Injector size

JINXY

are 42 1\2 lb injectors to small if i one day hope to have a high 10 sec. car. i want to avoid having to buy them twice. i just picked up the 42 1\2's but havent installed them yet. i also got the matching chip from jaysgn.com. should i go bigger?
Thanks

just to be on the safe side id go with the 55s or the 60s, and are you spraying alky for even more fuel or not? Id havent heard nothing but good things about the 60s as far as idle and it would give you room to grow. Others with more experience will probably chime in though to give you a better idea

thanks i do plan on gong with alky but wanted to do the down pipe and exhaust first. if i send back the injectors for 60's should i send back the chip as well?

ill start from the beginning. just bought a stock 87 gn 43,000 orig. miles. impeckable condition. i wanted to take it to the next level so read alot and asked for advice. spoke to jay at jaysgn.com and bought this. red armstrong fuel pump, new gasket kit (needed it but thats another story), adjustable fuel regulator, 160 thermostat, new wastegate hose (old one was dryrot), hotwire kit, intercooler hose set (old ones were bs), 42 1/2 lb 009 injectors and a matching multi-chip. Nothing has been installed yet. For one the guy acts like he's doin me a favor by workin on my car and keeps puttin me off. But i heard he was goo so what the hell, ill wait. jaysgn says my next step would be the TH down pipe and exhaust kit. Then champion heads, cams and a stall converter. Seems like alot of people on this sit swear by new tires and an alky kit before all this. Am i on the rite track or should i back up a bit and grab the alky and tires? My overall goal is to have a high 10 to low 11 sec. street car. something that i can drive all day as a daily driver if i wanted to, but could also go down to the track and rip it up. And if its even possible something that could be highway driven at 100 or more with out blowing up. Am i dreaming or is this car possible? So then again back to my question, knowing what im looking for out of my car, did i go to small with my injector choice? I just need some input other then the guy whos takein my money for the parts and the other guy whos takein my money to put them on. Anyway sorry to go on forever but all i can frickin think about is this dam car, I dream about it. Wife already hates it. Thanks for everyones help.
Bob (Clearwater Fl.)

ill start from the beginning. just bought a stock 87 gn 43,000 orig. miles. impeckable condition. i wanted to take it to the next level so read alot and asked for advice. spoke to jay at jaysgn.com and bought this. red armstrong fuel pump, new gasket kit (needed it but thats another story), adjustable fuel regulator, 160 thermostat, new wastegate hose (old one was dryrot), hotwire kit, intercooler hose set (old ones were bs), 42 1/2 lb 009 injectors and a matching multi-chip. Nothing has been installed yet. For one the guy acts like he's doin me a favor by workin on my car and keeps puttin me off. But i heard he was goo so what the hell, ill wait. jaysgn says my next step would be the TH down pipe and exhaust kit. Then champion heads, cams and a stall converter. Seems like alot of people on this sit swear by new tires and an alky kit before all this. Am i on the rite track or should i back up a bit and grab the alky and tires? My overall goal is to have a high 10 to low 11 sec. street car. something that i can drive all day as a daily driver if i wanted to, but could also go down to the track and rip it up. And if its even possible something that could be highway driven at 100 or more with out blowing up. Am i dreaming or is this car possible? So then again back to my question, knowing what im looking for out of my car, did i go to small with my injector choice? I just need some input other then the guy whos takein my money for the parts and the other guy whos takein my money to put them on. Anyway sorry to go on forever but all i can frickin think about is this dam car, I dream about it. Wife already hates it. Thanks for everyones help.
Bob (Clearwater Fl.)

Not trying to get into your business, so please don't take this the wrong way. :cool:
Now that you have a goal (very doable), there is one question left:
What is your budget? :eek:

It may be best for you is to contact one of the experts and have them do the complete build/tune. I would contact: Cal Hartline, Jack Cotton, Bill Anderson, etc etc ..... I think CH is located in your area, and am sure one of the experts will chime in. Good luck with the car! :cool:

Welcome to the darkside!

+1- 60s & a Turbotweak chip are a much better choice.

AFPR, t-stat, FP w/ hotwire, hoses- all good, as would be a cone filter and cat back exhaust.

You need to get a scantool- Scanmaster/ Power logger/ DirectScan/ Turbolink are the most popular- before you go any further. Gotta know what's going inside the engine to get the most out of it, right? A wideband in addition would be a great investment also.

"10s" is a nice round number to throw around- if you really want to get into the 10s, you're either gonna have to throw more cubic dollars at the car, or run the stock engine on the ragged edge. Learn to tune, and get to know your car. Learn how to launch it without shredding the tires.

As the stock GN is very capable of destroying tires at will, a good set of tires is not a bad idea. Alky is hands down one of the best bang for the buck bolt-ons you can get, as it's completely friendly with a stock GN or a modded monster.

HTH

Go buy the wife a Caddy. Better yet, take her to a Buick event, and let her race a few times....pretty soon, you'll end up like Shane, with a fleet of Buicks:eek:

Wanting to go fast is a whole lot more than just turning up the boost and hanging on...

Thanks all. Well first off BUDGET. I really dont have a budget per say. I mean I could'nt go out right this second and spend $30,000. But I figure I could afford about $1000 a month or so. Figure it will be a good hobby/investment. So I guess I should definately try and return my injectors and chip for 60's and a multi-chip to match. Then should I continue on my current direction -Downpipe, Exhaust. Then heads, cams and a stall converter. Then maybe some alky and tires? Or would the alky and tires be best to grab first?

Ok sorry had to add. Just got off the phone with Jay from Jaysgn.com. I got all the parts from him. He said he had no problem exchangeing them. he then said if I did get the 60's that I would really need a bigger turbo, front mount intercooler and some other stuff to handle the bigger injectors. Which if I had that much to spend at one time, great, But:frown: I dont. Although it might suck to hve to buy new injectors and chip again later. It would probably be my best bet. Anyone agree?

The car will run just fine with 60's as long as your chip is programmed for your combo. Turbo Tweak has the programming figured out & he gives you 1 free reprgram as your combo. grows.

I run the 60's in 1 of my Buick's. The car is stock with a few mild bolt on's. It runs great & idles smoother than any injector i've ever run.

thanks ill have to give the ones i have a try. i dont think he'll take em back for a cash credit. but im sure ill be buying again 1 day just hopefully not real soon.

Eric told me 009s and alky will take you low 11s. That is what I have, monitor things closely and you will be fine.

OK, I hink I might have this figured out. I spent about 45 mins. on the phone today with julio from alkycontrol and he pretty much schooled me on the turbo buick. Dude knows what he's talkin about and he's direct and to the point, no BS. I like that. He also suggested 60's and a turbotweak chip from eric. I got the guy from jay's to swap me out the 42 1/2's for the 60's. And im gonna swap out the multi-chip for a scanmaster. SOUND GOOD SO FAR? ANYONE? Then Im going to get the turbotweak chip and turn her over to julio to hook up the alky. So this is all what will be done to the car. (starting stock original 87 GN 43,000 orig. miles) Im replaceing the intercooler hoses, wastegate hose, 160 degree thermostat, red armstrong fuel pump, adj. fuel pump regulator, hotwire kit, 60 lb injectors, turbotweak alky chip, Terry Houston 3" downpipe, Terry Houston 2 1/2" exhaust kit with the magnaflow mufflers, alky kit from julio and a scanmaster to check it all out. Does this sound like a good beginning recipe? Thank you everyone for all you help. Im still a newbie but I tell ya what all this stuff was chinese to me a month ago. So atleast I know Im progressing.

Bob Leclaire (JINXY)

Your on the right path to a great recipe. Add a TA-49 turbo & a Duttweiler neck to your intercooler in the future & enjoy your car. It will be a blast on the street.