Impressions of 6262 and Orange Stripe Converter

XLR8

Lost at Altitude
I finally made it to the track with my new 6262 journal bearing turbo with the .63 housing. I have an Orange stripe 12" converter and was able to build boost (10#) slowly at the line - much slower than my old TE44. I was still able to cut mid 1.6 60' times and think by lowing fuel in first gear may be able to improve the 60'. My first pass was an 11.825 @ 104.61 - I noticed 3.5 KR and O2's at 750 at about the 1000' mark so coasted through the traps (My 1/8th MPH was 94.02). I still have A LOT of tuning to do but the car runs as strong now on the turbo only as it did with a TE44 and a 75 shot of NOS.
Please keep in mind that my track is at 5800' and the barometer was 23.90. I think the converter would be fine if I was at sea level and is tolerable at altitude.

Nice! I see low 11's in your future if you got out of it at the 1000' mark, running 11.8x @ 104mph!!

What's the rest of your combo?

I'm still hoping to get my DBB 6262 out this summer. Unfortately it came apart on me (lack of pre-turbo oil filtering), and I have to re-bearing the motor....

Even at altitude you should be trapping much higher mph than 104. What was converter slip % at the trap

His trap speed was down because he let out of the gas at the 1000' mark, and coasted through.

I need to update my signature as I have champion irons and a 206 flat tappet cam.
I have a 12" converter because that was what I had from years ago with the TE44 and it worked well with that.
I was running about 23# of boost as that is as low as I can get it. I guess I need to do some additional porting on the WG hole.
On the one full pass I made - running very rich - my MPH went from 91.49 at the 1/8th to 113.93 at the 1/4. Like I said I have a lot of tuning to do as I think I should be able to get 117 - 118 MPH out of it. That may not seem fast to some but come up here to the mountain and see the difference the altitude makes.

I need to update my signature as I have champion irons and a 206 flat tappet cam.
I have a 12" converter because that was what I had from years ago with the TE44 and it worked well with that.
I was running about 23# of boost as that is as low as I can get it. I guess I need to do some additional porting on the WG hole.
On the one full pass I made - running very rich - my MPH went from 91.49 at the 1/8th to 113.93 at the 1/4. Like I said I have a lot of tuning to do as I think I should be able to get 117 - 118 MPH out of it. That may not seem fast to some but come up here to the mountain and see the difference the altitude makes.

Did you port the wastegate hole at all before you installed the turbo?

I used to have that conv. Worked great with my stk turbo. When I did the tranny I replaced with a 9X11. The stripe conv was about shot after 20k miles. I would upgrade IMHO. Is that one of the GSCA conv? They came from Transcrafters in Albany,GA. (in the early 90's). I knew a guy there and I bought mine for $100 or $125. I know other vendors sell some by the same name but I don't know where they source them from.
Conv tech has come a long way in the last few years and a small diam conv would work wonders on building boost.:cool:

Did you port the wastegate hole at all before you installed the turbo?

Sorry - I was out of town. Yes I ported the WG hole before install.

If I recall the converter came from Fulll Throttle. (Modern Musclecar at the time)
I know I need a new converter but it is not in the budget until I find a new job - my company went out of business 6/30/09.

Yep, you guys got hit hard and I doubt it's over yet. If you have a degree you might be able to teach for now. Just a thought. Good luck.