In-cab alcohol pressure gauge?

Syclone0044

Full Street Trim
I've got an Autometer Z-Series electronic fuel pressure gauge, I was going to install it like normal to my fuel rail when it occured to me that my alcohol pressure would be more important. Anyone doing this? I'd like to just tap into my SMC alcohol line and watch the pressure in-cab but I don't know if it is safe or if there is some risk from using 100% methanol with the kit. This sounds like it would be a pretty basic procedure. Thanks.

i wouldn't see any problem. the sending unit is probably made to handle alochol, since a lot of gas has 10% ethanol in it. i'c call autometer first just since there so expensive.

Buzzer sounding..eehhhhhhhhhhhh..warning warning..

The sender IS NOT COMPATIBLE with alcohol fuels. Per, not me, but Autometer. Actually all of Autometer's senders are not alcohol compatible.

I found an electric 100 PSI sender, but it was pricey..

HTH

I run an in-car guage so I can see the pressure sweep up as the boost does. :D

Originally posted by Razor
I run an in-car guage so I can see the pressure sweep up as the boost does. :D
What gauge are you using exactly? Also, how quick does the pressure go from 0 to operating PSI?

I use an older autometer 100 PSI oil pressure guage with the alky compatible sender. The senders are pretty much the same resistance wise, as are the guages. On my car I run 80-90 PSI on twin m10's. How fast..as fast as the pressure rises. Analog guage.

The difference is usually where the zero lines up. Whereas the alky sender is 240 ohm and the autometer is 200 ohm for zero alignment. I simply add a resistor across the terminals to get the guage zero'd and 0 hms = 100 PSI. With a little research, an exact guage can be found..companies like autoguage, stewart warner, nordskog, cyberdyne, etc... all make electric pressure guages. I'm working on a cheaper digital one..

I also use an oil pressure gauge. I found a cheapo 1 1/4" so that I can put it about anywhere.

gary

65.00 for the sender.

Where?.. Here

:)

The diaphram has to be alcohol compatible. This is the issue. Not that it reads pressure. This is a 100 PSI sender.

HTH

Just like the Shurflo pump that says no flammable fluids, the oil puressure sender may last a very long time with alky.

May not too. ;)

Doubt they test them for that liquid when building oil pressure gauges.

You guys would be doing the testing so you would need to check the sender VERY often should you attempt to do it.

Here you have the central issue. The seals have to be alcohol compatible.

Find any part on the Shurflo thats not alcohol compatible in the pressure area. Where fluid travels through.. guess what you wont find any incompatability. Viton, Plastics, Santoprene, etc.. This is why they work.

The diaphram has rubber seals inside the sender. Exposed to alcohol, will dry out and rot. Once it rots..who knows what happens.

I'll give you a hint of two places that carry the alcohol compatible diaphram.. look at aviation or me...

Cheers.. I dont play with flammable stuff. Unless i'm absolutely sure. Guess why Autometer doesnt have an alcohol compatible sender? Theyre new guages are ok with 10% concentrations. Not straight like a lot of us guys run.

HTH

can I use a fuel pressure gauge if im just running water and not alky. I want to use a mechnical guage and not a electric gauge. Will a 100psi fuel pressure gague worked tapped into my water feed line?

Chris

Yes..Actually get a liquid filled one so its smoother due to the dampening.

Water by itself.. ewww... :D

There are plenty of "Plastics" that are not alcohol and methanol compatible.

Those rubber seals may last years with denatured alky.

May not, somebody has to do the testing....

Omega has gauges and senders that will work with alky. also.

Originally posted by salvageV6

May not, somebody has to do the testing....

Hehe .. you first :)

My take is I call the manufacturer and ask the question to theyre technical services dept. Can I use this with the bad one..Methanol? If I get a thumbs up..then its a good to go. First place I called was autometer..spoke to two representatives..and inquired about gasohol, methanol mixes, etc. Both reps said no way. Rubber/diaphrams in the autometer pieces will not stand up to methanol. Yes to oil and gasoline.

What can I say..I try and take calculated risks.. but when the manufacturer says no way..its a whole other story. To which I wont push. Let alone the senders from autometer for fuel are now like 120.00 dollars..thats a lot of bread to screw up, when you can get something that will work for 65.00.

I too called Shurflo and got a thumbs up on alcohol with the pump. So the plastics in this particular case, are a good to go.

Why read pressure..dunno. The only advantage I can see is if you make small adjustments you can see a differnce in pressure. So taking out or adding pressure can be viewed with a guage. But there are simpler ways to go about doing this. A simple voltmeter given a controller works the same. Whereas if you reduce voltage to the pump, you will see less pressure. So if 8.7 volts to the pump is too much, bring the voltage down to 8.25 for example and retry watching knock retard, EGT's, and O2's. Until a little knock is seen then up the voltage till it goes away..bada bing..you are dialed in ;)

Sometimes some guages can be a novelty..I have one.. do I really use or look at it while going down the track... nope. I do look at KR tho..like a hawk.

I will make an interface to have it used with the MAT input for our cars..kinda like a boost sensing harness of sorts..Jan-Feb next year.

Peace guys..

Julio

BTW..Chris ..you have mail :)

If I use a sureflo pump for alcohol injection, will my car burst into flames? :rolleyes:

A couple guys on this forum, who don't use a sureflo, would like you to think so. HOGWASH!!!! Hundreds of Diy kit users use the Sureflo pump. I got 100,000 miles and 4 years on mine. Guess what.........NO EXPLOSIONS..........AMAZING!!! :D

only reason i want this gauge is so that i know the system is functioning like its supposed to.

on a side note: can you use autometer oil sender with gasoline? my fuel sender crapped out and i put an oil sender in its place. seems to be working fine.

Heres a 200 dollar tip for ya,

If your autometer guage is the half sweep version, there is a product recall for those. Contact Autometer for the recall, you send them your old guage, they send you a brand new full sweep 200.00 fuel pressure guage... for the price of "FREE".

HTH

If unsure of the application of a product, best place to always call is their engineering dept. That way it stands a chance to be ok.

Merry Christmas,

Julio

nice find razor! i checked it out, looks like the recall applies! time to send off for my blinging fullsweep gauge.:D