Install gaskets dry or ?

DCVING 6

Doing oil pan, valve covers, timing cover, and water pump gaskets. Should I install them all dry or use some rite stuff too?

I only use high tack on everything you listed except valve covers, those I use a thin smear of Right stuff.

this is what has worked for me:

oil pan gasket dry w/ felpro (blue rubber material) gasket = no leaks
valve cover gaskets dry w/ felpro (blue rubber material) gaskets = no leaks
timing cover gasket w/ permatex silicone on gasket & bolt threads = no leaks
water pump gasket w/ permatex silicone on gasket & bolt threads = no leaks

Install gaskets dry or...

I keep hearing the term Rite Stuff? Am I saying that right? Have wrenched for a long time in Mi. ,I have never heard of it. Is this a permatex product?
Skidman.

I keep hearing the term Rite Stuff? Am I saying that right? Have wrenched for a long time in Mi. ,I have never heard of it. Is this a permatex product?
Skidman.

Yes. Comes in caulking gun tube style & I read it can come in a pressurized can but never seen it like that. OEM approved & works Very Well for sealing intakes etc.

Yes. Comes in caulking gun tube style & I read it can come in a pressurized can but never seen it like that. OEM approved & works Very Well for sealing intakes etc.

If you are doing a whole engine, get a big tube. I bought the pressurized can and I came up a little short, damn those leaky valve covers;)

The only thing I can offer you is a simple little trick I was tought as a kid. Glue the gasket to the water pump and put grease on the side that goes to the timing cover. This will allow it to seal and if you have to take it off again it won't stick to the cover so you wont have to do any scraping before you put another back on.

part of it can depend on what gaskets you use....I run the Cometic front cover gasket, initially only because it allowed me to get the proper camshaft endplay, but now I'm interested in them because of the durability and ease of install. They are thin enough that a small amount of silicon will hold it in place to make sure you get it seated properly.

I'd only use gasket maker or sealant if it goes into a water jacket or oil passage, or you are mating several surfaces, like where the oil pan, front cover, and block all meet.