Ignition Key Problem??

roc's nitemare

nitemare
has anybody had a bad ignition key ?? i have beentrouble shooting car and found that if i wiggle key, car dies????? how hard is this to change??:confused: does steering colum need to be dissasembled to fix??

The actual switch is at the base of the steering column. It's not too bad to get to as long as you don't mind working upside down, lol. It's mounted on the top of the column near the base.

I assume you're working on a Regal. The most likely problem is the ignition switch on top of the steering column. You need to remove center piece below the column, if you have a shift indicator in the instrument cluster, there is a small cable and clip on the right side of column bowl, (be sure to note it's location before removing.) 2 15mm bolts up and behind the column bowl. Lower the column enough to get you hand on top of the column. There are 2 switches. One that has the medal rod sticking in it is the high beam control. The other is ignition switch. The high beam switch is attached to the ignition switch. IMPORTANT The high beam switch is adjusted on the igniton switch, so you have to mark its location on igniton switch before removing. Then remove the igniton switch noting its location. Install the new switch and reinstall the high beam switch. (don't forget to put the rod back into the high beam switch. Once you have both into place, test them for proper operation before putting the column back up. If the ignition doesn't work in all position, readjust. Same for the high beam switch. As a note test the high beam switch with steering wheel tilted down and up. :eek: I missed that one before myself and couldn't turn off the brights while the wheel was tilted down. once you are satisfied, reinstall and you're done.