Innercooler ?'s

LM1999

At what point does the stock IC need to be upgraded?
All things equal, I think a stock turbo with alky is fine with the stock IC (91 octane 23-25 psi). If you were to step-up the turbo to a ta49 or te44 with alky, is the stock IC a problem? Would a Dutt neck upgrade be enough as well a ported stock downpipe elbow?
Thanks,
Leo

If you have the ability to install a Dutt neck. I think it would even be a worthwhile mod on a stock setup. Anything that reduces restriction of the air flow is going to help. If you are at 23-25lbs you will have to re-tune the wastegate because you will see an increase in boost due to the higher flow rate. Jon Hanson

I think almost any car can benefit from a dutt neck, and a dutt neck will take you far with alky...Farther than most think.

I know a car went 132 in the 1/4 with a stock ic

Be amazed how far you can take the stock IC

Razor, could you elaborate on 132mph car. Stock IC or stock IC with dutt neck? big turbo? large psi? Multi nozzle alky system. Eitherway very impressive.

Razor, could you elaborate on 132mph car. Stock IC or stock IC with dutt neck? big turbo? large psi? Multi nozzle alky system. Eitherway very impressive.

That was Rob Crissafulli's TTA in the NMCA stock class. Race Fuel, bigger turbo. Class rules dictated stock ic at the time.

The only issue with a stock ic used in a drag race application is simply pressure drop across it's core. Unless you have to hot lap the car and deal with heat soak.. No issues

Take it a step further and add an Alky kit and temperature is ko longer an issue.

Hth

It's true you can go amazingly fast with a stock ic, especially with alky or race gas. However, it is also true that a good front mount will add 50-75 hp over a stock ic. I put mine on when I was running 13.2-13.3 with a te34 turbo (smaller than a ta49) and dropped to 12.7's, both with 93 octane and no alky. Four other friends went from stock location (some stock, some big neck, one a spearco) and all picked up .4-.6 sec starting between 13.3 (me) to 11.7 (Mike Hatley; dropped to 11.24). Mine is a CAS V2, Mike's was a Precision, at least one was a Cotton - you get the idea. Yes, if it is hot where you live and you drive on the street you will need to upgrade the cooling system some, but it is always there and never needs refilling :). And you can add alky too, if you want more.

I went a best of 11.23 on a dutt neck, and couldnt get the boost over 26-27 psi. Ive switched to a BA front mount in hopes of a 10 sec. time slip. Also a fiberglass front bumper.

On a stock motored 11 sec. alky car I switched from a dutt neck to a precision FM and gained NOTHING.

This is good to know. I know there are hundreds of combinations out there, but for a mild bolt on motor with alky, the cooling affect of methanol compensates for the stock location. Without alky or on a higher boost car or in hot climates, a front mount would be superior?

This is good to know. I know there are hundreds of combinations out there, but for a mild bolt on motor with alky, the cooling affect of methanol compensates for the stock location. Without alky or on a higher boost car or in hot climates, a front mount would be superior?

FM= issues with cooling system, issues with AC condenser, Some cars issue with front end clearance as the pipes go under the core support.

So Razor, other than accessibility, is there any drawback to running methanol injection?

So Razor, other than accessibility, is there any drawback to running methanol injection?

Sure.. its one more thing to deal with on the car. I mean if you ran lower boost all the time its a non-issue. If you have the rod cranked in and your at 25 PSI + boost.. then you need to be on top of everything.

Find a source for methanol is another issue. But so would be finding a source for racing fuel. That is to run higher boost.

You could technically run the system even on washer fluid with a smaller nozzle and a few extra psi over stock. That would be fine.. but dont get greedy with the squeeze. Dont expect miracles with a 2-3 extra psi.

Honestly, I think the pros far outweigh the cons. I don't have any personal experience here but, a full tank of 100 + octane gas vs. 91 or 94 octane and methanol injection seems a lot easier to deal with on a street car. The frequency of filling the methanol tank and being able to fill-up gas anywhere makes more sense.

Sure.. its one more thing to deal with on the car. I mean if you ran lower boost all the time its a non-issue. If you have the rod cranked in and your at 25 PSI + boost.. then you need to be on top of everything.

Find a source for methanol is another issue. But so would be finding a source for racing fuel. That is to run higher boost.

You could technically run the system even on washer fluid with a smaller nozzle and a few extra psi over stock. That would be fine.. but dont get greedy with the squeeze. Dont expect miracles with a 2-3 extra psi.

When I got my kit way back when I ran it on washer fluid for a while and had a blast, would do it again if I had a mild car that I wasn't going to push real hard.

Honestly, I think the pros far outweigh the cons. I don't have any personal experience here but, a full tank of 100 + octane gas vs. 91 or 94 octane and methanol injection seems a lot easier to deal with on a street car. The frequency of filling the methanol tank and being able to fill-up gas anywhere makes more sense.

This is the E85 arguement. Meaning you need to have 100 available to you. And.. you cant travel out of the area cause you wont find anymore. Here locally its harder to find 100 unleaded than it is to find methanol. Not to mention its 7.00 per gallon. So a fillup is 100+ bucks, requires taking car to gas station, and hopefully they have it when you get there. Doesnt take many fillups to offset the cost of a meth system. Methanol is 4-7 per gallon. Some places cheaper, some higher. Driving daily you'll go through 1 gallon per fillup.

Who is to say 100 will get you to your boost/timing goals? And if you have any other gasoline in the tank.. the 100 will be diluted down. So topping off with 100 is not 100. 1 gallon of 91 and 1 gallon of 100 = 95 octane

Lastly.. with 100.. your burning when the motor is running. With methanol.. you only burn it when your racing it.. not simply idling or driving it around.

Pro's and cons to every single thing we do. ;)

Personally.. after having a motor run on meth injection for so many years.. I wouldnt have it any other way. Hi-octane fuel is expensive and cuts into my "mods" and tires budget. ;)