I think the GTO is gonna be in trouble

you mean is in trouble!
At least SLP is going to try some stuff to make it look better than what GM is offering.

yea, but a BASE GTO starting at $35k, add some options, and than add an SLP package your looking at close to if not $40k.....I'll take a Cobra.

Yeah...it's going to "start" at $35k. Throw in a couple of options...maybe a CD changer, traction control, upgraded rolling stock...and I'll bet it'll be $38-39k in the blink of an eye. :rolleyes: I also think that car will be lucky to run 13's off the showroom floor as tested by most major car rags. Sure...there will be a few freaks in owners hands that'll run a few ticks faster, but it's going to be heavier than the F-body and have a different powerband.

I remember having this discussion on LS1.com, where some of those fools had it stuck in their head that the new GTO would be ~$30k and run low-13's off the showroom floor. A "Cobra-killer" is what they thought it would be. An '03 Cobra will probably drop a GTO like a bag of dirt.
S.

aussies dont like traction control

with the right cam this wont be a dog...irs or not

the car is not that heavy

the downfall to it all is the price...the aftermarket will not embrace it as much as the f-bodies if they are hiked up. I only work on a few cobras because they are pretty pricey already and not many people dump money on them then pay to make it go faster. There are a ton of f-bodies owned by a demographic range that wants to go faster and did not spend a fortune (on average) on their car.

the AU spec monaro only has a few options (dvd navigation, assist (onstar)....just stuff like that they come loaded

but the show car GTO dint have the climate control which is standard on a monaro so who really knows.

Jon

If they don't put the GTO emblem on it they wouldn't sell half as many. Sort of reminds me when they put a GTO emblem on the 74 edition, (just a rebadged Nova). For that price, I would find a GNX and a beater T-Type.

It is not a very distinctive looking car. Looks like something a teenager or soccer mom would drive.

SFC Thomas Chapman
US Army

Buy that thing as is.

Put a turbo kit on it and a FAST or DFI on it and you will have a monster for the street or strip..

And no one will figure out what it is until it is way too late.:D

Originally posted by jon_we4
I only work on a few cobras because they are pretty pricey already and not many people dump money on them then pay to make it go faster.

Really? Well things must be slow in WI, down here almost everyone I know that has a 03 Cobra started modding it in the first month. :confused:

Originally posted by Red Regal T
ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THAT CHEVY, THAT LOOKS LIKE A MUSTANG, THAT HAS A PONTIAC BADGE? :rolleyes: OH!

Dude, you're smoking crack if you think that thing looks like a Mustang.

Nothing will kill this car faster than the MSRP, at $35k the car is way to expensive, and MSRP was one of the big reasons the Firebird and Camaro aren't around anymore.

GM is pricing the car beyond the reach of people who will want them most, mainly those in their twenties in college or just out of school looking for a practical performance car.

I think they've done a fabulous job with the car so far, and the styling is great IMO, but the price will destroy any hopes of it being a big seller considering the Cobra, and that BMW shoppers are never going to cross shop Pontiacs no matter how good they are.

The reason there are no serious mods on an 03 cobra is because they don't need them. Pulley, exhaust and K&N and some guys are trapping in the 120's!! That long block does not need to be opened up. The most major mod I can think of them doing is a Kenne Bell charger, and I think those will put some well into the 10's. Ford got that car right.

Pontiac Marauder. Manufacturers need to combine torquey performance with reasonable price tag. Seems the imports have a corner on performance, with 350Z and related cars, RX8, S2000, WRX, Evo. Did I just say that? That really sucks. A good American V8, or turbo/SC's V6, at or under 25k with real torque and power without revving to 7000 would clean up. Hope that new Mustang will come in around that.
GM saying that the GTO isn't a retro attempt but still using the name is BS. Can't have you cake and eat it too. Still, glad to see a V8 & RWD comeback, regardless of name issues. Maybe it'll evolve into something we all like, if it lasts. Hope they're smart enough to give it a real shot, unlike Mercury with the Marauder.

I don't mind the appearance of the car, its the price tag. Aussie cars are built cheaper. I can't understand why it costs more than a top of the line f-body did last year.:confused:

Originally posted by GNSCOTT
I don't mind the appearance of the car, its the price tag. Aussie cars are built cheaper. I can't understand why it costs more than a top of the line f-body did last year.:confused:

Agreed.

I couldn't afford a new F-body, and I can't afford a new goat either. I have a decent paying job and a small mortgage too.

Now, if they revived the Buick GSX on that platform, complete with spoilers, hood tach, and a 400" motor, I'd HAVE to buy one. :D :D :D

- Freed

The new GTO is a rear-wheel drive high-performance coupe with a 5.7-liter engine derived from the Chevrolet Corvette. Pontiac officials say the car's acceleration, handling and braking will be the best ever in a GTO.

But fans of the car say that's not good enough. They are angry that Pontiac ignored the GTO's heritage by leaving off such things as the signature twin hood scoops and a dual exhaust system - a part of every GTO of the 1960s and 1970s.

But this was no oversight by Pontiac, says GTO brand manager Robert Kraut. He says Pontiac is designing a new image for the car, not building a flash-in-the-pan retro car that fades after a few years of hot sales. The GTO, he promises, will have several life cycles.

Kraut acknowledges that the strategy means alienating some of the people most passionate about the GTO.

I'M ALREADY ALIENATED! IT'S A CHEVY, AIN'T IT? :rolleyes:

I'm just waiting for Dodge to bring back the Challenger or Charger with RWD & a Hemi:cool: