IC effeciency

Swede2

I dont know anything!
Hi.

I really wonder how effective our stock location IC:s are ?

Is there anyone that have compared the stock IC to a front mount one on a TTA ? And in that case how much did it differ between thoose in degrees or ET times ?

As Melvin said to me a couple of days ago, the stock IC must be exposed by a lot of heat from the turbo, caused by the stupid location of the IC. So if you move the IC a little bit forward to get away from the turbo, you must gain pretty much on it ?

Daniel

may not be the best in the world but we have gone 11.3s @121 with a stocker .. wife went 11.9s@ 115 as a stock car ... sooo can't be all that bad !! :p

Yes I know that its possible to run nice times on a stock IC. Lunkan here in Sweden ran a 11.73 stock. Julio did a low 11 ? And Bo... did 11.34 right ? But was it on the stocker...

Also, a front mount will not be so good in daily driving, cause it is not letting the air into the engine radiator at low speeds... or something ?

Daniel

Stock IC is more than adequate for our cars into the 10's. I went 123 MPH on the stock IC. And also had run an 11.40 on radials stock IC. I put the front mount on and the only thing it picked up was boost after installing it. No ET reduction.

You have the alky to reduce your temps...

HTH

When talking about alky... did you use the same amount of alky when you had change to the front mount ? Or was it lesser due to the lower temps in the intake air ?

Daniel

You can get away using less, but me.. I always keep turning the screws to extract more power. :D

70% efficient. This according to Pacific Coast Performance after they did some pyrometer testing on a chassis dyno with a stock TTA. #'s of course would be higher out on the road.

There was reams of data about this on the old GNTTYPE.org lists, but the difference between a TR and TTA comparison would obviously be a TR can flow a lot more air through a front-mount that the pointy-nosed TTA.

Although the stocker gets a lot of internal heat, the temp reduction between turbo outlet and what goes into the motor is amazing.