Injector and Turbo?

V8KILLR

2speed 1day fast & faster
I first put this up in the General Turbo Buick Tech, but think it maybe better here. I was thinking about going to a bigger turbo. I have some different ones in mind. The think is, I’m also thinking about going to the TA Al block some day. When I go to the TA block, I’d like to go to an 88. However, while the car has the stock block in it I may go to a 72. Is there a good set of injectors that works well for both the 72 and the 88 turbo, so I only have to buy one more set of injectors?

Thanks,
Jason

With a 72 turbo on a stock block I would think 83# or 84# injectors would be plenty, but most guys that are running an 88 turbo with a Stage II motor are using the 160# injectors and I doubt you'd want to use those with a stock block and 72 turbo.... Maybe you could use the 95# injectors with both and be safe, but IMO you'd be better off playing around with what you have now and waiting to spend all the money on big turbos and injectors when you have the TA block.... Just my opinion, but I'm not some kind of guru so take it for what's worth :)

Thanks 86brick,
WOW that is a lot of injector, 160 lbs on the 88. Why is it such a big jump from 72 to 88 turbos. I mean hell, 160 are huge!!!!!!!

Thanks again,
Jason

T72 83Lbs injectors. If you went with a PT88 i would think you would want a little more injector. IMO

Originally posted by njturbo
T72 83Lbs injectors. If you went with a PT88 i would think you would want a little more injector. IMO
I run a 76 with 96# injectors. If I went to an 88 I don't think it would be enough injector. When selecting your turbo you have to keep your goals in mind. Until my goals drop below 9.5's I'll stick with my setup.

Originally posted by TurboDiverArt
I run a 76 with 96# injectors. If I went to an 88 I don't think it would be enough injector. When selecting your turbo you have to keep your goals in mind. Until my goals drop below 9.5's I'll stick with my setup.

Very close to me, i will be running 83Lbs and a 76.

Originally posted by V8KILLR
Thanks 86brick,
WOW that is a lot of injector, 160 lbs on the 88. Why is it such a big jump from 72 to 88 turbos. I mean hell, 160 are huge!!!!!!!

Thanks again,
Jason
You might not need 160's depending on what your goals are. If low 9's or high 8's are your goals then 160's are the way to go. If you want mid 9's you could probably go with 120's. Also, depending on what your goals are you can select a turbo. If you want high 9's then a 76 is probably fine and would have better spool up. If you want faster than mid 9's then you should bump up to a bigger turbo. One thing you have to remember is that with a stage motor you have an additional .7 liters to fill so you need more injector at the same boost level. more volume is making it into the cylinder.

Very close to me, i will be running 83Lbs and a 76.
I don't know much about the 83's, smarter people than me could do the math. I'd imagine with a stage block and 83's you'd probably be pushing them to go 9.8's. I'd think that is probably about the limit unless you really do some killer suspension and lightening work and cut really low short times. I think I could probably ask Newman about it, he knows all those formulas. He's just such a PITA to get in touch with some times.

You might not need 160's depending on what your goals are. If low 9's or high 8's are your goals then 160's are the way to go. If you want mid 9's you could probably go with 120's. .

Who makes 120's Art???

I think I could probably ask Newman about it, he knows all those formulas. He's just such a PITA to get in touch with some times.

>>> Artie,
Speaking of him have you talked to Newman lately? Wonder how his car is coming along, I know he wants to debut it when Etown opens in a couple of months. If you talk to him tell em to gimme a yell will ya.

Peace Out.

Art,

FYI

We ran 83's in the FAST car all the way down to 8.80's using a seq. DFI, it was 3400 at the time and OUT of fuel.
In the SLOW car (which is the only one we presently have that is running) is 3640# runs 9.30's at 152, has 95's in it with a good bit to spare, they are the same price and a decent tuner can make them idle smooth as silk.
Bill Anderson

Thanks for all the help from everyone. Is there any bottom line answer to my question? Should I go with 95 or 120? What is going to happen if I go too big? A good tuner can make it work? If so, why not go 120 or 160, even on a 72 turbo?

Thanks,
Jason

Patrick from PTE runs 84LBS with a PT74. Therfore if you are running a 72 i would go with 83LBS injectors. You can never over fuel a Buick, these i beleive would be more than enough fuel for your Goal. Keep in mind convertor plays a big part in this also. Just my 2 cents. :) :)

Originally posted by ChrisCairns
Who makes 120's Art???
I'm not sure. I remember reading that there was an option between 96 and 160. Maybe it was 125's? Have to do a search, I know I read it on this board.

Originally posted by Buicksx2
>>> Artie,
Speaking of him have you talked to Newman lately? Wonder how his car is coming along, I know he wants to debut it when Etown opens in a couple of months. If you talk to him tell em to gimme a yell will ya.

Peace Out.
I haven't spoken to him lately. He's never on-line cause it's sick and tired of his slow dial-up Internet connection and too cheap to go with Cable, DSL or Satellite connection. You'd think with that money tree he has growing in the backyard he'd just pick some more! I can't figure that guy out sometimes. You'd think with the cushy postal job he has with all the year of service he'd have more time to hank out. He just always seems to be busy!

Art,

FYI

We ran 83's in the FAST car all the way down to 8.80's using a seq. DFI, it was 3400 at the time and OUT of fuel.
In the SLOW car (which is the only one we presently have that is running) is 3640# runs 9.30's at 152, has 95's in it with a good bit to spare, they are the same price and a decent tuner can make them idle smooth as silk.
Bill Anderson
WOW, I never would have thought you could twist those injectors that hard without adding an additionl one to the mix! I think I'd still go bigger just to be on the safe side.

I'm not sure. I remember reading that there was an option between 96 and 160. Maybe it was 125's? Have to do a search, I know I read it on this board.

At one time I also thought you could get them. And I'm sure I read it here.

I had hopes you could shed some light.....lol.

I'm starting to think there AREN'T any injectors between 96's and 160's.

Does anyone know for sure???

Originally posted by ChrisCairns
At one time I also thought you could get them. And I'm sure I read it here.

I had hopes you could shed some light.....lol.

I'm starting to think there AREN'T any injectors between 96's and 160's.

Does anyone know for sure???
I'd hope that there is..... Those 160's flow a lot of fuel. It would put me in the poor house having to drive the car 25 miles each way to the track with those funnels flowing!! I'll do a search of this board to see if I can find anything.

P.S. You know me, I never shed light on anything..... :cool:

If you can't go too big, why not go for the 160 and be done with it?

Jason

Originally posted by V8KILLR
If you can't go too big, why not go for the 160 and be done with it?

Jason
A couple of things. It's easier to make a smaller injector idle smoother. If you really know what you are doing it certainly can be done. For a guy like me, I'm lucky to just keep the car idling......:cool:

You also use more fuel. For a street car that's a factor. I go through a good quarter tank of fuel getting to the track, racing then getting home. Going to bigger injectors would only make it worse. I guess just like a good tuner being able to get good idle quality, a good tuner could probably get better gas mileage.

I'm not an injector expert but I'd think you would get better atomization with a longer sustained burst vs. a shorter squirt (that's a technical term). Just a guess on my part so don't hold me to it. I'm sure other much smarter people than me can comment about this.