I think it's a Fish Story...

DeltaT

This little gem just happened. You might think I would know better than to jury-rig crap like this:

I'm breaking in my 81 Malibu motor - it's got maybe 125 miles on it.

I hooked up a cheapo mechanical oil pressure gauge (with the small, white nylon oil line) just to have a reading until I put back in my little gauge cluster.

I temporarily attached the gauge to my emergency brake pedal, which doesn't get used.

Additionally, I've had some oil leak problems, and just put some flourescent dye in the oil to trace the leak.

Well, today, I caught my shoe on the edge of the gauge and twisted it a little. Stopped and got gas, straightened it out, and got about 1/2 mile from my house, accelerating a bit, and I feel my left sneaker getting warm. I look down and there is a little freakin firehose of bright yellow 10W-40 oil shooting onto my almost new sneaker. Like a half-quart of oil already and it's coming out fast. I try to put my finger over the end but there's good pressure and IT'S HOT. I pull over and reach down and grab the line and bend it in half to close it and then I drive back home with half my body hunched under the dashboard holding this oil friggin artery.

Took 3 hours to get the carpet, driveway and sneakers clean, and they still feel slick.

Don't F&*% Up like I did. If the car had been running longer, it could have caused bad burns.

J

holy crap, that happened to a buddy of mine and he almost ran the motor out of oil, although the leak did not happen inside and he didn't get a case of hot foot :eek: . It's a good thing you noticed...

When I used to sell cars, I drove an older Taurus home one night. Well I was cruising down the interstate and felt my foot getting warm, but thought it was just the heater. When I got home, and opened the door the floorboard was soaked in trans fluid. "What the hell is this I thought?" Long story short, trans fluid was coming up the speedo cable from the tranny and dripping out of the cluster, down the dash and dripping on my foot.

A buddy of mine had a bad-ass 68 Camaro (10 sec. car) when we were in high school. He had a date that night, anyway he had just went to pick up his date in new clothes and a freshly clean car. That junky nylon line broke and squirted hot oil on him and this girl. Nobody was really burned, but he had been trying to hook up with her for over 6 months. She was pissed. The moral of the story, if the head cheerleader is pissed at you its hard to get a date with any of the other ones.

DeltaT said:
(with the small, white nylon oil line)

I had one of those split going thur the lights at a 100 plus one afternoon. Mine completely oiled down the windshield. BTW, you can really crank down a door window pretty quick when you have to see where you're going. :)
Wound up having to look out the door window to see ANYTHING.

Ask me why I only plumb with AN lines, now.

there is a reason why nhra, and a lot of other places don't allow plastic lines for anything going in the car (boost lines are ok)

i know nhra only allows braided steel or copper. or better yet spend the extra bit of money and get a good electric unit.

that does suck, and i'm sorry but i did have to laugh a little. :biggrin:

denn,

I posted it because it was so stupid it was funny!

Went like this:

:confused:

:eek:

:mad:

:redface:

Every other line on my car is Earl's braided steel but I still chose to dick around with this plastic crap to save 5 minutes...

Jim

DeltaT said:
Every other line on my car is Earl's braided steel but I still chose to dick around with this plastic crap to save 5 minutes...

I think there's some joke material in there.... :)