Ingenious idea on steering column?

BIGJOE

hey guys just fiannly get the sterring column all back together and just gotta compress the lock plate on, but i dont have a depresser anyone have any ways they did it without that tool, i gotta lot of tools shoot me your idea if you have one. thanks

If you can find a scrap of scrap metal you can bend it in a "U" shape, drill a hole in it and use the steering wheel nut to pull it down.

If you have a second person to help you can push like hell and have have them put the snap clip down at the same time.

If you don't have help, do a google search for every cuss word you can find (and memorize them), find a socket that will slip over the shaft but tight enough to push the snap ring down, figure out a way to extend it with a bundled towel taped on the end.....

Take a few quick breaths to saturate the blood stream with oxygen... push like hell on the plate then bonk your pusher arrangement with your head. when that didn't work, try again until your fingers get tired. After a few more attempts when they are still tired go inside and drink a beer or three.

Then walk back outside and it'll go right on the first time without even getting tired. (sorta like removing the PS valve cover)

hahahahah thanks earl, i didnt even think about using a peice of scrap metal and a steering wheel bolt appreciate that. and i already mashed the shit out of my fingers trying to push it down by myself lol

if you look up the tool to install that plate that strap is basically what it is.

....now that I think about it, I think the fast food parts stores might have one if their 'loan a tool' program. But that's assuming you don't want to try the head bonking method :)

spend the $10 and get the tool... you won't use it often, but when you do it will be the best $10 you've ever spent on a tool.

Get the tool. I had to replace the ignition about three months ago and with the proper tools(puller and compressor) it took me a total of 30 minutes. It was also my first time doing it. So yes, get the tool and save some time and effort

Life is so much easier with the right tools.

and who doesn't want to have a large selection of the right tools?
one of the best purchases i've ever made in my adult life was a $700 mechanics starter tool set from Sears.. i got about a hundred different oddball tools- including the lock plate tool that is needed in this thread- and have gotten my money's worth out of that set a dozen times over since getting it..

I tore my whole car down with a sears compressor and complimentory tools, and for hand tools I think I bought one of those sets on sale for 100 bucks. A pair of vise grips, an adjustable wrench and a bfh is all you need:D THe right tools for a steering column tear down are worth their weight in gold when you need them though