I thought I had this problem fixed.......

Patriot_tech

Hi guys,

I am having an issue with my car and hopefully someone can offer some help. I posted about this about a year ago, but can't seem to find the thread. Search isn't working right.

Basically, when I am starting the car and it will turning over for a couple seconds, then stumble and sound like it sucking in air, then it will go back to normal and start. Sometimes it will start right up and others it will be a slower more labored start.

It was suggested in the previous thread to replace the FP which I did with a walbro. I also hotwired it and added an adj FPR. In addition, the car has 3" DP, Pypes Exhaust, RJC powerplate, K&N, voltbooster, stock turbo and IC. I have Alky and TT43# inj and chip waiting to go on it.

I am now thinking its plugs, wires, coil pack. Am I off base? At WOT I seems to have a slight miss, but I'm not totally sure of that since I have not driven it in the winter months. Just something I remember from last fall the last couple times I drove it.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Have you inspected the crank sensor bracket and/or popped the top of the cam sensor and looked at the wheel?

Maybe its the MAF sensor? Can you swap in a known good one? I had starting problems a couple times and it was the MAF both times.

I have not done either of those things. I will do asap and post back. Any other things I should be looking at?

Never hurts to change the plugs and wires if you don't know how old they are. My gas mileage dropped way off on a trip once. I changed the fuel filter and that fixed it. So don't forget the fuel filter!

Fuel filter was changed when I did the pump and hotwire. Will hopefully do some investigating this weekend.

I will see if I can source a MAF to test also.

No, it's almost like a 'pop' where it sounds like its sucking in air. It will turn over like normal - then it sounds like someone flicking their finger on top of a can and air getting sucked in. Then it stops and turns over and starts fine.

The first few times it scared the crap out of me so I let off the key. Then I just held the key til it started and found out whats described above. Maybe I'll try to video it as I am starting it.

Kind of sounds like a timing issue. Have you verified that the cam sensor is set correctly?

I have checked any of the above yet. I'd really like to have someone with more knowledge than I help figure it out. I'm sure I can, just have not done it before.

There is a local guy that I have dealt with in the past, but he doesn't seem to be too interested in some extra cash. Talked to him once and now he won't respond to texts.

I am in Akron Ohio. Maybe I'll post and see who's in the area. Anybody near me reading this?