Installed my AlkyControl kit!

BDC

BDC Motorsports
Over the past few days I've been doing the installation of the AlkyControl kit that Razor has been custom designing for my car. I own a 2nd generation Mazda Rx7 and as best as I know Razor hasn't done one up to this point. I've got all of the hardware and electrical mounted and installed with the exception of the lines since I'm having them custom-made to certain lengths outside of any normal, already-established kit. I used a JAZ 1gal Junior Dragster fuel cell for the tank. I had a difficult time finding a mounting location due to its size and shape so I wound up using a spot inbetween the taillights in the spare tire well. I also mounted the pump there at its base as low as it'd go. All of the electronics are installed in the dash w/ the controller unit on the left-side of the cockpit gauges just behind the steering wheel (I have no more room; I already have a boost controller and 9 gauges installed in the cockpit!). All in all it took me about 2 full days to do. The kit is terrific and Razor's customer service is also terrific! He answered all of my dumb questions! Thanks, Razor for the great kit!

Here's a link to some of the pictures I've taken of the installation. Let me know what you guys think!

http://bdc.cyberosity.com/v/BDC/AlkyControl/

B

Looks good. Question for Razor, where is the pump turn on knob? As in for how much boost.

Jason

Quiky One said:
Looks good. Question for Razor, where is the pump turn on knob? As in for how much boost.

Jason

Inside the main PAC controller.. there is an access door.. underneath it.. says "Turnon" ;)

Received the fluid lines and associated hardware today. That's the rest of the hardware I need. I installed them (one of them is 13 feet long!) and also installed the M15 nozzle in the inlet adaptor to my throttle body. I had a bit of trouble with it but managed to git 'r done. All I've got left now is doing the vent for the fuel cell. Any ideas? Pictures here:

http://bdc.cyberosity.com/v/BDC/AlkyControl/?g2_page=3

Let me know what you guys think. I'm not just some silly import guy. :)

B

Quiky One said:
Looks good!

Jason

Thanks, Jason. Everything appears to be working so far. I don't smell any methanol fumes in the cockpit of the car, either, but I'll be able to tell well tomorrow. Hopefully the vent is working well.

I took it out tonight for a test spin. I had the dash unit set to '6' and had unchanged the Turn-On and Initial settings. Once I got to about 8-9psi of boost, the wideband went nuts reading 'RICH' and the car was popping like it was over-flooding. Yep, the system works. :)

I also posted up a video of an idle test I performed once I got it leak-free and setup. Here's the link: http://bdc.cyberosity.com/v/BDC/AlkyControl/Videos/MVI_4402.avi.html

B

I know like on the dyno you can hear the meth kick in.. gives the engine a different tone.. like throatier..

Wonder what effect on sound it will have with a rotary.

Brian is gonna be busy.. I put the nozzle to his setup. :D

Razor said:
I know like on the dyno you can hear the meth kick in.. gives the engine a different tone.. like throatier..

Wonder what effect on sound it will have with a rotary.

Brian is gonna be busy.. I put the nozzle to his setup. :D

My laptop took a nosedive! Can't do any tuning today. Going to go purchase a brand-new one this evening.

B

Here's my question for those of you that've done successful tuning with the system -- whenever you guys make changes to spark advance stuff under high load, are you basically running the spark advance the same way you would if you were running high octane race gas, say like 110 or 117 leaded or something? Since I'm using a standalone for my setup, I can fully control all of that on there and whenever I mess with a vehicle that's got different types of fuel for its uses, I usually make separate "maps" that have different spark advance curves for them. I am curious if I should start like this already knowing it will be alright or if I should keep the spark advance setup I've got using pump gas. I'd like to fully take advantage of what alcohol can offer my setup in the event thatI'm replacing 25% of my standard fuel system with meth.

B

Well.. on our motors its a split the difference deal. See 93 timing is 18-20 degree's. 116 timimng is 26-28 degree's. Alky timing is 23-25 degree's typically as a starting point.

Leave your low timing map alone, work on air fuel to straighten it out.. then increase boost.. then add timing. Take your time..

Dont bounce of rev limiters.. well I guess you cant possibly kick out a rod ;)

Razor said:
Well.. on our motors its a split the difference deal. See 93 timing is 18-20 degree's. 116 timimng is 26-28 degree's. Alky timing is 23-25 degree's typically as a starting point.

Leave your low timing map alone, work on air fuel to straighten it out.. then increase boost.. then add timing. Take your time..

Dont bounce of rev limiters.. well I guess you cant possibly kick out a rod ;)

Thanks for the suggestion, Julio. I can do that, but I'm already familiar with that to do spark advance wise if I were using race fuel. The thing I'm curious about is, given a certain ratio of pump gas/methanol what the practical octane-level equivalent is. I'm noit sure if that's an easy or difficult question to answer, but what I'm getting at is if it acts like 108 oc tane, then I know how and what to adjust my spark advance curves to.

B

I'm re-working my website around and moved the gallery over to this link: http://bdc.cyberosity.com/v/ProjectCars/BDC/AlkyControl/ I also added a 5 or so second long test video.

Update: The system is installed but I am having an issue with alcohol getting into the intake during cold starting, when the nose of the car takes a dive, and upon decceleration after high loads. I think the fuel cell is mounted too high with respect to the nozzle so Razor is sending me a check valve to mount prior to the nozzle to help prevent any dribbling. Hopefully some tuning will be underway soon.

B