Input drum thrust washer?

1985BuickGN

Need a little help please. I am doing my first rebuild and have a question. I am using Bruce's Low/Reverse center support with the roller bearing assembly in place of the plastic thrust washer. When I assemble this against the input drum do I remove the black plastic thrust washer on the input drum or leave it in?

Thanks for any help.:)

Ok, I think I figured it out. Duh. :biggrin: When I assembled the "rear section" to check end-play I discovered that leaving the plastic washer in would not let the snap ring go into place and with it out the snap ring when in. I have about .020 worth of end play between the selective washer and the snap ring, is this too much or acceptable for a stock horsepower set-up? If not, does anyone know where I can get the thicker washers and a spring for the throttle lever and bracket assembly?

The bearing should replace the black plastic washer.

Also, the bearing is usually thicker than the washer so material
needs to be removed from
one or both components to compensate for the difference.

Also, the bearing is usually thicker than the washer so material
needs to be removed from
one or both components to compensate for the difference.

Not the case here, there is defenitely a .020" gap between the washer and the snap ring. Could I leave in the black plastic washer and then machine down the selective washer to get the correct clearance? Thanks for the reply.

You can get selective washers in different thickness ,to allow the correct end play on that part of the trans. from GM ,or AXIOM or most any good trans. parts supplier. You need a CK Performance rebuild manual for the correct clearence when you check the end play with you dial indicator. You can obtain these numbers from and Haynes manual you can get at most any parts store also.

Yep, I have the CK manual and saw the color codes for the different washers. It doesn't explain how critical this clearance is for low to high HP applications. I was just wondering if anyone knew, or should it be set at .002-.004 regardless of HP? I guess I will have to wait till tomorrow to call around and find the washers. Thanks.

Yep, I have the CK manual and saw the color codes for the different washers. It doesn't explain how critical this clearance is for low to high HP applications. I was just wondering if anyone knew, or should it be set at .002-.004 regardless of HP? I guess I will have to wait till tomorrow to call around and find the washers. Thanks.

Set it up according to the specs. Dont scrimp now. The washer thats in there is almost always to thin. .020 is too much.