Ideas on how to fix corrosion on chrome rims?

fullahotair

I picked up some chrome 2001 Seville STS rims to put on my Regal GS, since my current chrome rims are leaking badly due to corrosion. The "new" rims show some corrosion on the lip where the tire seals. My plan is to hit those areas with a wire wheel to clean it up and perhaps use some POR15 or something similar to seal them and prevent future potential issue…or at least postpone the issue.

Does anyone have a better idea or recommendations? anything better than POR15?

Thanks
Nate

Wirewheeling will probably make the metal too smooth for POR to stick well. Likely you will need to have them beadblasted, duct-taping the chrome face off so it doesn't get damaged. And if you go that far, powdercoating cost versus paying for the POR is likely going to get pretty close to equal.

Check with your local tire professionals. They will have a source for a liquid bead sealant for the lip of the rim. As JL recommends above; glass bead blasting would be best to refinish the alloy wheel's corroded surface.

Corrosion in the tire bead area can easily be fixed with a course Scotch Brite pad. You do not need to blast them or even wire wheel them. If the corrosion is that bad, that there is missing material after you clean it...let a tire shop make the call on how to fix them. Other then that, they will just brush something onto them before mounting. Be careful because they are not chrome plated, they are vapor deposition coated. It chips easier then chrome because its much much thicker.

Thanks for the ideas..i knew you guys would have some thoughts on the matter. I found a local shop the does rims. I plan on taking them there to see what they suggest. They just need to outlast the car which is hopefully 3 to 4 years and not leak down quickly -filling up my damn tires every couple days drives me nuts...

Nate

Tire slime really works. I used it on my lawnmower and it cured an air loss problem for me. It is not explosive either like fix-a-flat (that I am aware of, I think slime is inert).