 for the open house and MAGNA meet! Were all meeting at the K-Mart on Street road across from the Pep Boys at 8:30:am - 8:45am then all heading up to Kirbans. It's not a car show or anything like that. Just a bunch of GN's in all types of conditions hangin out. So bring them cars out! The more the better! :)

sounds about right! what day is the 25th? i'm usually not an early riser, but will do it for a good time!