I'm confused !

badbuford

street racer
i just bought a 86 t-type a week or two ago it hadn't been driven in two years so i did the normal maintnence and what not and everything was fine two days ago i replaced the water pump and since then the car has run crappy the stock tach says the rpms are about 1500 rpms more then it sounds like and it's now cruising at 3500 to 4000 rpms (so it says) and as soon as i get on it i'm at 6000 before it can build any boost past 5lbs the tranny isn't slipping so i'm really kinda lost any help would be appreciated

did you bump the MAF or not get it sealed back up making it suck air after the MAF???

Stock tach BLOWS! Its as accurate as a blindmans sight. (maybe a lil better) But the boost and tach are junk on the cars.

What chip? What mods?

Do you have a scantool? Boost gauge? Aftermarket Tach?

If you dont have a scantool, get one before anything! That will also tell you rpm when you want to.

-Adam

jurassic five 7 said:
Stock tach BLOWS! Its as accurate as a blindmans sight. (maybe a lil better) But the boost and tach are junk on the cars.

What chip? What mods?

Do you have a scantool? Boost gauge? Aftermarket Tach?

If you dont have a scantool, get one before anything! That will also tell you rpm when you want to.

-Adam

I agree with this quote. Without a scantool you are flying blind. If you are ever going to make the car faster in the future you will have to have a scantool anyway. It is well worth the money whether you are making it quicker or just getting it to run properly.

i checked all the sensors and the piping to make sure there were no leaks or anything it has a ancient b4 chip from dynotech in nj aftermarket boost gauge,k&n filter, aftermarket piping ,fuel pressure regulator, exhaust and some chrome also the t.v. cable is out of adjustment i actually need a new one i found it had some good o'l elctrical tape on it

For everyday driving, Scanmaster 2.1. You better get a new chip also. Contact Eric Marshall, he owns TurboTweak. www.turbotweak.com

If you wanna throw some money down and use a laptop, use turbolink or direct scan, but those require laptop's with a DOS program.

-Adam

Since you are in Mass., would recommend taking it by Jack Cotton's shop www.cottonsperformance.com and have him take a look at it. Jack is one heck of a Buick mechanic, plus good people to boot. Another person to check with is Russ Merritt, who is in Carver. He's another good Buick guy who knows his stuff about these cars.

If the TV cable is screwed up, then the car isn't going to shift like it should. That would account for the goofy revs/shifts. Definitely get a scan tool of some sort....they are a lifesaver and make troubleshooting/tuning these cars much easier. For daily use, go with the Scanmaster 2.1 as was suggested. For more in-depth information, then you step up to the Turbolink or Direct Scan programs. These cars will drive you nuts sometimes when little hiccups show up, but when they are running right...... :biggrin:

Grrr.....I hate when a douple post happens. My wireless hiccuped.....lol.

That TV cable ....

would account for the hi rpm's, if it is out too far, will cause the tranny to slip. :eek:

i appreciate the help guys i had built a 10 sec umm huhh mustang :rolleyes: but this is a totally diffrent animal and a whole new learning experience

badbuford said:
i appreciate the help guys i had built a 10 sec umm huhh mustang :rolleyes: but this is a totally diffrent animal and a whole new learning experience

Russ Merritt is in your back yard 1-508-866-5499 ... He eats and sleeps Buicks :eek: