Installed an oil catch can today

Undewrcover 87T:

i got all the parts (JLT can, US Check valves & needed hose) to do my install just like yours and mount it over on the Pass side fender.

silly question-which way does the "arrow" point to on the clear check valve in your install ?? does it point tothe JLT can or points to the vaccum block line?? sorry for the silly question butwant to make sure I have this correct

'

Undercover87T:
i got all the parts (JLT can, US Check valves & needed hose) to do my install just like you and mount it over on the Pass side fender.

silly question-which way does the "arrow" point to on the clear check valve in your install ?? does it point tothe JLT can or points to the vaccum block line?? sorry for the silly question butwant to make sure I have this correct

Joe
'

i would expect the arrow presents flow direction and if in between the canister and the vacuum I'd expect it points towards the vacuum???? This way vacuum pulls from can but turbo does not push to can??? I've never installed so I'm guessing. Wouldn't install based on my opinion. Frankly the wife would say don't do much of anything based on my opinion.

I took the arrow as the flow direction and have it pointing towards the can. Vacuum is flowing from the vac block, through the check valve to the catch can, then from the can to the PCV.

Blow. If there's any trash in the check valve it won't get in your mouth. Unless you like to suck; then suck away!

I took the arrow as the flow direction and have it pointing towards the can. Vacuum is flowing from the vac block, through the check valve to the catch can, then from the can to the PCV.

can anyone else comment about this flow direction?
I think post #44 is the correct way, (NOT the above quoted comment), but would like others opinions...

Here's some good reading, tells it all.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/366890-4g63t-pcv-system.html

PCV catch can.jpg

I see some cans with a breather on top...wonder if fumes would be an issue? Or if its even a good idea?

I see some cans with a breather on top...wonder if fumes would be an issue? Or if its even a good idea?

I think it would act like a huge vacuum leak like leaving the hose disconnected from the vac block, and it wouldnt suck vapor out of the motor. Pretty sure theyre for venting fumes to atmosphere while containing the oil

I think it would act like a huge vacuum leak like leaving the hose disconnected from the vac block, and it wouldnt suck vapor out of the motor. Pretty sure theyre for venting fumes to atmosphere while containing the oil
Good point...thanks.

Only reason to use a catch can with a breather on it would be to plumb up the valve covers to the can. .

Different application than needed for the pcv..

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

I have already deleted the valve cover to turbo hose due to all the oil it put into the intercooler and throttle body. I discovered oil in the PCV valve and tube as well. I have some US Plastics check valves and am looking into a cheap catch can. This is one I found on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121041888272?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I figured the transparent reservoir will make it easier to know when to empty it. Thoughts?

LOL - my comment is when did standard pneumatic oil mist separators get relabeled as "catch cans"
That's nothing more than a cheap, (probably Horrible Freight) pneumatic oil separator, with two fittings installed.

Does it work?
I'm guessing so - and if it is indeed a pneumatic style oil mist separator - it certainly is good for 30 PSI.
More like 150PSI.

One thing I keep wondering about - and I will read more of that article - is why the route back to the air intake?
To provide more of a "draw" to better evacuate the noxious stuff in the crankcase?

It seems that the PCV system in general does two things:
1 - Improves upon the evacuation of said gasses and yuck
2 - Does it in a way as to be "eco friendly"; i.e. running the trash back through your engine.

I live in an emissions free zone, and have no intention of ever having my car "inspected" for emissions.
And I ain't particularly eco-friendly either, but I don't litter if that makes it better.

So that said, I'd be more interested in methods where a good evacuation of the gasses occurs, but without running whatever junk back through the motor / or intake.
The minute my brain goes there though - I see the dreaded BLM numbers go high in my minds eye.
So I guess what I will have to do is look at what the racers / off road only guys do.
Help me out.

Here's mine that I put on as few months ago after finishing the new motor. It was more of a test and plan/planned on getting a nice billet one but this one works perfect and might leave well enough alone. It's one from home depot modified to bolt on the coil bracket and used an RJC PCV valve with most hoses under the intake....the filter was like $12 or something like that and I already had the PCV valve...
67B6F93A-6491-4DB9-8808-4785E5A2DB98-60355-00008072C409229F.jpg

25A31900-9241-4678-B5CD-10A8FE325EEE-60355-00008072BD3C3E8D.jpg

Yes, I know this thread is very old, but I just installed a new Moroso air-oil separator today and I'm not sure about the direction of the US Platstic pvc check valve. I see where some have mentioned that the arrow should point to the can and others have said it should point toward the intake. Which is it guys? Thanks