IAT - what does it do, really?

edfiero1

Am I correct in thinking that the Hot Air cars did not come with an Intake Air Temp sensor??

I have an 84 that was converted to an 87 ECU. Last night after looking at my Powerlogger data I see the IAT at 71 degrees, when its about 30 outside. After looking around I don't see any place to stick a temp sensor in the intake path. I guess the Bozo that did this conversion, didn't bother to install an IAT when he switched the ECU and the 71 degrees is some kind of default value.

So the question becomes, since the ECU is seeing the wrong temperature what does that impact ??

I am trying to track down the cause of an intermittent engine miss problem that started about the time the weather got cold. So far I've only seen the problem when the car is cold and first started. I put the powerlogger on it last night, but didn't see any codes and all other readings seemed pretty normal.

It's prob hidden somewhere in the engine bay. For it to read 71 I think it is there. If unplugged they typically peg the temp range, such as -40*F or similar.

It’s in the stock air intake elbow. Right above air filter. Most of us drill a hole in the k&n air filter for it and the fast or speed density setups move it to the doghouse to measure air temps in the intake. It’s probably there. Does the temperature change at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s in the stock air intake elbow. Right above air filter. Most of us drill a hole in the k&n air filter for it and the fast or speed density setups move it to the doghouse to measure air temps in the intake. It’s probably there. Does the temperature change at all?

Are you saying this is where it is in the HOT AIR cars, or this is where it is on the 86/87 cars? My stock intake has no provision for a sensor.
The temp never moves. Stuck at 71.
My theory is that the Hot Airs cars don't have one, the previous owner put in an 87 ECU, but never added the IAT sensor. He lived in a warm climate, so he didnt care. Now I have the car and its 25 degrees out and I am wondering if not having the ECU see a correct value is causing any issues.

71 F is the default value if the sensor is unplugged. It won't affect the tune in your case, and isn't causing your miss issue.

That’s where the sensor is on 86/87 and Eric makes the chips so if he says that’s not it I would believe him.